Solomon Dark (by Raptisoft: creator of Solomon Keep, Solomon Boneyard)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RaptorF35, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Raptisoft

Raptisoft Well-Known Member

Heh, what do you want to know?

Solomon Dark takes place a couple months after Solomon's Boneyard. You can kinda figure out Boneyard being phased out, with Dark being the remake that supplants it.

You can actually explore the Wizard's College a bit-- it acts as the staging area like the town in Diablo. Perks, Inventory, and items are all managed here, plus there's some characters around just for talking to for fun.

The gameplay itself is virtually identical to Boneyard, except it has fleshed out skill trees like Diablo or Titan Quest (you can still play in random mode, but essentially, "Bribe Destiny" is unlocked from the start). There are more monsters, more spells, more items, more perks, and even set items. If everything goes well, there will also be some tools that will allow people to make their own graveyards (along with some simple event triggers) and upload them to the web for sharing (similarly to Kitty Connect in Robot Wants Kitty). I am not 100% positive that that's going to work out yet, but I'm trying.

You can follow progress on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX7m7comqs8&feature=g-all-lik), but I only upload videos when I hit a major milestone. The next upload I will do will be when the summoning skills are complete.

2. MattGG

MattGG New Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Web Designer
    Texas
    Raptisoft is back!!

Solomon Keep was one of my favorite dual stick shooters ever! The spell effects with the lighting is looking killer.

3. ben starks

ben starks Member

Jul 9, 2012
    thank you raptisoft for a game thats lasted me since my iphone 3g days.

is it possible that you can provide some retina screenshots for SB..
    because the graphics translate very well on retina so im curious as to how they'd look redone to compliment the retina display.

thanks in advance.

4. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Yeah, screenshots or we could all fly to Apple in person and tell them to hurry the F up with the review process.

5. Raptisoft

Still waiting for review. BTW, the screenshots basically just come out double sized, i.e. nothing special. Since they're rendered, they just have higher resolution, don't look much different!

6. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Boneyard update is live, in Canada.

7. d4n.gr33n

d4n.gr33n New Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Live in uk too

8. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I downloaded the update, but it's not retina (on iPhone 4)?

9. ben starks

ben starks Member

Jul 9, 2012
    its retina.
    practically looks the same as raptisoft just said in his most recent post.

10. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    The Retina is there. I think it's just that it is such an older game that Retina is only going to do so much. But yes, it is definitely crisper. It's not huge, but I noticed it right off the bat.

I'm sure Solomon Dark will look pretty sweet with Retina since it will be brand new.

Rapti, who does the voices for Solomon himself? Is it you? Solomon is the MAN.

11. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Just saw this on TA main page and my initial reaction: fantastic news!!!
    I have to admit I never really got into the Boneyard but loved the Keep. Always wished for it to be iPad compatible as I don't play too many iPhone games anymore since the iPad came out. Can't wait for the expanded Keep, great to hear Raptisoft is back to roaring on iOS. I still consider Keep as one of the all time greatest games period. Played it more than any console game for sure. Exciting stuff!!

12. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    welcome back rapti! its been a while...im so excited for SD! i still play SK and SB on my ipad in 2x mode, any plans on making the old games universal also?

13. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Really? Doesn't look any different to me - the menus are still a bit fuzzy (like non-retina things look on a retina screen) and the lightning and shadows in particular look very pixelated at the edges.

I still think it looks very good though, it always did - it didn't suffer too much from being non-retina graphics on a retina screen like some games do.

14. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    "Also planned is Retina Display updates for all current titles, the first of which has just hit for Solomon’s Boneyard. As great as this sounds, since all the graphics in these games were pre-rendered then the bump in resolution doesn’t make that dramatic of a difference, though it’s definitely sharper."--TA Front Page.

15. V!3T

V!3T Active Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Canada
    Technically it's like if you stretch a small resolution picture, then view it on the new macbook pro. We'll see some blocks, pixels, etc. but they are simply sharper.

16. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Must say I'll be looking forward to this.

All of the features that are being added make it seem like much more of a new title rather than just an expansion.

I'll be hoping for any news soon.

17. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #97 SumoSplash, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    John Raptis... Well at least I can stop calling you 'Rapti' now :p

I started reading your interview on AppSpy. Very interesting.

Any updates on Solomon Dark? I am starting to get pretty excited about this. It sounds like it could be out in a couple months, yes no?

And any update on Retina Solomon's Keep/Robot Wants Pussy I MEAN Kitty :eek:

18. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
  19. Raptisoft

20. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México