Plus+ or OpenFeint?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Hmar9333, Sep 5, 2009.

?

Which is better, Open Feint or Plus+?

1. Open Feint

28 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Plus+

36 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Which one do you think is better and why? I think OpenFeint is better because of the larger gamesbase and slicker UI (at least in 2.1)

2. yrrebeulb19

yrrebeulb19 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Plus+ seems more polished and has something like six games now, with about that many already on the way. And it has standards. The achievements are balanced and they are all quality games.

3. kirothak

kirothak Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    OFs soon to come multiplayer hosting pwns plus+

4. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I can't stand Open Feint. It's laggy, unpolished, has an ugly and non-native interface, has to reload data every time you change tabs, has absolutely no standardization process for making sure it is well implemented in games, lacks online save hosting, and the vast majority of the games that use it are shovelware crap.

5. kirothak

Mar 5, 2009
    almost everything you just said is not true in the newest ver,

6. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Which newest version? The one in Pocket God? Everything I said is true in that version, although it is notably better than it was before. If there is a newer version I'm not aware of, I can't speak for it. I know that the Pocket God OF still sucks though.

7. kirothak

Mar 5, 2009
    yep its the one in PG, whish is prefectly polished, looks great, but ehh to each his own, i dont really even care at this point i just want one to win and get it over with, having 15 different networks is a waste of our time and damn annoying,

but plus+ being picky about how its implemented and what achivments there are ect is only going to hinder them, most devs wont want to jump through their hoops, apples are bad enough

8. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    "Polish" does not equal "Loading bar every time I enter a new menu", but to each their own I suppose.

You see, thats where I disagree with you, about the picky-ness. As soon as you start talking about a service that multiple apps and developers are going to take advantage of, you need some sort of body to control it, and keep everyone in check.

Someone has to be in charge of making sure that achievements are actually achievable, and the apps that are being cross-promoted meet a minimum level of quality, so as not to degrade the whole service.

At the end of the day, does it really matter how many social gaming networks there are? Competition encourages everyone to work harder, which leads to better products for the consumer.

9. kirothak

Mar 5, 2009
    sure sounds great untill plus+ has a 4 week aproval que on top of apples sounds real great!

and yes there being many does matter at the end of the day, the point on social gaming networks is to bring gamers and friends together, not devide them.

and you seriously can't handle a 1sec (or less) loading bar?

10. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    I doubt it would be anywhere close to 4 weeks, but so what if it was? I'd rather wait longer for a quality product than be fed high-speed shovelware.

If there were a bunch of serious contenders in the social gaming network space, I'd agree it might be problematic. With the iPhone space, there really aren't that many, though. Open Feint and Plus+ are the only two serious contenders, and they both cater to different markets. Plus+ goes for the high end market exclusively, Open Feint goes for the shovelware market, medium end market, and the high end market at the same time.

It sort of reminds me of the whole Apple and Microsoft computer situation, actually, in that it all comes down to Quantity vs Quality. And as the Apple/MS situation illustrates perfectly, we don't NEED just one platform. People can wrap their minds around multiple services that cater to different audiences. I can, at least.

Also yes, I find a 1 second load time every time I enter a submenu ridiculous and jarring for a supposedly polished product to have. If the iPod did that whenever I chose an artist or album, I can honestly say I wouldn't own one.

11. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    "I doubt it would be anywhere close to 4 weeks, but so what if it was? I'd rather wait longer for a quality product than be fed high-speed shovelware."

You see, it's pompous twits like you who really tick me off. Plus+ is a useless piece of garbage in comparison to Open Feint. Sure, Open Feint has some really trashy games, I'm not denying that, but everything good about Open Feint outweighs that.

OMFG! 6 whole games! What an achievement! All my Christmases have come at once! I can't believe it! And another 6 whole games on the way! I think Plus+ deserves a medal for their awesome amount of games!

Just an observation: Ngmoco is a lot like Plus+ (I think they founded it?) ANYWAY, Ngmoco has few games, same as plus+, and is very slow at releasing new games (same as plus+)

While Gameloft is more like open feint, lots of quality games, bar a few, very quickly.

12. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Just because I disagree with you, that doesn't mean you need to resort to name calling. There is very little "good" about Open Feint to outweigh anything. About the only features it has over Plus+ are messaging and chat rooms, and I'll concede those are features worth having. Aside from that, it actually has less useful features than Plus+ does, and all of it's features are implemented less elegantly.

The latest version of Plus+ saves your games to the servers, so you can log in and play your data on any iPhone. Open Feint doesn't do that.

Anyways, 6 games isn't bad for a new service. Every single one of the 6 Plus+ games are killer apps for the iPhone, which basically any iPhone gamer should own. Open Feint has about the same number of good apps, and the rest is garbage I wouldn't install for free.

13. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Pshh, AGON beats 'em all :D

I prefer Plus+ over Openfeint as well.

I guess the blue lighted interface appeals to me =P

14. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    "The latest version of Plus+ saves your games to the servers, so you can log in and play your data on any iPhone. Open Feint doesn't do that."

I have to admit, that's a nice feature.

"Anyways, 6 games isn't bad for a new service. "

Plus+ is new?

15. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Yeah, Plus+ is pretty damn new :p

16. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Lol, I'm Beta testing a game called Cash Machine which uses AGON.

17. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Pretty new; it launched with 3.0 a little over 2 months ago, and is on it's second major revision right now. 6 high-quality games over a 2 month period is pretty good, in my opinion.

18. Zack101

Zack101 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    No question OP wins because they are working on putting multiplayer in, a quote from them "we are trying to be the xbox live of the iPhone" so yeah plus+ will be dead when they put multiplayer in it

19. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Interface - Plus+
    Chat - OpenFeint
    Connectivity - OpenFeint
    Achievements - Draw - Plus+ has better achievements but they aren't capped. OpenFeint has capped achievements, but some games make it too easy to get achievements.
    Leaderboards - Plus+

This is my opinion.

I think they're about even, but the quality of games that Plus+ supports gives it the slight edge in my opinion. I can't help but feel a bit cheated for beating Psycho mode on Sentinel 2 for 15 points to be outdone by a guy playing some random pick up n play that gives 50 points for clearing the first level.

20. Feltzem

Feltzem Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    What's games with Plus+ can you save your game to the Plus+ server? Star Defense?