Micro Miners

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jptsetung, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    I hope there is still some room for little ol' me in the beta testing. I would love to be of service! :D I have beta tested for many devs before (currently testing 4 games) and I provide detailed feedback (good and bad) for any game I play.

My testflight email is [email protected]

Thank you!

2. Kbcorwin

Kbcorwin Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    I've requested to join the beta with my iPod touch 4g. I've beta tested a few games and never have I ever failed to give feedback. I'd love to see this game bug free and content rich and user satisfactory. Anyway... My testflight email is [email protected]

3. jptsetung

jptsetung Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Thx you both were added.

Some news, the 2 (awesome) soundtracks from John Baken were received today, so the beta will start very soon. This is the last call, if you want to be part of the beta register quickly at http://tflig.ht/SFa6PB and post here just after.

I'm also integrating the Kmacord plugin to record and share in-game videos for this beta. Here are some example of videos recorded :

4. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    Thank you for including me. Very excited to try this game out. :)

5. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    no iphone 5 access yet? wont let me install build

6. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    Yep the game is compatible with the iPhone 5 screen. The build was certainly authenticated for your former device. Register your new iPhone 5 device on testflightapp.com to get a build authenticated for it (post here when done). Well, actually I don't remember your feedback, so swear you will provide feedback for with your iPhone 5 if you want a build :).

7. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009

I haven't beta tested for it before! I thought we could just register! But I'm good for it :]

8. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Probably a bit late to the game (as it were) for me to do testing, though I'm quite excited to play this title as soon as I can.

9. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    I applied to beta test! I'm running on an Iphone 4.

10. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    Sorry guys, I have bad news, I need to stop for a while the dev of MicroMiners as I have more interesting projects in the pipe. Here is some teaser.

[​IMG]

11. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    Yep bad joke I agree. Beta test builds sent right now.

12. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    Good thing I refrained from commenting when I first read that this morning. :)

13. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    Ahahah same here.

I received the beta build and the game's pretty fun!

14. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    OK here's a mini review:

I'm loving this game!
    It's very fun, charming and hilarious! The comments from the miners are very entertaining.

The controls are extremely easy to understand but quite a challenge to master. The minimalist pixel art is excellent, so is the music.

I don't know who the target audience is; but I would highly recommend editing a few quotes, like:
    "OMG you scared the shit out of me!" (When I tapped the miners in the main menu)
    "fuc.king mine!" (I think it said something like that, I'm paraphrasing)

Don't get me wrong, I found those hilarious and very unexpected. But This game could very well fit into the 12+ rating, but those comments alone can knock you down a few ratings. I would recommend an edit so you can reach a much broader audience.

15. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    Hey thx for the feedback. There is an option to deactivate "Swearing". I've just improved the filter on your feedback (black listed every conversations with f**k, sh*t up, sh*t, WTF, and more). I just wonder if I should set the the swearing mode ON or OFF by default.

16. Kbcorwin

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    I'd say set it to off, because a lot of younger kids (I'd think) would be playing this game, as it's simpler and more directly responsive/ interactive than others. I love the game so far, and all the gameplay elements together make it really interesting to play. I haven't finished even world 1 yet (I have only had an hour or so to play) but I was wondering if there was some kind of endless mode, as that would be awesome! I love the conversations in between the miners, and would like to see more of the miners personality, it's cool that even though they are only 20 pixels or so, they each have a name and dialogue, there could be some awesome accusations whenever a miner dies. ie "You bastard! You killed (insert miner who died name here)" or something along those lines. Maybe make it more clear that the super miner does not mine diamonds because it took me 3 times through to realize he had opened them up by mining the stone :). I can't wait till the weekend when I'll have a bit more time to test!

17. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    Thank you, all seems good points. I'm listening and I've set the swearing mode off by default. Added a text to make it clear superminer doesn't mine diamonds.

As for the endless mode, yes I've thought about it. Actually the game concept started as an endless mode 2 years ago. Matt Rix (dev of Trainyard) convinced me to make a level mode. Then I spent 2 years on the campaign mode :). Now it's done and I don't regret it, but with all the gameplay elements I've created for the campaign mode, I realize that the endless mode is even more suited .

So the endless will happen, as an additional mode, or as another game (free?). For this mode I plan to add a strong team management, a core team of microminers that you can improve and upgrade (life, force, agility, etc...), a a life bar on microminers (they don't die immediately when touching lava for example).

And the question that obsesses me right now is "Should I launch the game with campaign mode only, or wait another 6 months to add the endless mode, or even more crazy drop the campaign mode and concentrate on the endless mode?". You know I've been working on the game for 2 years, so I really want to ship now, but I hope I'm not making a big mistake.

18. lightningfast

lightningfast Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    London
    Looks funny and promising. What is the game objective?

edit: gosh... i missed 4 pages of the thread. my bad ;)

19. Kbcorwin

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    The game as it is looks great! It is fun to play, but I can definitely see the addition of miner customization being good. I think the campaighn mode should be included, as it provides a good way to get to know how to play and learn some strategies, the first world alone is extremely well designed and I think taught me everything I would need to know to do well in endless. On the other hand, endless mode would provide a lot more replayability and reason for leader boards/ upgrading your core group of miners through plaing campaighn mode, rather than just grinding for upgrades on endless mode. I think that endless mode would have to be anything super duper complex, but I know randomization and proper difficulty increase can be difficult (ie. more ore and more varied deposits later, inclusion of bombs to avoid as well as lava once you reach a certain point. Random pockets of miners to save and add to your team, maybe the screen goes by faster and faster as time goes on (not too fast, still playable, just more difficult and requiring better timing and decision making as well as precision)) I think that would amazing to have, but maybe as a later update, make sure the engine/ game supports it and then put it in as an update later so you have more time to perfect it.

20. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    VERY wise advices, thank you Kirk. You could make games :)