Best Movie Player?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Isilel, Oct 16, 2011.

1. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #21 violentv, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

Patent troll Dolby has pwned all 3rd party movie and video players in the Appstore by demanding large sums of cash to use their patented AC3 decoder.

This essentially makes all video players in the appstore useless..well...at least I still have my old backups of the app files and XBMC to fall back upon(poor Hi10p support though..dammit!). Not sure how new iOS users will cope.
    =/

AV Player was the 1st victim( got pulled from the Appstore). Power player, OPlayer,Buzz player, Gplayer(my player of choice) etc followed... I guess the only player left with AC3 support now is rush player. It is better than anything else in the Appstore now (and before) so long if you don't need hi10p (10 bit) video decoding.

Aceplayer has always belonged at the bottom of the barrel. Azul player is a movie player with a lot of flash but no bang...the developers have been adding lots of funtionalities but they have yet to improve video playback even once after 1-2 years x_X

If you are jailbroken you can try out XBMC(Free) and rushplayer+(Not free) on cydia . Video playback is pretty damn smooth even for non iOS native video formats thanks to real hardware decoding

Edit: Ah yes...iphone 5-->iOS6.0 --> not jailbroken. My bad. Just get rush player for 720p non 10 bit mkv files..get it quickly too before Dolby comes knocking at their doors.

2. graffekta

graffekta Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    London
    I will try Rush player, thanks very much!

3. graffekta

graffekta Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    London
    Looks like they already got Rush Player. mkvs with AC3 don't have any sound.

Ah well.

4. JimKelly

JimKelly New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Azul player

I would highly recommend using Azul player in that case. AV player is also a good alternative.

5. ray1302

ray1302 Active Member

Sep 22, 2012
  6. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    CineXplayer seems to pay their license fees to Dolby..

7. bossepy

bossepy Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Does your app support 16:9 iphone 5 resolution? Anyone know any video player that support this resolution?

8. Rokrdude

Rokrdude Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Having tried almost 10 different movie apps I must say currently Its playing is the best.AV player HD used to be pretty good but now its messed up.

9. ray1302

ray1302 Active Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Sorry, it doesn't support iphone5 yet.

10. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Does It's Playing do ac3?

11. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    To answer my own question, "It's Playing" do support ac3, DTS etc. So I guess they're paying Dolby the license fees. On top of that it's a great player, got some HD video with DTS sound playing smoothly over wifi/SMB share on iPad 2 and iPhone 5 using "It's Playing" software codecs only. 4 bucks, but in this case you actually get a fully working player (only one more in the AppStore as far as I know that still got ac3 and so on), and a really good one at that.