Recommended free apps thread

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by thumbs07, Jan 23, 2011.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    As Quantum thread is no longer updated- this might be a good idea. Idea is to help sift through number of free apps a thread drawing attention to little known quality ones.

Eg today:
    Dark Lords SE
    Free app through Daily app dream. It's a 2D send units at the enemy typical game but a very good quality one. With added abilities to upgrade spells and talents. (4/5)

Daring Raccoon
    Openfeint free one. Retro inspired game little bit similar to Donkey Kong. As it's retro it doesn't look so much - but it has the gameplay. (3/5)

Sand Slides
    Another Dailyappdream one. You should try this for it's originality. You basically have multicoloured sand that you have to guide- by drawing lines- into their respective pots. It's not the greatest gameplay but it's good for it's originality. (3/5)

2. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    appshopper.com

3. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

+1 This thread has no relevance. All you need is appshopper!

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    To follow the off topic, appshopper is a life save but not always entirely reliable sometimes slow or missing free stuff all together. I would still enjoy a recommendation thread because not everything that is free is good.

5. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

I guess so here is a good app its called Dark Lords and it is free today.

6. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    The idea is simple recommendations - hey try out that game it's pretty good. The 3 today are ones that even free-bie snubs I'm sure would enjoy. That being said I could have put more info, in my defence I wrote this on an iPod touch.

7. mcwaller123

mcwaller123 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Student
    Montreal
    Nice idea thread,you should add AppConvoy,Disc Pool and AR Invaders too ;)

8. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
  9. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Ship it
    Decent diner dash type game- except you're putting loads onto a ship.
    Simple gameplay, decent appearance and music of game. 3/5

10. Pr135ty

Pr135ty Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Student
    United Kingdom
    ...+1

11. Megladon

Megladon Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Central California
    I'm a huge fan of Hearts (the card game). Usually my friends and I play a dollar a point, it's always a good time.

Optime Software Hearts Free is a game i always come back to. The AI isnt perfect, but close enough and I havent found another hearts app to match this one.

The Full version is Optime Software Hearts Premium. Same game, no ads. I bought it because I hate ads with a passion lol.

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Eggs in Space!

13. WizMan

WizMan Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    #13 WizMan, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  14. ASB

ASB Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    A pretty fun free game that just came out is kungfu-rush.

15. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #15 undeadcow, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Death Knight looks excellent, thank you sir for the lead!

16. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
    Knight Defense

17. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Deathknight
    Good pick up and play for 5 mins game. You basically slash mobs with an upgradeable sword that can add extra abilities- like a heal. The slashing effect is nice, and the death sounds take me back to playing warcraft 3.
    It's drawback is it's not fully directional, and the game is probably akin to being a true mmo- where you grind mobs in the desire to get more powerful.

I like it so it's a high 3/5 from me.

18. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Ah hearts- I'll try that thanks. As long as it's playing other people though - I whip bots chasing the moon over and over

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Eggs in Space and Orbital Bombardment share the same concept (tapping baddies / asteriods to avoid getting killed). But Eggs in Space is a far better experience IMO with more baddies to avoid tapping, making it more interesting.

If you're going to choose between the two, go for Eggs in Space. (Of course, they're both free, but in a world where I only own an 8GB iPod Touch, precious app space means everything)

20. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    #20 thumbs07, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    haven't seen any good ones to recommend.
    But for originality

Kahoot
    (Openfeint's free game of the day)
    Original game that the closest resemblance I can say is lemmings which even that's a stretch as you have only one unit. You basically swap blocks around as your character moves along-so if you want your character to jump at a certain point you need to move the jumper block underneath to that point for when the character gets there. It's a nice gameplay mechanic but whole game has a kind of sesame street theme- which could be a big breaker for many.

Great original game, but it's sesame street theme and it's graphics will put a lot of people off.
    But I'll say 3/5