No IAP, Timers done right?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by J Cousteau, Feb 24, 2014.

1. J Cousteau

J Cousteau Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    So these ideas, these mechanics; this isn't something you guys would want to do everyday?

If you found out there was no purpose to playing a game, would you still play it or just quit as soon as you found out once your character dies, you lose everything?

2. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I think your interpreting us wrong... We'll, me at least. I personally LOVE roguelikes. I have a lot on my steam account. I do like there to be some form of progress, like maybe you can get a small stat boost or keep a slightly better weapon, but I'd definintly buy your game... If it didn't have timers and consumables. That's my personal only problem with it. I wanna buy it and be done. Expansions? Sure. But I don't want a 'sorry, you can't play the game YOU bought for 4-8 hours unless you pay an extra dollar'.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You can dress it up anyway you want. I wont play a game with timers, i buy a LOT of games every month, i dont wait for sales, i buy games asap as i want the devs to get as much money as poss.

But if a game has timers i'll stay away and spend my money elsewhere. Same for consumables. Its obviously a tough market out there, i dont personally think timers are the answer but obviously thats up to you.

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#24 Bronxsta, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    The game itself is the purpose to keep playing, not some timer or currency setup. I love roguelikes. The concept of dealing with the hand you're dealt, using your skills to get as far as possible, being punished for your poor tactics by losing your progress and starting again from square one, is what makes roguelikes and similar games so appealing. That severe consequence, the ever-looming threat of permadeath is what makes these games so tense and victory so rewarding

It should be noted, that these opinions we're giving you, is probably not representative of the majority of the IOS market. We're not the kind of IOS gamers who push Candy Crush or Clash of Clans to the top of the free charts. For the most part (hope I'm not overgeneralizing here, guys) we'd rather pay for games upfront rather than deal with IAP and seeing that a game will be free to play is something to be wary of, a concerning red flag

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Reading through this thread makes me realize its existence seems pointless. Someone asks for opinions on his ideas and everything that doesnt agree with it gets shut down.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree. This perhaps isnt the right site to try and get people excited about a freemium game with lots of IAP's and timers.

As you say we're not the types to get excited by Clash of Clans or Candy Crush. But to be fair people do like/play/put tons of money into those games so thats the market this guy needs to be aiming at.

7. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Totally agree, we are hardcore gamers (hope I'm not overgeneralizing too) who will gladly pay upfront to have a full game over a free one (also agree about the red flag warning) any time of the week.

And as for timers, they only should exist in cooldown abilities like in Bug Heroes 2.

If a game has timers that asks you to wait to be able to play again, I press the home button, delete the game, delete also the GameCenter info, ask Apple for a refund and never buy a game from that developer again...

8. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Yep, exactly.

9. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    #29 tea, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    LOL sorry I have to re-quote but this should be in a game, not about a game.
    You pique my (dev) curiosity. What are you up to really?
    Maybe I should make a game about your design process.

Ah wait. Reading through it would appear that this was, indeed, sarcasm.
    Well you've already got pointers from other players regarding life versus escapism.

You lost me at "no IAP" (but lots of in-game currencies?). So what you really mean is stuff is bought via game coins, which can be acquired via.... IAPs, right? So, no IAP?

Unless you have a hidden purpose, asking players about IAPs on ANY game forum is awkward - as you ought to know, 5-10% of players are willing to use IAPs no matter how well designed or not? And just because they use them doesn't mean they'll tell you that they like them, or how they want them to be designed.

Somebody suggested you should drop by the dev forum. And this is turning into a dev's answer which is probably not what you're after.

10. thegraywolf

thegraywolf Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    I don't see the Timer as a good element. As a matter of fact, if you keep me off the game for 4-8 hours, that's more than enough time for me to find another one and never return.. There's too much going on here. In my opinion, you need to re-organize your thoughts. I'm sure there are lot of guys here with Dev background that can help and give inputs that you seek.

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Thread seems like a bit of a have tbh

12. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    Okay I think I get what this guy is going for. He wants to create a persistent online world, so perhaps the timer is designed as part of that experience or to prevent people from taking advantage of some time-based mechanic in-game?

Everything about the original concept I'm fine with except for three things.

1. The timer, but only because there doesn't seem to be a stated reason for why it is necessary. Like I said above, there could very well be a reason for it but just having timers is a big turn-off for the crowd you're trying to draw. I get that you want the roguelike feel of real-life limitations like hunger and stamina, but those are actual game systems while a timer is the antithesis of gameplay in that their only function is to stop people from playing the game.

2. Where is the monetization? The post states that there is no IAP so the game must either be premium or ad-supported. The fact that the true price of the game isn't even mentioned despite IAPs being talked about might seem a bit suspicious.

3. I hate online-only games and refuse to play them (with very few exceptions) on principle, especially on mobile. This is just a personal thing though, I'm crazy and paranoid about online-only games since I've seen some of them die in less than a year even with big publisher backing. I'm sure other people would be totally fine with it. If you're trying to make something like an MMO then I wish you all the best, but I personally will not play it ever.