Metal topic? (partly for Booch)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Balu`, Oct 19, 2010.

1. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Almost sublime instrument work. The vocals (the deep vocals) just ruined the whole song for me.

Why does your recommendations nearly always have some form of deterrent that stop me from fully enjoy them? :D

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Haha, it's exactly the vocals I really liked about it. :x
    No idea... I'll try to work on that. :Đ

Some progblack:

3. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Let's just say I've been heading down a pretty dark path, that I am beginning to realize the error of my ways. I'll leave it at that.

4. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Very good new MDM. Sounds like Insomnium playing upbeat stuff (as opposed to melancholic music):

5. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Only @Booch: Great news! The new Flashbulb is out! Listening to it right now, sounds sort of like a more optimistic sequel to Soundtrack to a Vacant Life.
    About that other stuff.. Too bad you don't want to share any more, but it's up to you of course.

6. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    New Flashbulb huh? I'm going to have to check it out. Jam on it all night or something. Good compared to StaVL? Sounds interesting.

Oh and since you probably haven't upgraded to iOS 5 yet still, I'll PM you some stuff.

7. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    The second half is like a straights continuation of SfaVL, the first half is a little more IDM-oriented and therefore worse to me, but even that is far from bad.

8. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    A couple more of my recent favourites:

Forteresse - Spectres Du Solstice
    This White Mountain - A Walk Through Woods On A Moonlit Night (Part II)

I'd grab youtube links for you, but I'm struggling with this free Wi-fi at McDonalds until my internet gets connected at my new house.

9. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Melodic Power Metal in the veins of Scar Symmetry. Catchy as ... and highly enjoyable harsh vocals with superb cleans.

10. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    This was actually pretty good.. not much like power metal, but still enjoyable. :X

Good to see you back at least, Booch has disappeared. :c

11. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    It's rare for us to agree on songs :eek:. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it :D

I'm always here! Everyone just stopped posting for some reason. Btw you know anything about Booch's disappearance?

12. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Haha, I'm happy I enjoyed it, I haven't listened to much metal in the past few weeks. More like simpler rock and especially post-rock (a genre you'd probably hate). :D

Not much. We exchanged a few messages about two weeks ago, nothing since then.

Oh, by the way, what have you been up to since we last spoke? Both musically and not. :x

13. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    High Spirits - Another Night could be interesting to you. I'm however, quite torn between the album - there are some very nice riffing and vocals, but at the same time the riffs and vocals sound very cheesy and cringe worthy. So I'm kinda half-enjoying and half-disliking it.

I just took my time and discovered a few high quality albums in my usual genres. Occasionally a few good metalcore, MDM, tech death and what not here and there. Still, it's satisfying (more like surprising) to find good music once in a while.
    (I think I've also bumped up my strict filter level up by a few notches -_-')

14. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
  15. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    WHOLY ALLEGAEON!!!

I LOVE ALLEGAEON (well, the songs that don't suck that is :p). The new song is kinda meh compared to the better songs off their previous album though.

Just sayin', Fragments of Formation is great! (well, 6 out of the 10 songs that is) A highly polished and catchy melodeath band with some techy moments. Dunno why critics call them a rip-off of Arsis (and I've listened to all their songs) and other popular bands though.

Balu`, if try listening to their songs a bit and see if you hate it :D. Accelerated Evolution is a good reference point ;).

16. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
  17. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Yup, and one of the better songs off the album too.
    --------------------------------------
    I assume you're into melodeath so let's discuss/share some songs/artists/albums! :D
    I still miss Booch though :(

Try Solerrain - Fighting the Illusions. EPIC MDM album.

18. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Umm. I listened to the song Johno posted. It was alright, but insanely boring to me. :x Does it get any better?
    I'll have to listen to that, I guess. Will post some impressions today if I don't forget about it.

So no new genres? Too bad. :X Anyway, how the hell could your filter get any stricter?:Đ

Some progmetal, sort of similar to Devin Townsend's stuff:

19. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    #5259 Johno, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    Heh, it's all what your into. Did you listen to the other song I posted? That one is a bit faster paced.

For fans of Scar Symmetry:
    YouTube: video

And:

And here's one of my favorite songs from my favorite band:

I can't quite seem to figure out how to embed the video itself. Can anyone help me out with that?

I listened to that song, and it was awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh, and for melodeath, here's probably my favorite band for that

Dunno if anyone here is an Opeth fan, but I certainly am:

20. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Nup not really. Tbh, it wasn't a very good song by the band imo.

He...he...hehehe... Well I'd say that my tastes have changed, and the previously 'alright' songs turned to be 'mediocre' ;).

I prefer Epic power metal with some prog, but not much prog in general. (see how I missed the song?)
    SS was awesomE! Well, the first 3 albums that is...

Gotta check out the 2 bands you posted. I've heard of them but just never bothered to check them out.

Glad you enjoyed it!