GameClub Incoboto (by Fluttermind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Personally, my favorite game EVER is Metroid II... So I was drawn to it mostly because of the exploration... But also because of the atmosphere. =o)

2. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    That's okay, I love, love, love your game despite the bugs (and control issues), and rated it highly on iTunes with a nice review too. Kill the hate with looooooovvvvvve. :)

If it would help to have my save game, let me know and I'll use iExplorer to go find and pull it (I'm not jailbroken). I'm on TestFlight, if that helps at all too.

I was most interested in Incoboto because of the story! That's what caught my eye and then the graphics made me want to buy it for sure. I wasn't sure if I was getting a puzzler or a platformer or an endless something, but that story, as presented, sounded compelling!

Really super-intelligent, nice, polite, kind, good-looking, etc., etc., I'm sure! :D

3. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    Well, a new version has gone up to the App Store today. I have super-crushed TWO annoying crashes. Count 'em! TWWWWOOOOO. I'm hoping that your freaky-deaky crash is one of them! I have had NOOOOO sleep! And caffeeeeine!*

Now that is... quite unexpected! But Dear God it bodes well for the next game...

*read this part in an Invader Zim voice.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Exactly that! Thank you for saving me the typing.

Must admit a painful fact, Dene. Haven't finished the game yet.
    In fact, I had to start over as I switched to my new iPad 3. But, never got around to even get near my iPad 2 savepoint as of yet.
    But now that there is love for Retina on the new iPad and you are polishing your gem even more, I really REALLY should get back into this game again gosh darnit!
    Shame on me!

PS: Your awesome game is the first icon (deserves it) on the first row in my "Adventure" group. The second practical purpose is that I am most likely to continue on your game before the others get a shot.

5. Ssylex

Ssylex Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    Software Engineer
    I'd have to go with a mix of A, B, C and D.

The graphics in the initial TA forum thread were intriguing, and earned my subscription to the thread. Your background in AAA titles led me to believe that the game would be polished. My history with games like Metroid and Castlevania draws me to exploration-ish games, and my experience with old-school adventure games (think old Sierra/Lucasarts games) leaves me with much nostalgia for puzzles (and exploration puzzles!).

I wasn't disappointed; beautiful game. :)

This was also the first game that I've ever felt compelled to gift to multiple people!

6. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Thanks so much!

I love Metroid, but Symphony of the Night must be one of the finest games ever created. Really, really amazing in scope and such fun to uncover every square.

Incidentally, you might like another really old game that inspired me a lot: "Exile".

7. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    For me it was mostly the positive feedback regarding its story and unusual world/environment. I love strange settings.

8. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Exile was a fantastic game,i think it was the amiga version i played and it was the reason i bought Waking Mars i just love the exploration part,but Exile was a very clever game.

9. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    One of my minor claims to fame was working with one of Exile's conversion coders on Dungeon Keeper. Woot!

10. Ssylex

Ssylex Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    Software Engineer
    Oh wow. I'd think working on Dungeon Keeper at all would be a MAJOR feather in anyone's cap, hehe.

11. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    I think it was the last proper 'small team' game I worked on*. After that, the industry kind of went... BOOOOOOM! Most of us were lucky to go on to do other cool stuff, too: Halo, Fable, Battlefield, Little Big Planet... I've been able to work with really talented guys overall.

*Inco doesn't count, being just me.

12. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    It's live! It's live!! WHOOOOHOOOOOO!!! Thank you! Downloading now!

I'll report back later about my crash. xxoo :)

13. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    I'm going to be AFK for about 3 weeks (cue the sound of feet pattering into the distance), so I won't hear you. :)

I'll check back again when I'm back online, but hopefully all should be lovely-silky-smooth death-and-depression, just like you all wished for.

Woohoo!

-Dene

14. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    For when you get back then...

IT WORKS!! IT WORKS!! Oh happy 'lovely-silky-smooth death-and-depression' day! I can now enjoy my juiced-up jetpack for the end scenes! Thank you!!

15. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Okay, you lovely people. This week marks my final serious attempt to get this damned game onto an iPhone/iPod. Wish me luck.

In addition, I've decided my next project is going to be a bit more... sociable in terms of development. Developing stuff by myself is amazing, but it's difficult for me to bounce ideas off me because I'm a terrible listener.

So, I'm thinking of starting a proper forum at the Fluttermind site so people can discuss the game as it grows. People who sign up will probably get early access to web-builds of the game, artwork, my random brain-wobbles and also get to opine 24/7 on exactly how much the game sucks, and how much better it could be if only (insert genius comment here).

Think of it like Kickstarter without the money. Is there any interest at all?

16. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Holy crap, yes! For one of your projects? Definitely yes!

Besides, I do what you describe (the bitch'n'moan'n part ;) all the time, without any money! :D

17. etonblue

etonblue Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Sign me up. Not sure how useful I can be, but I loved Inco and I'd love to participate.

18. jamsie07

jamsie07 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Oh God plz! Yes! At least on the new iPhone 5 with the 4 inch display! Been wanting to play this game since it came out and no iPad or plans to ever get one! Would def pick up for iPhone as I'm sure most of the TA community would!
    =]

19. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Righty.

The port works. It is less tiny than expected, so it's a bit more playable.

The bad news is that:

a) It runs too slowly on an iPod/iPhone! I'm going to have to do some hacking in order to make every level work at an appropriate speed.

b) I'm finding it harder and harder to see how I can make this a universal app. It is looking like there will be waaaay too many platform-specific changes. This sucks for me as well as you; I'll end up with two projects rather than one. Not fun.

I'll keep you all informed as things go on. For me, this forum is really helpful in gauging interest. If nobody cared, I'd not even be trying this.

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I dunno how good/immersive this would be on a 3.5/4" screen...

But yeah, I'm all for being a part of the forums and giving feedback/input. =oD

Definitely looking forward to your next game.