Whats your favourite board game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kalke, Jan 19, 2010.

1. kalke

kalke Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    As the title said, whats your favourite board game, like monopoly as an example?

And what do you especially like about the game?

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #2 drelbs, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
    [​IMG]

If I had to pick just one game, it would be Advanced Squad Leader.

Tactical, squad-level combat covering all aspects of Word War II. As with most wargames, it is mostly played 2-player, but plays very well solitaire, and in teams. Games can last from a couple of hours to months (campaign games.)

I enjoy the attention to detail, the "controled chaos" and the fluidity of the game. Unlike many games, units are not just destroyed, they break/rout (see D6 in the picture) and run for cover when they can. Often units can regroup later in the game. Japanese squads are unique in that they don't break, they just get weaker.

I'd highly recommend Starter Kit #1 for anyone who would like to try ASL out - it's a manageable first bite of the game system.

3. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    HeroScape (building the board was fun alone...), Sorry, Monopoly, Clue, Clue FX (it's cool... instead of moving around the board there's this talking thing that tells you what's going on).

4. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    u shouldnt have more apps than you can hold. :rolleyes:

5. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Heroscape is amazing, a simple and accessible (No painting figures) but tactically deep miniatures game, totally check it out.

Other than that, Memoir '44, Axis and allies, Warrior knights and Risk 2210 A.D. are some of my favorites.

6. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    shoots and ladders. laughs. not played that since i was a little boy.

chris.

7. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    TALISMAN!!!!!! Some many good memories of that game growing up. There was a XBL in development at one time, but that fell through (as so disappointed). I'd love an iPhone version.

8. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Awesome. Glad I'm not the only one who plays HeroScape. Such a good game... the tactics are awesome in picking teams where members' abilites support each other while keeping strong units, using the terrain to your advantage... Too awesome. And the board building system alone... it's just awesome. My cousin and I would usually end up taking so much time building the board that we never got around to playing the actual game, but when we did, it was an awesome game.

9. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Archon Conquest :cool:

10. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    wow, I was sure the first 5 posters were going to say "stratego" or even RISK but no!

I think my fav board game was the one about candy, simply because I loved the art and it made me very hungry.

also, is heroclix considered a board game? I played a lot of that a while ago.

11. vikingsfan101

vikingsfan101 Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Earth
    The game of life

12. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Talisman is the shit!

Monopoly would be 2nd.

13. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Oh yeah, I seem to have forgotten a few.

Stratego, Risk (when you get a good game going against a player. It can get boring against the computer), Chess, Broadside (ship strategy game where one player has to defend these merchant ships while the other has to destroy them. Used to play that game all the time w/ my grandfather), Mystery Mansion (almost like clue but you're searching a mansion for money hidden in an object instead of a murdered.)

14. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Archon Conquest for sure.