Universal Rune Raiders - (by Retro64)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Retro64

Retro64 Well-Known Member

I think, probably, this should go in the menu when the game is paused.

2. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Installed the last update, and now all my GC achievs are gone. Anyone else having this issue?

3. MissDjax

MissDjax Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The idea of this game is cool, but it could have been made so much better... Actually there is almost no strategy, neither tactics in this title.

4. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I agree and disagree with your post. On the one hand, yeah, it could have been better simply by adding loot to the equation. There are some things you can pick up here and there, but it's hardly a loot system.

On the other hand, there's tons of strategy in this game, especially when you start upgrading the abilities for the different characters. Usually the attack areas change, and you have to be mindful of how you proceed, since the enemy attack areas change too. Try running headlong into one of those minotaurs early on. ;)

Great concept, but it does need to be fleshed out a bit more. I'd rather pay more for the game and have more. Right now, it's too much of a tease. Still fun, though.

5. Takeso89

Takeso89 Member

Feb 10, 2012
    I feel pretty much the same way most of the people do about this game: it's fun and its concept is great, but it becomes too bland after you learn to play.

Currently all the strategy you need to have is to use the ninja, 1 or 2 melee (treant is a must) and choose ranged in the rest of the slots. That done, all you need to do is figure out the most damaging ranged heroes and arrange them behind your melee in a way that their range covers most of the board.

Personally I would like to see a few balance changes to some units:

- The healer is too low a benefit for too high a risk to be worth taking one slot, since most units heal pretty well on the move and it usually dies in one hit. Additionally, I find it often not healing wounded units when I choose to hold formation (I suppose it's a bug).
    - The ninja is OP. That's for sure.
    - The bear is UP. The one tile range is overkill. It should have a "moves cost no turns" or an "improved range of attack" upgrade.
    - The archer is also UP.
    - Devs should play around with heroes that have secondary abilities/attacks like the treant. E.g., heroes that paralyze, curse or poison enemy units. Also, it'd be great to have a ranged unit that pulls enemies close, to be used in conjunction with a heavy melee composition.
    - In a similar way, enemies should also be worked on. It'd be good to see enemies that work together with complementary abilities (for instance, an enemy that pull your heroes close while another one paralyzes it). Secondary effects on enemy attacks would also be great.

I hope the devs still read this forums, because this game really has a lot of potential going on, it just needs more content and some tweaks.

6. Retro64

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. We'll get what we can in 1.03... I do disagree about the healer, though. She can heal your guys pretty quick, and that's why she's so easy to kill. The ninja and bear I completely agree on.

7. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Retro64, any idea why all my achieves disappeared from GC? Happened after I updated the game.

8. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I gifted this app to a friend's teenage kid today, and he redeemed the code then messaged me, "Is it supposed to be some white-haired girl icon? What the heck are you gifting me? Is this some princess game?! Hah hah nice April Fools joke!" I wrote back to explain that no, it's actually a pretty nice strategy game, and the devs are aware there are icon "issues", so here's more fuel for that fire! LOL!

9. Takeso89

Takeso89 Member

Feb 10, 2012
    hey, where's the update?? We're still waiting for it, don't let us down!

10. Retro64

We just sent 1.03 to our beta testers to make sure everything's okay. I am pretty sure it is, but just want a sanity check first. Here is your new hero :cool:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Ooo, very nice!! A real adventurer-type, "experienced" (aka older :) too!

12. 3parkbenchhydra

3parkbenchhydra Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Love the new icon, glad to hear balance issues are being thought about, excited for the update!

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Indie? :D

14. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Indie Dev! :D

15. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #215 Bool Zero, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    Awesome! Can't wait!

On a side note of new characters: perhaps Retro can add a gnome or dwarve with bombs, the have short range but AoE, perhaps? A half-Orc as well that has short range forward adjaceant dual wield attacks or something? I don't know, but some new characters to spice things up would be great!

16. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Rune Raiders of the Lost Ark, clearly.

17. Retro64

I'd say more "Last Crusade". He is the one that delayed this update, actually. There are also 3 new monsters and the 5 new levels have some randomness to them, they differ each time you play.

18. 2wo

2wo New Member

May 11, 2012
    The most amazing "fun strategy" game I have played. A fun version of chess. More levels please!!!

19. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I deleted this after I first bought it because I didn't like the game play very much. But, the improvements since reinstalling it today, have made this an incredibly fun game.

20. Retro64

The update is now live and in the App Store. I hope everyone enjoys!