Will Ipad3 have graphics similar to xbox360?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RCranium666, Jun 21, 2011.

1. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    I have the iphone4 and ipad1 and am shmup crazy as some of you know. When will graphics similar to Raiden4, Ikaruga, Strania, Radiant Silvergun be possible on ios devices be possible?

Some games from Cave are on both console and iphone but not yet (if ever) on ipad. The xbox360 versions are superior of course.

2. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    I doubt if that will be possible in the iPad 3 as I don't think they are changing the processor rumour has it they are concentrating on the screen and camera . But maybe in the iPad 4 or 5 who knows .

3. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    There have been many rumours and one of them involves a possible A6 processor which will be quad core. There has been no mention of the speed itself. (Although some rumours suggest A5 processor, same as Ipad 2).

Also the retina display has been mentioned as a possibility.

The resolution has been mentioned at 2400 x 1600.

These are only rumours but seem to be mentioned all over the net. According to T3 magazine, quarter 4 release for 2011 is possible.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I do hope that it has a sensor that prevents folks from starting useless threads in the wrong section. ;).

5. Monkeyy

Monkeyy Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Right here, of course
    I see what you did there!

6. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

Max resolution on the xbox360 is 1080p, which if I'm not mistaken is 1920x1080 or something like that. So if the new iPad's have the rumored retina display with the resolution that Magnum0ik correctly calculated, then yes the iPad3 would be capable of higher resolution graphics.

However, the GPU power and memory required to produce the dynamic lighting, texturing, and high-end 3d that you are used to on the xbox360 will likely not exist in the iPad3. So the overall resolution might appear higher, but comparing games side-by-side will likely have the xbox "looking" better.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Not many 360/PS3 games output at 1080p anyway, despite the consoles supporting it. Most are 720 or even lower, so it's not going to take much to match the resolution, there are other more important factors that need addressing first.

8. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    No way to tell for sure. We'll have to wait until we have more information about it.

9. RCranium666

May 28, 2010
    #9 RCranium666, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    That what the mods are for!:D

Remember, I'm only talking about 2d and 2.5d shmups, not 3d fps etc.

I also heard about the quad core rumour.

10. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    I doubt it, they don't make strides that far, the PSVita on the other hand...

11. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #11 dumaz1000, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    I think you're are asking if Xbox 360-Caliber games could ever find their way onto the iPad, and the answer is definitively no. It doesn't matter what the hardware is capable of, if there is no one willing to release software that truly maximizes the hardware's potential. They would have to cost the same price, whether you bought them for the iPad or the 360. And that, above all else, would never, ever happen. The notion of a $60 iPad game is preposterous, no matter the quality of said game.

The iPad could easily push as much power as the PS Vito. The PS Vito almost pushes as much power as a PS3. Graphically, the Vito is doing things that nobody In Their wildest dreams ever thought would be possible from a handheld/mobile device. But high-end software development alone for the Vito likely costs millions upon millions of dollars. Hence, those games will sell for $49.99 a piece, minimum. The ceiling for the iPad seems to be around $15.00, but even then only a small handful of games seem to push that price.

You want 360 graphic on a somewhat portable device? Buy a laptop. Depending on what you get, you might even end up with better graphics. I own a high-end gaming laptop, and it's awesome. Even at it's peak, no iPad will ever match it.

12. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    this whole thought process leads into a whole other category of apple probably moving into the big leagues and competing against the 3 major corps for gaming space.

if apple keeps making better devices and more people continue to support them primarily for gaming, the 3rd parties will have the desire to either port or make bigger and better games. some already feel that apple shares a market with the DS, but why stop there cause youre a mobile device? i hope their ipad devision way past what theyve done with the ipod touch. maybe slow down on having a revision released annually and focus on making it a powerhouse that could be released every 2-3 years.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I think it's a risk they can't be bothered with to be honest. They've carved themselves a nice corner of the market with the iPhone. As soon as they attempt to tackle consoles they open themselves up to making much bigger mistakes. It doesn't take much for someone like Sony to piss people off with the PSP Go and suffer for it... consoles can really bomb hard.

14. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    true.....but we can dream.....

15. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    If there is a Retina Display, the processor improvements will likely only be less impressive compared to iPad 1 to iPad 2 because it will have to power the vastly greater number of pixels. However, if the iPad 4 has a quad-core 2 GHz chip, it could get close to the Xbox. By then, though, the next Xbox might be announced.

16. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Iphone 4 can come close to xbox360 or psp graphics. The problems is the buyers , they want grand theft auto for 99 cents. Until that problem is solved no matter how powerful the hardware , companies will simply not make games.

17. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    it will have slight better graphics than the ipad 2 so no where near xbox or even psp for that matter

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well thank God we got confirmation from someone who really knows :rolleyes:

19. RCranium666

May 28, 2010
    I only partly agree with you. If Cave made Ipad versions of their shmups, they'd come close. Infinity Blade and Rage also come close. I'd agree somewhat with you on the price point of the games, but they could make that up in volume.

20. RCranium666

May 28, 2010
    #20 RCranium666, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
    There have been strong rumors that iPad3 will have increased resolution, possibly even retina, quad core gpu and cpu.