Your definition of twitch games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by coolpepper43, Mar 11, 2014.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Do you guys agree with the Wikipedia article about twitch gaming?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_gameplay

It seems like their definition is almost nothing like how we think, or at least I think of the genre. It's like almost any game every made could be called twitchy by their definition. When I think of twitch games I think of very hard usually fast paced games that do not give you extra lives or save points that revolve around reflexes. They are typically about avoiding things or not falling. On mobile gaming it seems that there are a bunch that have nauseating trippy effects. Wave wave, super hexagon, duet and boson x are games that I consider twitchy. Am I completely wrong about this?

2. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    #2 Topherunhinged, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    Pretty much wrong, but not entirely off. Quake 3 Arena has long been considered a game with twitch elements on PC. The important distinction for classifying twitch is that a games entire mechanic must revolve almost entirely around fast reflexes and naught else. In Quake 3, while a shooter and having other considerations, fast reflexes are a lynchpin to play.

You're correct in that they're often very hard and very fast-paced, again Quake 3 Arena. The games you listed on iOS, though I have not played, are probably twitch games but the genre is not as limited as you define.

Many 90's shooters, shumps and puzzle games certainly qualify as twitch; even Statcraft 2, along with other RTS's, contains a number of twitch elements. Nowadays I'd even include Moba's like Leauge of Legends as near to the twitch genre.

*I'd throw endless runners into this genre as well, certainly Canabalt would qualify. ...and to be fair twitch is more of a gameplay mechanic than a genre; though pure twitch games, mostly older titles, high-score games, certainly comprise a sub-genre.

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    If Andy C83 is dominating the leaderboard, it's a twitch game

4. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    this.

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Yeah, that's what wiki should change their definition of twitch entry too.

6. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Quake arena has long been the standard bearer for twitch play.

In competitive CS you have basically gave 2 kinds of players, strategic players, and twitch players.

I have long associated twitch with shooters.