question about developing iPhone & iPod touch apps

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mattk824, Mar 22, 2011.

1. mattk824

mattk824 New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    chicago
    hey guy, first off great site. I stumbled upon it while searching for something else which brings up my question: I saw on facebook an ad for developing ipod/iphone apps with no programming skills required. this is something i have been trying to get into and learn about for over a month now. I have been searching the internet for a review of someone who bought this but have come up empty so far. its called devsecrets. this is the link. www.devsecrets.com
    so who has tried this? or who is willing to try it? :)
    somebody has got to have information on this, I dont have the money to waste if it is worthless.
    also-
    ive been bidding on macs on ebay but havent got one in my price range yet and am looking to buy a cheap mac if anyone has ideas on that. Thanks - matt

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, I checked it out, it was pretty long. I am involved with developing games, although I don't do it all. I design it, name it, do all the writing for it, and other things, and someone else does the animation part. However, the one thing that he said that I know to be true through my own experience, is that no matter how good your game is and how well it's done, the most important thing is marketing it after and getting lots of traffic and interest to spur sales for it! It's a terrible drag to have a kick-ass game out there only to watch it fail because of that! Wonder if it's really informative myself. Has anyone gotten this or is it a waste?

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This topic almost smells of advertisement... but, whatever...

That website doesn't look too reliable to me... if it was it wouldn't be so vague about what it involves. The best way to develop a game with no programming experience is probably by using GameSalad.

4. mattk824

mattk824 New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    chicago
    lol not an ad i promise. I was thinking the same thing, Because it doesnt really say what it involves im kind of sketchy about trying it and wont until I talk to some that has. It looks promising but so do most of the scams out there.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Alright, fair enough :)

Check out GameSalad if you haven't already, it's pretty popular for iPhone devs and really easy to get into with a couple of tutorials. Anyone could release a game with a little dedication, no programming skills needed at all.

6. mattk824

mattk824 New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    chicago
    Im checking it out now, thanks. I appreciate all the suggestions.

7. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

I think if you have a great game , and a bit of luck you really don't need marketing! Just look at Tiny Wings!In any case marketing is not the most important thing!

8. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Unfortunately 1 out of 10,000 devs are that lucky nowadays. I'm planning on not being one of those and marketing my app anyway. :)

9. nantas

nantas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Designer at aBitGames Studio
    Xiamen
    man that site has a typical scam formatting... I didn't listen to or read though.
    I just don't believe there's any magic in game development.
    Everything needs to be earned with great effort.

10. SuperFunApps

SuperFunApps Well-Known Member

about tiny wings getting popular simply on its merits - there was a fine article (not sure where, or I'd link it) that explained how it's a misconception that tiny wings didn't market. it did - on forums. Tiny wings built a strong forum following prior to release and from there on out - well, it's a great game, so it caught like fire :)

11. Jack Shiels

Jack Shiels Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Not a "real" scam, but sure as hell making money off suckaz. Typical selling-vital-info-webpage-mistrust trick.

DON'T buy anything from them. The info they will tell you will be readily available elsewhere for free. App development is NOT an easy walk in the park like he suggests - do the research!

12. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

I like to think of marketing, as a plan B!

Regarding Tiny Wings, I read an interview with the creator of the game and he said he did not market his game at all!Maybe he meant he did not pay for marketing!
    Anyways www.devsecrets.com seem to me like a fake site, there is no secret in making great apps, it's just good ideas, hard work and sleepless nights. I think the best thing to do is to learn the sdk, maybe cocos2d if you want to build games, because sooner or later you will have to learn them if you want to develop great stuff for iOS.
    You should also check http://www.anscamobile.com/corona/ it works on windows! Cheers!

13. robdog

robdog Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Coding
    San Diego
    I havent used Game Salad..but i did mess around with Unity 3.0..

And I think its pretty awesome. BUT they do need better documentation..
    trolling around the net looking for why things dont work takes forever.

its not like ObjC iphone questions that can be found nearly everywhere.. StackOverflow, iPhone SDKforums, especially..

I do recommend Unity.

14. mattk824

mattk824 New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    chicago
    Good advice - thanks, sometimes I get caught up in the sales pitch, but your right its not a walk in the park

15. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    DON'T WASTE YOUR $, this is a SCAM obviously. There isn't any dev secret techniques / method / philosophy to garanty success. It's all about hard work, experience, persistance, polishing, love... That's it I've told you all my secrets and for free :)

JC

16. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Just a shot in the dark, but I'll guess that this whole "Make Games Without Programming" will tell the purchaser (especially in the US/Europe) the following:

- go to a site like eLance.com
    - hire a programmer from India to do it for you
    - sell "your" game

:rolleyes::confused: