Steph Thirion's Faraway?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by retr0spective, Dec 8, 2011.

1. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Greetings,

Does anyone have any news concerning the release date of Faraway? Last I heard it was due out in the Fall?

Thanks

2. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #2 retr0spective, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
    Here are some recent Faraway news items:

Road to the IGF: Steph Thirion's Faraway (Gamasutra)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/129378/Road_to_the_IGF_Steph_Thirions_Faraway.php

GDC Demo for Kotaku

http://m.kotaku.com/5893957

Also the following mysterious twitter comment from Superbrothers HQ, creators of Sword & Sworcery EP:

"Had an excellent chat with Mr. Steph Thirion aka @stephbysteph, sole creator of FARAWAY... schemes were hatched. #psyched"

I am obviously eagerly awaiting this game!

http://www.playfaraway.com/

3. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    ^Same here! :)

I imagine he's probably tweeking the music to fit the gameplay until release, is my best guess on where it's at/when it will see a release date?!

Also if anyone missed it, a sublimely fascinating interview with Steph Thirion:

Road to the IGF: Steph Thirion's Faraway

4. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #4 retr0spective, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    *Deleted*

5. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    It's one of the best trailers I saw of any game recently. I'd say the same about Superbrothers: S&S EP and a few other quirky trailers. I've watched a lot of trailers for various platforms and many fail to activate that hook even after say 25seconds: zzz.

With Faraway, I'm hoping the gameplay will have a similar "instant captivation" / immersion as say Async. Corp achieves when you flick it on for the first time. Something already *clicks* even before you know what to do.

I have not seen what other auxillary features are intended for Faraway or the variety of music tracks there will be or even "modes"... the basics in the kokatu vid look promising which is the most important thing.

In the Gamasutra interview it was interesting to read about the steady progression of the game to continue to flow in parallel with the player however they are "scoring". This sort of continuum is excellent in a game I find.

6. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    Someone was yabbering about the problem of power levelling in rpgs in another thread where basically you form a god-complex and the game becomes boring by the end... this got me thinking about Steph Thirion's Faraway and his comments in Gamasutra's Road To IGF.

Anyway itching to know what the game is like as it was beaten in the IGF Mobile Game Award by Beat Sneek Bandit, which also beat the amazing Async. Corp.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/IGF+Mobile+Awards/news.asp?c=38710

Very keen to make my own mind up on this result! :cool:

Also Mode7's Frozen Synapse is another great game mentioned in the above.

So expecting Faraway to be a game that does not suffer the problem described above. :D

7. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    Still far -- away?!

8. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    It's got to be coming out relatively soon: Add to your Top 10 Most Wanted List(s) ppl!:

[​IMG]

9. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    Edge-online on 1-man band creator of Eliss & Faraway

Eliss creator Steph Thirion on App Store authorship and his next project

Steph Thirion:

[​IMG]

Faraway:

10. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks for the update! This was been at the top of my most wanted list for 2 years?!

11. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Any recent Faraway news?

12. thenightfly42

thenightfly42 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
  13. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
  14. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    An update from Steph Thirion via his mailing list (2/6/14):

"About Faraway, it is still in development (people do ask :). I'm very excited about where it is and where it's going, I think when it comes out you'll find that it was worth the wait. Related to Faraway, the new Infinity mode within Eliss Infinity is also an endless game, and I've put to use some of the experience I got from developing Faraway, in how to make an endless game challenging and compelling to both beginners and experts. Infinity is quite simpler than Faraway, but its simplicity is part of its charm. It's my favorite flavor of Eliss.

Next time you hear from me, it should be with a date for Faraway."