Which ad platform to start out with?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by djskinner, Nov 13, 2012.

1. djskinner

djskinner Well-Known Member

Hi, Yesterday I submitted our first game to the App Store.

The free version uses full-screen interstitial ads which are displayed before a user can progress onto the next round (or otherwise leave the round screen).

During testing I've used MobClix with test mode enabled and all seemed to be ok. That is, until I actually enabled the ads. Now it seems that it's playing havoc with the free version of the game, causing viewDidLoad of the following screen to be called twice and causing random crashing which I am finding very difficult to track down. Its definitely the ads because none of this happens in the premium version and it appears to have stopped since I temporarily disabled ads in the free.

In addition I've recently come across some worrying reports of MobClix customers not getting paid.

Our ideal ad solution would be something like ChartBoost but it seems that is out of reach for now until we get established in the App Store.

We're assuming the ad revenue to be negligible - more as a reason to upgrade (but not the only reason) - but I certainly don't want it to be ruining the user experience with all these crashes and I don't to cause unnecessary headaches for myself with having to deal with a bad ad company.

Can anyone recommend a simple but well respected provider that offers high quality interstitial ads?

2. djskinner

Sorry to bump but I guess I posted this at the wrong time being in the UK.

Surely someone can recommend a Mobclix alternative or two?

3. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    You can still use ChartBoost. I use ChartBoost for a game that only gets 20 d/l a day and it works fine. Serves full-screen ads and has a more games section all using the chartboost sdk.

4. djskinner

@MrBlue - Thanks for the insight on that. I guess I didn't look into it properly when I came to that conclusion.

I really like the look of Chartboost. How do you rate it? Have you experimented with others?

5. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    The ChartBoost dashboard confused the heck out of me. I also thought you needed 20k bootups per day to use it, but turns out you don't. I ended up contacting them and someone walked me through how to set everything up.

I used admob for years until recently. Experimented with revmob, but the eCPM is way lower than advertised. I like Chartboost b/c you can essentially sell slots in the more games section. I can also update it dynamically without sending in an update. I'm not a big ad guy, so I haven't played around with a lot of different platforms.

6. CockyCulture

CockyCulture Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Chartboost has been terrific for me so far.

7. Silverous

Silverous Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  8. djskinner

Anyone had any experience of AppSpot?

9. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    The 20k "rule" is supposedly just to get access to the direct deals marketplace.

10. RevMob.com has been working out well for me so far. Seeing an eCPM between $8-12 most days, with recent days being $15-19.

11. Zarosh

Zarosh Member

Nov 19, 2012
    what about google? :rolleyes: