Any help in managing space

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Best75, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I am finding it really hard to keep enough space to get the games I want on my 16gb ipad
    Should I just get a new device with more space or is there a way to have enough space for the games I want

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well you need to either go for one with more space or just install the apps you currently play

The problem is many of us (specially me !) want to have all the apps on my device at all time, but to be honest you probably only play 4 or so at once so you just have to be install a few apps at once. Once you complete them or get bored delete them.

Not much else you can do

3. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    #3 Topherunhinged, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    iOS needs a tablet with expandable memory and unless we see something like this from Apple my next tablet won't be an iPad.

4. Get a 128 gb ipad or go android with unlimited sd card ability.

5. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep this is what I would suggest as well,but you probably know this already.Unfortunately there is no other way around it,16gb is just not good enough.I would say as apple should just drop all 16gb variants and only sell 32gb or above.Better would be proprietary apple memory cards for newer devices,though that's highly unlikely.

6. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I've read that the latest android update has limited what third party apps can do on the memory card. Seems to have affected a lot of people but touch wood, I've not ran into any problems yet.

I've got 16gb too and kick myself all the time for not buying larger, saying that though I recently had issues with my ipad and the sync kept failing, and I had to delete some stuff, I've now got 5gb free, and don't miss what I deleted, I like having everything on my device but certainly don't need everything on it.

I'm getting a bigger memory when I upgrade though lol.

7. Cloudpuff,

I love having both an ipad 4 and Note 3. Best of both worlds.

My ipad has 64 gb, my Note 3 close to 100 gb.

Still not enough space for me. My Note 3 is a video and photo server with HDMI to my TV and also watch videos on the road.

Could buy a ton more 64 gb sd cards too.

I would like a one terabyte ipad pro hybrid console/laptop.

One day I will buy one and smile. Hopefully by then Apple will allow sd cards and removeable batteries like Android does.

8. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Remember to check for games with iCloud compatibility. Many games automatically save their data to your iCloud account, meaning you can remove them and reinstall them any time without losing your progress.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    When I had a 16 gig phone I found storage tough. With going through general/usage an seeing what apps increased. Dropbox and facebook both blew up to about 300 meg each for me. No way of deleting the cached files so I would just delete then reinstall and they dropped down to their normal sizes

My photos were backed up to dropbox so I tended to delete those off my phone to save space.

10. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    After deleting some photos I opened up a lot of space but there are still some photos that I can't delete for some reason
    I can work with the space I have now but I can name a number of releases I am waiting for that are likely going to take a lot of space so I likely try to get a device with more space when I have the chance to

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I often have a high number for messages on my iphone which doesnt seem to go down. Photos i've never had a problem with.

Also it takes some time but its worth going through general/usage and clicking on an app to see how much more data its holding.

Eg i love a football app i've got which is only about 150 meg, however i didnt realise over time how many replays i keep 'saving' so i suddenly had another 100 meg of replays ! Soon deleted those.

Like i said earlier my facebook/twitter/dropbox often balloon to a silly level, still cant believe there isnt some type of 'delete cache' method (unless there is and i havent found it), i just have to delete and re-install.

My problem is i'm a confessed 'app horder' , eg Pinball Arcade, i could just have say 3 tables to play but nope i have to have all 42 installed !

12. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    I almost wish Apple would require mandatory iCloud saves. That would go a long way towards solving this problem.

...Assuming they finally get the kinks with iCloud worked out.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just wish they were more generous with iCloud. You get the first 5 gig free but then after that its silly prices compared to practically all the other cloud companies out there.

I had filled that up quite quickly with game saves/photos etc. I would prefer to use Apple but like i say their prices are ridiculous so i'm with the cheaper providers.

14. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I think a lot of games suffer poor compression and are bloated with unecessary files Gangstar Vegas is 2.5gb(skyrim is 5.5 gb and it multiple times bigger and complex)or something and takes up more space on my device than anything else,similarly all square enix games and twewy take up a lot of space on my device.

15. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    I absolutely agree with you, but I'm under the impressions iCloud data from apps doesn't count against that 5 gig total.

16. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Did you out those photos on via iTunes on the PC? I've got about 100mb worth that I also can't delete, only difference betweenhese and others on my device are that they came from my PC, they are no longer on my PC so I dunno how that particular folder still syncs when the others don't work.

17. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I thought it did, I'm almost certain that I only app data stored on the cloud as my backup is synced to my PC, and I've used almost a go of my 5gb. I'm not absolute certain but it looks like it does count.

18. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Interesting, I'm looking it up now...

There is a lot of conflicting information out there, but consensus seems to be that documents do count against totals. Sorry about that...

This makes Apple's extremely-limited iCloud storage tiers even worse. They really need to get on fixing this stuff.

19. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Ive only been using the iCloud for about two months so I wasn't sure myself, thanks for checking it out.

Is it possible the make your game save go to a different cloud service such as Dropbox? Or are we limited to apples?

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I must admit i'm loving looking into all the different cloud storage sites. Ideal for photos/comics/PDF's and videos

Qvivo is a new one, you can upload photos/videos and stream them, unlimited but only 5 hours a month for free (to view)

I'm with Pogoplug, 4 dollars a month, unlimited cloud storage.
    Also have a lot of free space with Box, BT Cloud and Mega.