Is "Pay to Remove Ad" still a viable model?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by unexpect3rd, Oct 6, 2012.

1. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    #1 unexpect3rd, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
    Hi all, I have a little game coming out soon for the iOS. Its a small collection of simple minigames. You will need to earn coins to unlock the games and coins are earned by playing the games themselves. I am not going to make it very "grindy" by setting a high unlocking cost, i believe that is a turn off. In addition to the relatively low cost of unlocking games, the amount of coins earned by the player will also increase the more he/she plays. With such a design, I would not implement IAP for buying coins (furthermore as it is, a collection of 6-8 30 seconds minigames, i doubt anyone would feel worthwhile to buy coins)

The game would be available for free, ad supported. I am thinking of providing one IAP option of simply disabling the ads and perhaps upon doing so, giving the player a reasonable amount of bonus coins as incentive.

What do you guys think? Is ad removal a viable model? Will there be any foreseeable obstacle in implementing the ad removal option (a one-time permanent purchase) together with the bonus coins (consumable item)?

2. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    Sounds like a good idea to me, why not let them buy coins though? Seems ridiculous to not allow them to buy coins.

3. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Wow. I really appreciate you building the game with such consideration for the user. I play many games that are ad supported and I prefer the full screen ad from the adbar (which I feel make games look hideous). But that's entirely up to you. I don't mind paying to remove ads on a game that's fair with the currency and doesn't push to make a quick buck.

Looking forward to your game! When is it due?

4. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    I second this. Let them buy coins. Just make them really cheap if you are worried about it.

5. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    #5 unexpect3rd, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for the warm response!

->Rasterman & Pikpok:
    Because I want the players to feel like they are always close to having enough coins to unlock the next game, thus motivating themselves to play a couple more rounds. To achieve that, I am not going to set the unlocking cost too high. So with the low unlocking cost, and that currently I only have like 6 minigames in place (for initial release), it wouldn't really require that much effort to unlock the games via normal play. If the players like the whole game and request for IAP coins, I would then do it as I update with more minigames. Also, if i do it now, I am going to have a tendency to introduce more stuffs that you can spend the coins on and that's going to lead to feature creeping. Being a one man team, I really want to deliver this, and yes its going to be programmer's art :(

->Eoghan:
    I'm on the finishing touches for the programming, just need to implement the ads. I'm used to using banners though, so i am considering whether to try other form of advertising options. But I still need to polish up the graphics and come up with the audios.

I will post here and in the relevant forums when its almost ready, hope to also gather some early response and raise some awareness first. (Damn its busy being a one man team, from coding to marketing...).

But its a really simple game... honestly I'm not confident at all it'll do any good. It is still not a game I would call "I had always wanted to make this". Just wanted to see the effect of cross promoting a older game I have, and pushing my own graphic design limits.