Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011.

1. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    And how is that in any way productive to the discussion at hand?

2. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #22 GDSage, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    Launch Window titles (so in the first two months or so), list if only initial, not complete.

-Pilotwings Resort
    -nintendogs + cats
    -Steel Diver (Nintendo's new IP, submarine navigation / battle game)

-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (enhanced port + extra volume of the DS RPG)
    -Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (100% faithful to original, worldwide online, live match viewing)
    -Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (a proper MT engine game, not the crappy iPhone version)
    -Madden NFL Football
    -The Sims 3
    -Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
    -LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
    -Ridge Racer 3D
    -Dual Pen Sports
    -Super Monkey Ball 3D
    -Thor: God of Thunder
    -CRUSH 3D (enhanced PSP port of the rather excellent 2D / 3D puzzle platformer)
    -BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE
    -Samurai Warriors Chronicles
    -Dead or Alive Dimensions
    -Asphalt 3D
    -Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (turn-based strategy game by the creator of X-com!)
    -Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
    -Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell 3D
    -Rayman 3D (enhanced port of Rayman 2: Dreamcast edition)
    -Rabbids Travel in Time (new 2D platformer starring the manic rabbids)

3. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    If it's destined to end up in your 'handheld graveyard' then wouldn't it make more sense to just not get one?

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Precisely my point. Thank you.

5. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    In all, the online play setup is thus:

- One Friend Code per system, once entered they are added to your friend list and it covers all games

- If you pass someone on the street, you can automatically exhange FC's and add / dismiss them on your friend list (even if 3DS is in sleep mode)

- Can add unknown people through random matches (at least, SSFIV allows this)

- You can attach any normal name to yours or others Friend Code, so you know exactly who you are playing with (no need for "John2122" because "John" was taken)

- You can check in the home menu as well as in-game who in your friend list is online and what they are playing

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Eh, playing Zelda for a day or two will be fun.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #27 crunc, Jan 19, 2011
    Yes, but the damned things are tied to the console. I.e. you won't be sharing your 3DS with your kids, with them having a separate friends list. Very disappointing. It's like the just don't get it. Sigh.

EDIT: on a brighter note: Paper Mario. New Paper Mario. Not a remake. And portable. Yes!

EDIT2: big, big question: will you be able to use the browser to connect to public wifi that requires a browser login... and then play a game over that WiFi connection? You can't do that with the DSi because the browser is completely separate and once you leave it the connection is broken. Hopefully the 3DS gets this right.

EDIT3: and more on the friend codes being tied to the console. What if your 3DS dies and you get a replacement 3DS? You have to go through all that again - exchanging the friend code. And what if you sell your 3DS to buy a different one (perhaps a 3DS XL)? Now your friends are all friends with some stranger and you have to go through exchanging the friend code again (and they have to remove the old one). Maybe they have a way to deal with this, but I can't say I'm hopeful.

8. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #28 Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011
    I'm sure gameloft games are keeping you busy. ;)
    ----------

But on topic, OMG Devil Survivor Overclock will be a launch window game. Seriously, if you didn't play this game on DS, you have to buy it. No excuses. Expect a 80 hours+ epic. No kidding. It's that good.

Also, Ocarina of Time gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WFM3G5FTbk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzaxN0gs2A4

9. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    A Tales of Symphonia port would be the thing to push me into getting this handheld. As for now I'm just waiting to see what Sony has in store.

I'm looking for a next gen "hardcore"(hate the word) handheld to compliment the iPods casual gaming.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    We've been shafted again. The US is paying $250 and we're paying $350, freakin' perfect.

P.S. It's available for pre-order at Shopto for £219.85.

11. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
  12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm curious how people who can barely stomach spending 99¢ on an iPhone game are going to feel about 3DS games being sold for $40-50. :X

13. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Even though I am already most likely going to pick one of these systems up, this would be a no brainer for me. Tales of Symphonia was, by far, my favourite out of all of them. Miss that game =(

14. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I want this but I'll probably wait til the price drops. Besides, with pokemon black and white coming out the same month, I won't be getting the most out of the 3DS anyways.

15. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I think the real gamers in here don't give a shit. They know what is expected of the prices. I think the real iOS complainers are people that frankly, don't really own consoles or handheld devices like the DS or the PSP.

16. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Coz 3DS will have 'Real' games which are Of Course going to be a lot more fun than iGames!

17. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I paid $39.99 for The World Ends With You on DS and felt like I robbed Square-Enix. That's what happens when you play quality software ;)

18. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Main reason why I keep my GC around. I still play ToS every now and then. The soundtrack of the game brings back so many memories of the first time I played it.

19. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    LOL friend codes.

20. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Everything about it was awesome. Especially the Characters. They were one of the most interesting group of people to play with in a video game I have ever played with. I miss my GC because of that game alone :(