Universal Flipping Legend (by Hiding Spot Games and Noodlecake)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Ryan_Noodle, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Does the ninja have a deadpool skin? If not please add one. Just black and red combo and I'll be happy lol

2. neca

neca Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Great game, the mechanics work perfectly! You should add bosses and new levels!! And please don't add an option to continue, I believe that this is what makes the game so great.

3. caroparo

caroparo Active Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Great game! Terrific polished gameplay. However I found it hard to continue due to steep unlock cost/gold per run ratio. Skins with only color variation are big bummer to get as rewards; also very little room to try out different skill trees. IAP-wise I hope there are options to get guaranteed coins; I don't remember if there were sample legendary chests, but as someone not interested in skins I found them unappealing. Also the UI pixels have some big distortions on my iPhone 7 similar to what was described in Unity blog:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/06/19/pixel-perfect-2d/

4. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Oh that's exactly what I was looking for actually, however it seems a little harsh not to refund the coins? I'll lose around 7k now if I want to re-spec my level 10 character which is a lot considering the rate at which coins are earned. Would it not be more fair to change this somewhat, maybe so half the coins spent are refunded?

5. hidingspot2

hidingspot2 Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Glad your digging it.
    I have to say I lost far too much development time "playtesting" :)

Once you get the knack of the game it's just so satisfying charging along.

6. hidingspot2

hidingspot2 Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Any resemblance to well know characters are purely coincidental.

But I think a red and black ninja outfit would look awesome :)

7. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Oh right sorry. Well I love the Sunny in Phililadelphia coincidence with the green suit!

8. hidingspot2

hidingspot2 Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Don't worry, there will never ever be a continue option. The portals are our concession towards the difficulty players can experience in the game, and allow you to pick up almost where you left off while keeping the integrity of highscores.

New levels will be coming soon and Boss fights are definitely on our to do list. For the initial release we really wanted to focus on the core mechanics and making everything as responsive and polished as possible. We've got a lot of options for adding more content and expanding the gameplay. Just need to prioritise :)

9. hidingspot2

hidingspot2 Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Haha, that was Matt's idea, he'll be pleased.

10. hidingspot2

hidingspot2 Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Hi, It's great your enjoying the game. We've really been blown away by the positive responses we've had.

Sorry you are struggling to get enough gold, its a hard balance to strike as in earlier beta's players were flush with it. Here are a few tips you could try:

Lay off using the portals for a while, they'll tap you out pretty quickly if you over do it.
    Focus on your kill streak - getting a new high score gives you a big gold bonus.
    Try upgrading the Ninja with the coin collection skills.

If all else fails the Legend Chests give you a mix of legendary skins, and big gold payouts. There are no guarantees about how much you'll get but you shouldn't be disappointed.

11. hidingspot2

hidingspot2 Member

Jun 18, 2017
    This is something we considered. But on the balance, we wanted the decisions made when upgrading to feel significant.

Level 10 characters have new XP converted to gold at the end of each run, hopefully this helps offset the cost of a re-spec.

12. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Yeah I like the extra gold from level 10s a lot. Fair enough if it's something you tried, I'll look into a re spec once I've unlocked all the characters :)

13. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    First, I really like this game. the complaint I have is that I suck and can't get past the caves. Haven't made it through even once.

As far is the gold is concerned, I have more gold than I can spend. I get gold from chests all the time and have played through the first area so many times I'm at the point where I pick up or kill everything there.

14. hidingspot

hidingspot Active Member

My suggestion is to choose upgrades in the skill tree that help with the caves until you get a hang of the lava and rock throwers. For example, almost all characters have access to the shield upgrade. That'll help with the thrown rocks and lava. Some characters (the Archer for example) even have access to a helmet upgrade which deflects all projectiles (those pesky thrown rocks). Lastly, upgrading the primary and special ability will generally make the game easier. Hope that helps!

Don't worry though, you'll get a hang of the caves with practice. They are definitely tough at first.

15. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Yeah good suggestion!

16. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Also, flipping cool game :)

17. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    This game is so fun. I've really loved the difficulty curve and how much I've been able to feel my skills progress — I can consistently make it to the castle now where I used to struggle even in the graveyard. It's also such a great game for getting into a flow state — it's super satisfying when you can move really fast through the first area on autopilot.

I have to agree with others that coin income seems low. My archer is nearly level 10, so maybe those bonus coins (converting extra XP) will make a difference. As is, it's going to take so much saving to unlock the other characters that I am completely discouraged from re-speccing or using the portal.

Is there a good reason for the portal, other than jumping to the area where the daily mission's targets are? Do later enemies give better XP?

18. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    With my level 10 ninja and all the coin related upgrades I can make over 400 gold a run, the upgrades doing most of the work.

19. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    almost 200k players in game center! incredible succes curve!

20. hidingspot

hidingspot Active Member

Keep an eye out for the update coming later today (assuming it passes review in a timely manner). You should see chests more frequently on the board, which will hopefully get you some solid gold drops. In addition to that, we have some more significant changes planned for the future which will likely address gold amounts as well.

Taking a portal has some upsides and downsides, which is by design. Enemies are worth 1 additional XP in each progressive environment. For example, forest bandits are worth 1 point (5 at max combo), and zombies are worth 2 points (6 at max combo). So, you can get XP faster in later stages, but if you are shooting for a high score it's probably best to start at the forest so you don't miss that easy early XP. Gold is also more present in later areas. Your distance score actually takes portal distance into account. So if you zip to the cemetery, you will already have ~75 as your distance score. And as you mention, it can get you quicker to areas you need for a challenge or practice. All that being said, the gold cost is there to make it more of a decision to use the portal than an automatic thing.