Demand for old-school RPGs on iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Oprhic Software, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Oprhic Software

Oprhic Software New Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Indie Game Developer
    Miami, FL
    I'm working on one so I'm curious as to what you guys think? How many of you would be interested in an old-school turn-based rpg for the ipad?

2. bladko

bladko Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    i would :)

but make unique back story like The Ice Company by G.-J. Arnaud for example not just another generic fantasy or post nuke war game :)

3. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    If its made well, I'm sure it will sell well.
    I, for one would love it.

Come November, Baldur's Gate : Enhanced Edition is coming to the iPad, and I'm probably gonna go silent in this forum for at least a month or so while im playing the game...
    It's not turn based, but it sure is old school... In the very best sense of the word.

4. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    There will always be interest for unique, well polished games.

If I can offer you any advice, I don't think anyone wants or needs anything that looks like another final fantasy JRPG

5. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Add me to the group of interested! I do agree though that the fantasy genre has been done to the point that it all blends together as uninteresting unless the writing is stellar. I say something cyberpunk, steampunk or even dare I say white wolf-esque modern horror inspired with vamps, werewolves and everything I between as playable. Truth be told, there are so many setting world genres left underused that just tackling an setting and doing even a competent job will make a product stand out.

By who am I o complain?... I will take just about any old school CRPG serving tossed at me. Then again we have been lucky enough that most of them have been very good!

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I want RPGs with Robots. I miss them.

Front Mission titles, Phantasy Star titles, Rogue Galaxy, Xenosaga Titles and Xenogears.

Maybe a new modern roguelike similar to Baroque, or Breath of Fire 5, or something as massive as Zettai Hero Project.

7. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #7 violentv, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    Depends on what you mean by 'old school turn based'. I have seen many developers using that theme as an excuse to churn out sub par RPGs with dated technology, graphics coupled with bare bone plots. 8 bit graphics + turn based does not immediately equate old school JRPGs or RPGs.. those are just shallow aspects utilized to deal with the technological limitations from years ago.

Everyone here is getting excited by the prospect though and they are bringing up lots of great games...if the game you have in mind is similar to those I am all for it too. I highly doubt it though.. some of the reasons those games were great was because of the writing, plot(xenosaga) and the expansive lore infused worlds they had(sorry for being cynical!) and developers with tons of experience like Spiderweb Software can barely pull it off.

8. I can second that! I like RPGs, but the run-of-the-mill fantasy setting gets a bit tiresome. There is no reason RPGs couldn't be set in a science fiction-like future setting.

9. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I love an RPG in a fantasy setting, but the setting isn't as important as story and gameplay. If it's done right, a turn based RPG will sell well. Problem is, that a well done RPG takes a huge amount of work, so it's a big risk for a developer to take on.

For me, though, JRPG's, KRPG's etc. doesn't do it for me. I need my RPG's to be of the western origin. The others doesn't count as cRPG's for me.. I know I'm very lonely on that position though, looking at the RPG's in the AppStore, western RPG's is in the minority.

J(K)RPG's is simply too childish in artwork and far too little customization for my protagonist to please me.

10. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    I would like to see
    - a western RPG (turn based is great)
    -group of heroes, not just a single one
    -creation of the main character
    -deep story

I don't care if it's fantasy or sciencefiction setting. Both are great!

11. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Gameplay should be first and foremost (of course)! That said an RPG based on an alternate 20th century history would be cool. I have always liked the Art Deco era...perhaps Decopunk? Even though it was a bad movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" played around with creating that kind of world.
    Or how about a hybrid of Fantasy and WWII/post war? Think of LOTR with orcs in panzers and elves flying Spitfires!

12. bladko

bladko Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    just make something playable :) anything that can be modded by community like minicraft that is quite cool base for old school RPG game for iPad

my two cents :)

13. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    No more frickken fantasy

If I have to endure another Dwarf, Elf or Orc ...

Story, lore and choices with meaningful consequences, without Bioware style moral expositions.

Avadon is the first Spiderweb Software game I have played (very late to the party) and it has been a long, long while since I have experienced such a well-crafted story, with convincing believable characters. Of course, I will also purchase Avernum et al, and Baldur's Gate.

Cyberpunk, or better still, Steampunk in an alternative Victorian era, would be too much to wish for. Even an English version of 'Corpse Party'.

In truth, I feel that with your ambition in terms of direction, and the user-base who will buy your product at a price for you to support a profit to reward your time and effort, the first product will sadly, have to be fantasy.

Despite myself and others clamouring for something else, you only have to look at sales to see that deviating is a considerable risk. Especially for an indie developer.

Hell! Why not a RPG set in an American High School!

14. presto77

presto77 Member

Aug 27, 2012
    I'd roll over and die if a game like front mission iii, uncharted waters dark horizons, or PTO was released on IOS. I dropped so many hours into those games that if they were released I'd let the developer name their price.