What's the best copter/cave type game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Snooptalian, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    The App store is full of these icopter type cave games of every variety like Copterkid, Jetpac Jack, Rocket Monkey, Touch Copter etc... I just saw a couple others also called Shine and then Pixel Cave... Anyone have any picks as to what the best of this game type is? The last two I mentioned (Pixel Cave & Shine) look pretty good and a bit different.

Any input you guys have would be appreciated.

Thanks...

2. Snooptalian

Sep 12, 2009
    Not too popular a genre I take it?

3. Snooptalian

Sep 12, 2009
    Dang. No help at all. Oh well I went ahead and picked up Copter Kid, Pixel Cave and Shine...

4. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Rocket Monkey.

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I saw my friend playing Tunnel today :p

6. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    tunnel is good but if you are looking for the classic helicopter game go with the original icopter

7. cjsbug

cjsbug Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I prefer CopterKid based on the style of the artwork I guess. Seriously... a little dude with a propeller hat on dodging alien blimps, biplanes, alien spaceships, ice cream trucks, igloos and the Loch Ness monster. Just awesome. Then the alien ships start shooting at you. :eek:

8. Tech Gamer

Tech Gamer Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    iPhone Developer,Publisher,Gamer
    Massachusetts
    Thanks Fleabag! We fixed the achievement issues and are working on V2.0...Rockey Monkey is growing in popularity and downloads are on the way upp. We are tracking to break into top 100 arcade and action if downloads continue to rise.

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'd have to go digging a bit for names, but most of the games of this genre have terrible physics, IMHO where your copter/whatever drops immediately when you let go of the screen, no momentum at all.

There was one I liked best, but I can't remember the name - gonna have to dig through my apps list and come back...

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I got a kick out of Penetrator myself but here is my challenge as I'd be curious in this regard as well.

I'm looking for the best of this genre that includes:

-Power-ups(downs).
    -Random level generation.
    -Cleverly adding more and more elements to increase complexity as you get further in BESIDES simply forcing you to fly too fast to accurately control.

11. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
  12. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    LOL you guys have no idea of which genre hes talking about. Hes not talking about helicopter sims and hes not talking about cave exploration games, hes talking about the manic shmup genre, or better known as shooter or shoot-em-up genres. Hes refering to games made by cave which is a well known company from japan, they made a ton of shooters for the japanese arcades, which are still popular over there to this very day. In fact they don't get into console gaming like we do, they are more social and still support their arcades. I'm a japanese candy cab (sit down arcade machine) collector which is why i know about this sort of thing. Anyhow Siberian is a good example, theres also a few more that i've been meaning to get, but the names are on my other pc. Just check the reviews, most of them have pretty good graphics and a similar control scheme. None of them come close to gigawing (cps2), dodonpanchi, progear, espgaluda or anything, but for now thats all we got :/ Hopefully some of these companies make some ports, but i kinda doubt that ever happens.

13. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Also if you have a jailbroken ipod you might be able to load a neo geo or cps2 emu on it, that would at least give you some satisfaction.