Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    #1 gjestland, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

(please watch in 720p/60, or else it will look very choppy)

Hello all,

I just wanted to announce my new game "Fugl" (working title, means bird in norwegian). It will be a flying game in 60 fps featuring procedural voxel terrain that really tries to nail the wonderous feeling of flight.

I'm looking for dedicated testers who can give me a lot of feedback in this thread and have the patience to see it though to the end, people who can help me shape "Fugl" into the best flying game ever made. I'm just a hobbyist though, with a real job on the side, so I cannot promise something gigantic or something fast, but I just loved how community responded when I released my first game "Melodive", so I want to put it out here and see what happens...

If you want to test it, I'm currently testing trough Apple's Testflight. Send me an email to [email protected] and I'll send you an invite! :)

I'm planning a fall of 2015 release, and it will of course be premium and not a single IAP-purchase.

"Fugl" currently only supports A7 & A8 devices because of CPU limitiations (there is a lot of terrain being continously generated).

Cheers,
    Johan

2. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Looks wonderful!

Loved Melodive by the way. Let me know if you need beta-testing.

//Pedroapan

3. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi Pedropan, thank you! I will definitively let you know when it comes to that...

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Same for me if for beta testing.
    I really want some sort of trippy element with sound if you can. How about the plant life grows and evolves? I think you should add something in the sky such as blobby swirly clouds if you go really high up.

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks for the input, I will contact you when I have something to beta-test!

I've been thinking about growing plant life actually, but it might be a bit of strain on the cpu, as the terrain has to be re-tesselated every time there is an update. So I think I will have to keep it static unfortunately.

I've been experimenting with voxel-clouds also, and there will be some kind of cloud cover at least, because I need to "close" the roof, so to speak, to make it more "cave"-like and harder.

I'm also working with a really talented voxel-artist called Zachery Soares. You can chech out his work here: http://zsinked.com

6. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    I love melodive, especially with a nice tiny size. That's why I'm still keep it on my iPad :)
    Will definitely play this one too and hope this one has a nice size too

7. SamTheMadRabbit

SamTheMadRabbit Active Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Loved melodive, definitely up for beta.
    As for ideas, what about sound-controlled terrain generation? Like right when you're flying, the game uses some simple algorithm that generates terrain just where you go, probably even without randomization.

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks man! A small size is essential, and it will probably have it. As everything is procedurally generated this wouldn't be a problem. Only thing is the music, but that might be semi-prodedural as well, not like in Melodive, but more loop-orientated, so I can layer different loops on top of each other, like in Garageband.

9. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    The world is only infinite in one direction and it wraps sideways, so it only generates what you need to see, so it's easy to implement different terrains without generating too much. I'm not sure if I know what you mean by sound-controlled terrain generation though? Do you mean sound from the microphone? Like if there is a lot of noise there will be mountains and silence equels deserts for instance?

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow, this looks crazy trippy haha. I'd love to help with testing.

Does the different colors of the bird have any significance? Or were you just playing with colors? The flapping animation looks really nice by the way

11. Aravon17

Aravon17 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2014
    You create delightful worlds.

12. SamTheMadRabbit

SamTheMadRabbit Active Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Microphone or music from iTunes

13. background

background Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Auditor
    The game looks good will be definitely interested in future testing.

14. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #14 gemineye62, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    Hello, I just watched the video for Fugl and read your
    description of the game.

The one thing that struck me as having potential
    for gameplay, was your DNA idea. I began thinking,
    how cool it would be if this flying being was responsible for manipulating the planet inhabitants DNA.

The creatures would then be constantly evolving.
    It would be fun to see the new creations. Things that
    rolled, crawled, leaped, flew, swam, walked upright,
    slithered, burrowed, and even a race that simply
    teleports from one spot to the next.

The idea would be to keep harmony within this
    ever changing world. As you fly around you may
    note creatures fighting as well. You could leave them
    be or intervene. If you leave them to battle it out,
    the stronger species will win the fights. The weaker
    species will then die out. You could also choose to
    change the weaker creatures DNA in hopes to
    give it a better fighting chance. A change in DNA could
    also effect the way that creature interacts with the other
    enemy. The new species may get along with the
    other now,since you combined some of it's DNA with the
    other one.

From time to time, viruses will break out and you will
    see sick creatures moving very slowly or dead ones.
    Little fly like voxels could be buzzing around them to
    show their poor health. You could let the species die
    out or manipulate their DNA and eventually make them
    resistant to the virus.

Just a few thoughts. Thanks and good luck with your game.

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    No, I'm just playing with colors, I'm thinking of making a bird-editor, where you can change color and shape of the bird. The animation is basically just sinus-curves, it doesn't get better than that, haha, but thanks for liking it!

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Some nice thoughts here... I'm really into this kind of emergent behaviour, but in this game I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible because I spent 4 years on Melodive and I would like to make many games! This is more of an autorunner/twitch-kind of game with a simple mechanic (hunting/eating) and the object of the game is just to get as far as possible. It might even have a semi-static structure at the terrain level, so you'll start off in the desert, move into the mountains then forest, then a big city, so you get feeling of going further and further as your skill level progresses. But I would rather do something with evolving creatures, but first I'd like to finish this up, the tech is there, so it is always possible to make more games! Hopefully I can get some traction and attract some talent along the way, as it's hard being a solo hobbyist developer!

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you, it's my big passion! :)

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I think it's a cool idea, i'll look into it. I know sound can be broken down into indivudual frequencies and make something that looks like a landscape. It might work good here, as it removes a bit of the randomness from the terrain generation. With procedural graphics it's always a fight against blandness and sameness. I'll keep you posted!

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Neat!

I'm looking foward to this. :cool:

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    It means a lot to me to get a thumbs up from one of veterans here, thank you very much, Drelbs! :)