Sproggiwood or Desktop Dungeons?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Avatre, May 28, 2015.

1. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Sorry, I had to do it. I really can't decide which one to get. I really like the look and cuteness of Sproggiwood, and seems a lot more polished, but there seems to be a lot less content there. It also looks to be quite a bit easier, which isn't a bad thing. Anyone able to help me decide?

2. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    I have been trying to get someone to answer this as well. Bumping in hopes that it catches someones attention who can provide a thoughtful response.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #3 undeadcow, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Both are exploration based roguelikes. Personally I prefer Sprpggowood because it feels more action based and feels more mobile friendly due to being a universal build. Desktop Dungeon might have more character classes versus Sproggiwood's 6. In DD you wonder around stationary enemies looking for those at a equal or lower level to plummet so you have to look for powerups to overpower or overlevel the foes. In Sproggiwood you directional pad around moving foes that chase you and unlock powers as you level up (each new stage resets your level). Sproggiwood has some cool bomberman type attacks and many enemies leave mines so even when on the warpath you need to be strategic or risk corning yourself with deadly corpses. Desktop Dungeon might feel more unique in it's level emphasis and probably has more content but Sproggiwood has kept me busy all day (it's challenging). Both might risk feeling redundant over long sessions and have a 'just one more game' feel.

4. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    I was a bit concerned about the difficulty of Sproggiwood. I watched 2 videos, 1 for each game, and in the DD video the guy died like right away. I think the game even popped a text box saying this would happen frequently. In the Sproggi video, on the other hand, it didn't look challenging at all. Of course I don't have any context for this, it may have been really early on, and I only watched about 5 or 10 minutes. So it seems to ramp up the difficulty fairly quick?

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #5 undeadcow, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    I've been struggling witb Sproggiwood on the second stage but have resisted fortifying the town with bonuses that could help.

Sproggiwood has 6 classes.

6. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    Cool, now I am definitely conflicted. In a way I am glad there were issues with the app store last night cause if not DD would probably already be loaded. Now I have had time to think it through and Sproggi looks like a winner as well, plus there have been several complaints about the polish of DD which is pretty important at the 10 dollar price level. Either way I am going to pull the trigger on 1 of them later.

7. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Thanks Undeadcow, I really appreciate the answer. I think I'm leaning more towards Sproggiwood as well, the main thing holding me back was looking on Steam - Sproggiwood players (far less than DD) spend between 1 hour and 35 whereas the DD players quite frequently spend hundreds of hours, so I was worried that it got boring quick.

8. skeletors helmet

Patreon Bronze

Dec 7, 2012
    I'm glad you started this thread, as I suspect there maybe quite a few of us in the same boat regarding these two games! I've lurched backwards and forwards between the two several times, and I think I'm going to get Sproggiwood. Only because of the apparent graphical 'fuzziness' that people are complaining about with DD. that would really bug me for some silly reason. I will definitely get DD as well, but maybe wait for an update first.

9. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    Someone over in the DD thread figured out that if you change the graphical settings it reduces the fuzz. While that was being posted I was over reading the Destructiod review of the PC version, and apparently it has always been a little rough around the edges graphically, so I am thinking it is not a matter of a shoddy port in that regard, that is just the way it is. I am leaning towards that one because puzzles are my thing, but in the meantime I got Geometry Wars and haven't been able to stop playing. My fun with that has reduced my urge to make a decision and maybe wait for a few more impressions.

10. skeletors helmet

Patreon Bronze

Dec 7, 2012
    So....I'm back at the start again? Haha oh dear. Thanks for the heads up, I've been reading both threads, but must have missed that post. Whichever one I get, I'll think I should have got the other one! I'm just going to have to get both so I can stop thinking about it! I hope we have a weak week next week, it's been a crazy few weeks recently, great games everywhere.

11. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I bought Sproggiwood in the end, and while I can't compare it to Desktop Dungeons, i don't regret the purchase. I spent a few hours on it last night and enjoyed every second.

12. Sproggiwood. Because.