Any Side-Scrolling RPGs?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Avatre, May 3, 2013.

1. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi :)

I've recently been playing Zombieville USA 2 and Dinocap and I wondered if there were any games for the iPad with the same side-scrolling style based more around levels with rpg mechanics? Maybe even character customization? Zombieville 2 is far too much of a grind for my liking, Dinocap I really like but it has no end or story and I do like my games to end sometimes (just not too quickly!)

I have tried Fangz and while I like the style I don't like to be rushed towards the end of a level with a timer.

Thank you.

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Mighty Wardens (my personal recommend) and maybe Call of Mini: Brawlers is what you may be looking for, the first moreso than the latter. For a more KRPG direction with heavier RPG elements in it (these gams you mention and the ones above are more Hack & Slash, which while there are numbers and leveling, I feel don't really fall into true RPG status), try Illusia 2 (its free, Gamevil) though the controls are a bit clunky, the mindless hack and slashing is somewhat satisfying and there is tons of loot to be had and stats to fiddle and an actual perfunctory story with quests as elementary as they may be!

There are more I am sure I am missing, but I can't think of them right off!

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Swordigo is brilliant if you haven't tried it yet.

4. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I've had swordigo for quite a while but haven't played it recently, might be worth a reinstall. I'll give Illusia 2 a try and I was looking at Inkvaders though I know that's not the RPG I was asking for. I quite like the look of Mighty Wardens as well so I think I'll give that a go too, thank you :)

I've tried the Call of Mini: Brawlers and didn't like that very much, though I can't say why.

Is Illusia 2 reliant on IAP to complete?

5. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Well, its a Gamevil game... There's a reason why I mentioned it in the previous post, hehe!

Honestly though, it can be done without and I didn't find it too bad though it will require some grinding, though I felt the grinding didn't feel bad, and I am one that usually hates excessive grinding! I didn't find the grinding that bad and I never felt I hit a paywall with it like i do with most of their games!

Good call on Swordigo, that was one I forgot! And I agree with you on CoM:B, I like it but it is not a must play for me either. I do recommend Mighty Wardens though!

6. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Side scrolling RPGs eh..Try Evertales by cresent moon games..

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Side-but-not-scrolling, high score type of RPG i'll recommend: Slayin.

Other than that, yeah, Swordigo is tops.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    All Gamevil side-scrolling RPGs are free now ;)

Oh, for a lot of good laughs, try Elphis.

9. Man-E-Faces

Man-E-Faces Member

May 3, 2013
    I don't know if it's still in the app store, but there was a game with (IIRC) "Vampire" in the title. Sorta metroidvania style.

10. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Theres one game that popped into my head when I read side scrolling rpg.

Fastar

11. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I have Colosseum Heroes, Mighty Wardens, Inkvaders, Illusia 2 and Elphis now, looking forward to giving all of those a go.

Fastar is one I've looked at before and looks quite good, but it's only for the iPhone or x2 zoom I believe? I've also got Slayin' but I didn't get on well with that, I'm not a fan of endless games really (aside from Zombie Tsunami!), or of starting from scratch when you die.

Those should keep me going for a while though, thank you for all the replies :)

12. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Is Mighty Wardens worth getting? I have it on my wishlist but I've never been sure it's more than a Battleheart-clone game. Swordigo I keep hesitating to get because all of the platformer elements are intimidating.

Slayin is enjoyable, but I know what you mean about starting from scratch. It's good for a quick fix, though. I've heard good things about Illusia 2, I hope you enjoy it.

I really enjoyed 10000000 (I think that's the right number of zeroes...) if you like puzzle elements in your RPG, I'd definitely recommend it. :)

13. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Mighty Wardens is nothing like Battleheart it truly is a side scrolling action RPG with loot drops and stages and even towns. I would highly recommended as you have several characters and choose from and there is three player multiplayer as well! It's one of those often overlooked gems on iOS in my opinion!

14. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I like Mighty Wardens, the movement on it feels very light and responsive, but I am finding it really difficult at the minute (can't even beat the first boss ;)) Hopefully I'll see what I'm doing wrong soon enough. There is a free version of this you could try if you're unsure Enriana.

Illusia 2 is fun so far, though the controls feel a bit stiff in comparison. That's one I'll see to the end unless I hit a pay wall. The art style on it and the weird bobbing of the characters does hurt my eyes though ;) Still its a solid game with a bit of a story and side quests and such so its great.

I've only played a little bit of Elphis so far but that does seem a good one for a laugh!

Inkvaders is good, I like the art style and the play but I'm already a third of the way through that now and of course it's not in the least an RPG.

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #15 Vovin, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013

You mean Demon Hunter? That's a nice side-scolling RPG. That tA-thread is seriously huge, it was loved by our community:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=71398&highlight=demon+hunter

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/demon-hunter-ad-free/id429139343?mt=8

Vampire Slasher is also there. A side-scrolling slasher with RPG elements:

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/vampire-slasher-for-kth/id583752726?mt=8

16. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Metroidvania with "vampire" in the title? You sure you don't mean Mystery of the Japanese Werewolf (now called J-Werewolf: EP1)?

17. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Kind of surprised no one has mentioned "DragonSlasher". It's really good especially if you like challenging RPG games like Dark Souls.

18. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Mighty Wardens is very much an homage to Castle Crashers, I'm almost surprised gameloft didn't make it. Lots of non-required iap but if you decided to buy something you might have to drop a lot of dough, there are some pets that cost up to 10 dollars. Honestly I got bored relatively quickly but if I had some friends to play it with it might be fun.

Dragonslasher has a sweet art style, definitely tryig it out. I also want Swordigo pretty bad, should I wait for it to go on sale?

19. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    #19 7lilwhitewolf7, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    ThnX 4 that 1
    ThnX Vovin. Demon Hunter was my very 1st great game on my android. I put a lil over 120 hours on that thing when it came out. I might check it back out. I liked tha trading system.

When i got my iphone i tryd contacting tha developers of Full Metal Warriors 2 to port from android. No reply. should of never deleted to make room cuz it was pulled the next day. ima try contactin em again.

Try Kingdom & Dragons
    Wolf Boy -i liked how fastpaced it was.
    QT-5 -idea pleaze: !!u wizard u!!
    Brutal Fantasy: Orcs of Undermountain. I luv coinage sound efx.
    The Legend of Zelda: Adventure of Link 2 i2013
    L....O....L

Im havin alot of fun wit Sword of Inferno.
    You can mine at Elveswood's Wind Valley.
    It was easier for me wit Ash 7 Freya. Jus keep ya distance. When you get to the Green Dragon,
    *from a distance* position your shadow just below its shadow 7 when it starts to fly, move the ladies to the top area to wait for enchant circle for its fire breath attack then move out of harms way.

Ive noticed i could speed up attacks wit tha warrior 7 brute by taping tha directional button instead of holding 7 moving for attacks.
    Hope that helps ne1 out.

Attached Files:

20. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    There's also undeadcow's huge RPG list, there's a section for side scrolling RPGs and pretty much everything else. They're not all universal, though, so you might have to search a bit, but it's an awesome resource. :)