$10,000 contest

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by GeorgeBluth, Aug 10, 2010.

1. GeorgeBluth

GeorgeBluth New Member

Aug 10, 2010
    So I have a question for everyone...I work for a major internationally recognized brand that doesn't have any mobile presence. Instead of going to an agency we were thinking of offering a prize of $10K up to the developer community to whoever could come up with a great, new simple app for us. I don't have the specifics, as I am just trying to get a feel for if this will work or not, but we would need a basic overview of the app and a mocked up screenshot.

My question for you is would this interest people? Would I be looking at 10 submissions or 1000? This is a great opportunity to make some dough, but also more importantly get a big brand in your portfolio.

Thanks

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I got an email similar to this once, except it was from some Nigerian guy promising me half of his $25 million fortune locked away in a bank safety deposit box. I would of course have to send him $1000 for a new key.

3. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Did I win?

4. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Well, if someone really has a cool idea for an app, I guess he or she may earn more than$10K.

5. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    There's a much better contest already out there. You write a "great, new simple app" and submit to AppStore. The lucky winner can get $10,000 or more! Seriously though, without more information about the brand or at least a more narrow scope I think you'll find it hard to get any takers.

6. I think you would probably get a lot of interested developers if you said which brand it was for.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I see two issues with this. Firstly, as pointed out already, people are going to want solid proof that this is genuine. It needs to be a professional business proposition when you're talking figures like this, no one's going to take a risk on a promise.

Secondly, I'm not sure a competition is the way to go. How much of the App would need to be developed before you announce the winner? Developers don't want to waste time and resources by taking a gamble on a competiton when they could be concentrating on their own app. $10,000 could get you a decent simple app in a straightforward deal, you don't need the gimmick of contests and prizes to get someone interested.

8. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island

Hey, he sent me an email too! That backstabber, that money is MINE!

9. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    isnt the average cost of developing an app over 10,000 dollars..not to mention there is little chance that the dev would break even..even with your prize money anyways..try 50,000 dollars