Universal Triple Town (By Spry Fox)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Jan 19, 2012.

1. MissDjax

MissDjax Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Great game! But hell... I hate those IAP. Most of the devs are going in the wrong direction since a few months now... I'd have gladly paid 4 bucks for the "full" game, but IAPs just plenty annoys me.

2. toythatkills

toythatkills Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    #102 toythatkills, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
    Whether or not you disagree is based on conjecture, though, it's no more right or wrong than my conjecture. The dev will find out for themselves, and it's their choice if that's what they want to do.

I think we've established, though, that most of the people in this thread are cheapskates, and thus you're probably not the target market.

People are saying they'd pay $2-3 instead of $7, but if it had launched at $3 there'd be just as many people in this thread moaning that it wasn't $1, because that's TouchArcade for you.

3. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Hmm maybe add " to garnish more interest and banter about the game, all publicity is good publicity"

Because look how many people have reared there heads to complain! I even joined this site to do so..it's definitely got people talking which is a good thing, sadly their complaining though,but turn the complainers into er non complainers and look how many loyal fans they'd already have!

A happy customer is a good customer, their the ones who will tell all their friends and rave about how good this game is.

Complainers won't.

So If this company can find a way to make these people happy, things could go very well!

Maybe not to cave at the 99c pleas. But meeting halfway at $2.99 or $3.49 would be nice.

And as someone else mentioned already, will there ever be different game modes? Or bigger sizes?

4. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    I played Triple Town for a while, it's nice. I don't get far into the game but it's still fun for me.
    Not $6.99 fun though.

5. Dense

Dense Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I retract everything I said about the IAP being minimal. The limit of only recharging up to 150 turns is so silly considering a decent game will go for far more moves. I thought you'd get 2-3 free games a day but that is clearly not the case.

I've always been fairly active in buying my apps and while $7 isn't that expensive, in comparison to my other apps it is excessive. I can get so much more value from buying 7 other apps at 99c each than buying Triple Town.

This leaves me in a situation where I either can't play this or I have to be ripped off by a clearly greedy developer. This type of Facebook gaming extortion needs to be weeded out and developers pushing a model like this need to have a strong backlash from the community.

I initially approached the developer to provide information on a coin exploit. At the time I felt the IAP was fair. It is clearly not, so now I am at the point that to continue playing I need to use this exploit to allow me to purchase more tuns.

For those that want to do the same, here is the process:
    - Complete a game and get to the view achievements screen.
    - Force quit the game.
    - Restart it and view the achievements again.

The coins granted by the completion of the game will be continually re-added each time you do these steps. Rinse and repeat until you have lots of coins. Use this to buy more turns.

I really hope the developer rethinks his strategy. If not, I will not be updating the game when the exploit is fixed. I will just use this method to allow me to play it freely.

In the same way the TA community can rocket games up the chart (see Tiny Wings), I hope we do the same to discourage developers from exploiting our fellow iOS gamers and push this back down the charts. Negative reviews always seem to have a big impact on sales.

6. derben1984

derben1984 Member

Jan 19, 2012
    A friend shows me this game and I like it a lot. I downloaded it and played on my iPad. One evening and then I could not play more. Sais I am out of turns. Also I am not that good to earn coins and buy more turns, but will practice more, once turns are there again.

Ben

7. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Second time you've already posted what I was going to :D

For me, the "lalalalalalalalalalala I can't heear you!" act going on from the devs is more damaging than the $7 price point. With a decent defense of the price point, I would consider paying it if there were reasons for opting to charge as much as Infinity Blade II. The deafening silence in regards to what is the majority of posts here and a good percentage of the iTunes reviews says the devs don't care enough to defend themselves, so why should I consider giving them my money?

8. derben1984

derben1984 Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Ok, I was out of turns and wanted to play another round, so I uninstalled the App and installed it again. Now I have all turns again :)

Ben

9. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I've given it a try. It's a fine puzzler and quite fun.

My turn offs are the level of IAP involved and price point, and that's true for any game. For me, it's overpriced at 7 bucks. I can buy plenty of games that are just as good for the same amount of money. After awhile, I wouldn't be as interested in the game and the same is true for nearly everything else, so I wouldn't get my monies worth. It's great to play out for free.

The developer has a good game, and it'll be interesting if they can maintain some traction in the weeks ahead.

10. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    #110 mlkaufman, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
    I'm just curious what you expect the developer to say. Do you really think it will help them to get into a price argument with the people here? We think $7 is too high, they think its the best way to maximize their profit. In the end, some of us will break down and buy it and most won't. The developer will make a certain amount of money, and there will be no way for them or us to know if they could have made more. We will all have out theories, but we won't know for sure.

I've been on TA for a while, and I have seen a lot of threads like these. In no case did it ever help the developer to get into a discussion of price. If people dont think the game is worth it, they won't have their minds changed by a developer telling them it is. If the developer doesn't change their minds, people just get madder and madder at them.

I still think $7 is far to much (although I did break down and pay it), but I also think the developers are smart to not let themselves get sucked into that hole.

11. toythatkills

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    Yeah, I've got no idea why people think they have some right to get a response from the dev just because they bitch about the price constantly. There's absolutely no reason for the dev to respond just because a bunch of people are too cheap to pay for their game. Why would there be?

The price is what it is. It's everyone in this thread that has a problem with it, not the dev, and you really need to look at yourselves and what you're doing here.

12. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I don't want to see them argue, I want to see them explain why their game is $7. Maybe their hands were tied due to prior agreements with the web publisher Playdom, maybe they actually went through several months of large scale playtests at conference halls with paid evaluators, or maybe they're just trying to protect the milking business model of their web games, in which case I'd still rather see them come out and say it. So far the only comment they made regarding pricing is the hamburger argument, which was, at best, completely devoid of context or substance.

When your argument starts out with this bit of non-logical genius: "As for the price, you're absolutely right that many games in iTunes are 99 cents. You're forgetting, however, that those games aren't f2p" some part of their brain should have noticed the flaw in their argument and caused them to not hit the post button. Well, of course if they cost $1 they're not free to play, but if your game actually costs $7 or you can never complete an entire game again in one sitting once your free turns run out, it's not free to play either, rather, it's either an intensely crippled demo for the full game or a money milking pay wall based game, it most certainly is not a well designed free to play game.

Whatever choices you make in life, you must be prepared to defend them.

13. toythatkills

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    Why? What business is it of yours?

14. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Eh, I'm just trying to get them to stand up for "what it is" because it interests me to do so. I've got no *right* to it, but they don't have any right to my money either, and since I can keep on playing the game as long as I want by uninstalling and re-installing because they failed to realize a gun to your head only works if it's loaded, the onus is on them. I've paid as much as $30 for a "free" game (Cabals), only there I knew it was $30 well spent to support a genuinely solid offering (best TCG I've seen since M:TG) that clearly had a ton of work put into it and would continue to have a ton of work put into it, not a $0.99 casual puzzler trying to put a Tiffany's price tag on it to see how many people will bite.

15. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    See below. It's not, neither is me buying or not buying their game their business... oh right, it is ;)

I ask them to defend it because it interests me, nothing more. Clearly it interests you to defend devs who have done nothing to earn such a boon from you.

16. toythatkills

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    If they explain why it costs $7, you're still not going to buy it, and I doubt they'll lose any sleep.

Anyway, I'm not defending the dev, specifically. It's just this constant moaning about price that annoys me. If a game's $7 people bitch that it's not $3. If it's $3 they bitch that it's not $1. If it's $1 people just say they'll wait until it goes free. Nobody has any respect for the effort that any dev puts into their games any more, they're just after whatever they can get for as little as they can pay for it, and they don't even give the first consideration to how this moaning might make a dev feel, who is just sitting reading a whole thread full of people telling them that the game they made is worthless.

When they make their own game, they can charge whatever they want for it and defend their pricing structure against hoards of TA users telling them that $1 is too much and they really like the game but it's too shit to pay $1 for. Until then, the dev of this game can do whatever they want and if people don't want to pay for it, they should just do so quietly.

17. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I totally agree with toythatkills (great name, by the way) on the pricing issue, but the best way to stop the moaning is to quit responding to it. Oops...

18. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    No, I might if they have a good reason, so don't go playing mind reader with me, you'll inevitably be wrong.

Wow, and I just explained how I spent $30 on Cabals because the devs clearly earned it. You might want to stop projecting so much because other than amusing me with how off base your claims about me are, I don't see what it's adding to the thread any more than this comment is ;)

Nor should they care, at all (unless they do :D). It's up to the devs to build (or not) a positive relationship with the larger gaming community, it's not the job of the gaming community to play therapist and support counselor for the devs. You put a game out there, you price it how you want, and then you live with the public's reaction good or bad. If you make a good game at a good price, you don't get a thread like this that is going to wind up 95% purged in a week or so.

Nope, could not disagree more. People should post about it, because that's what is known as feedback. As I said earlier, people only complain if they're interested, and then it's up to the devs to decide what to do about it. But being quiet? What good does that do anyone other than the mods who will have to decide if this constitutes the ver boten pricing discussion or not and then move things as needed? If I was a dev, I would want to know why my game was selling or not selling. If all you get is smoke rings blown up your butt while sales aren't as expected, that's less than useless.

----------
    Exactly :D

19. toythatkills

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    Just to be clear, my post wasn't about you specifically, just TA in general.

20. MarcusQT3

MarcusQT3 Active Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Turns don't regen correctly either. I've left the app open and put the phone to sleep and sometimes it will regen turns but most of the time it does not.