Best Asynchronous Multiplayer games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sweetdiss, Jan 12, 2011.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Ascension is one of the best asynch games on the platform IMHO. It is not really like Magic. It isn't a "collectible card game", rather it is a "deck building" game like Dominion (though it plays pretty differently from Dominion - it's a lighter game than that).

One key difference being that you don't buy (with real money) your way to victory. Rather everyone has access to the same pool of cards and everyone starts with the same cards in their deck. As the game progresses you "buy" (with "runes") cards to add to your deck, and try to build a deck that will win the game for you. Thus "deck building". It does look like Magic as it was designed by some Magic players, but it is a different type of game. I don't enjoy games like Magic much, but I love Ascension.

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If yer looking for a very deep, sophisticated async experience, with long matches, in-depth turns and micromanagement aplenty, GoofyJmaster has the truth of it: there is nothing even remotely close to Starbase Orion for iOS. The game is basically a real desktop-class 4X game, not far from Masters of Orion and Civilization. Colonize and conquer the galaxy through military might, economic expansion or espionage (with diplomacy on the way), design and produce your own ships, customize your own race before the match, research techs, build buildings, and use ship-specific orders before battles to change the outcome (which makes for a surprisingly deep passive battle system).

It also enjoys some of the best developer attention and support on the platform (or probably on any platform). Rocco (the single dev) sends out new betas several times a week, and app store updates probably once a month. These updates do far more than just polish the game: so far, he has added new ship systems and weapons, new techs to be researched, leaders with specific abilities for colonies and ships, new async functions, options for customized games, user-configurable build queues that are saved for future matches, and plenty of new in-game functions (from auto-upgrading of old ship equipment, ship naming and fleet summaries to tons of convenience features and UI improvements).

With diplomacy and more advanced win conditions on the way, my guess is that Starbase Orion will grow for a long time. But, regardless, what is already there is a far more advanced async experience than anything else.

3. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
  4. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I don't know if there is a newer thread for discussion of asynchronous games so I'm reviving this one. Lately I've been loving Super Stickman Golf 2 and am looking for recommendations for similar games. Obviously I'm not particularly looking for golf games, but sports games or other similar games like SSG2 would be great. I've had my share of games such as the "with Friends" games and am not really looking for more of those, but I wouldn't rule it out if it's recommended highly enough. Thanks.

5. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey

I started and update a thread for the tatics type asynchronous multipler games like Hero Academy, but you probably saw that thread when you did your search already so I guess that isnt your thing.

6. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I actually didn't see it and don't know anything about Hero Academy so I will take a look at the thread to see if it interests me. Thanks.

7. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Can I jump in with some pimpage here?

Great Big War Game

Rubicon
    ▶ GAME OF THE YEAR, WINNER !! (Mobile category, Game Dynamo 2012) ▶ STRATEGY GAME OF THE YEAR, WINNER !! (Mobile catego…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    ▶ GAME OF THE YEAR, WINNER !! (Mobile category, Game Dynamo 2012) ▶ STRATEGY GAME OF THE YEAR, WINNER !! (Mobile category, IGN 2012) ▶ BAFTA NOMINATED Taking military "advice" from the ridiculous generalissimo, can you battle your way through this truly massive, content-packed military campaign? Plan your missions, deploy your "forces", try not to fall off the sofa laughing! ▶ "Everything about this game is awesome" - Pad Gadget ▶ "This is an impressive package for strategy fans" - 148 Apps ▶ "Replay value is outstanding" - App Smile You've plenty of units to play with, covering land, sea and airborne combat. Be warned though, these funny cartoon troops are not exactly "the right stuff". Playing as "Jenkins", the hard done to lieutenant, you will need to complete the Generalissimo's wide variety of mission orders - collect resources, assassinate enemy generals, invade territory, evacuate your forces, do a bit of enemy base ownage, etc. ▶ "It’s simply an amazing turn-based strategy game" - Touch Arcade ▶ "It's the real deal" - Slide To Play ▶ "This is a wonderful game, accessible yet challenging" - Gamezebo 40+ hours of campaign mode not enough? There is also unlimited skirmish play vs the AI for quick fixes, on a wide variety of custom maps. And there's still more - Multiplayer. You can Pass & Play on a single device, or join our thriving online community, playing head to head at a pace that suits you. Online play is cross-platform, so you can play and/or transfer your account to other supported platforms. ▶ "This game plays beautifully and looks fantastic" - App Advice ▶ "Not downloading it is damn near criminal" - MoDojo ▶ "Just buy it, plain and simple" - IGN Main Features: ▶ 50 Mission single player campaign ▶ Online asynchronous multiplayer ▶ Pass n Play & Skirmish vs AI ▶ GameCenter achievements ▶ Stunning visuals (full retina 3D) ▶ Simple, intuitive control method ▶ Tons of humor ▶ No birds were harmed (or made angry) during development! Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/GreatBigWarGame "Bag 'em & Tag 'em"
    Information
    Seller:Rubicon
    Genre:Role Playing, Strategy
    Release:Jul 18, 2012
    Updated:Jan 27, 2013
    Version:1.4.1
    Size:123.1 MB
    User Rating: (16)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

8. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=137502&highlight=asynch

My favorite is Hero Academy but a lot of them are good including Outwitters and Great Big War Game. I am less fond of the ones that are ports from board games because the interfaces tend to be small and hard to figure out, but they are all linked in my thread. Once you have tried a few post there with your thoughts :)

9. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    My brother loved number one.
    Hows the community on this?

10. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Pretty busy, we have a forum here: www.rubicondev.com/forum and there's usually about 3,500 multiplayer games going at once.

A big update is planned once we ship Combat Monsters too.

11. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Cool. Thanks Ribicon.

12. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I know their ipad only but Frozen Synapse and Battle of the Bulge are awesome in this regard. Great Big War Game and Rad Soldiers are also amazing tho the latter is an IAP salad.

13. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I have this and deleted it, not because I didn't like it, but because I never tried multiplayer and just needed the room one day. I think I'll re-download and try to multiplayer. Thanks.

14. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Nice one. Hope to see you online soon. :)