Touch Arcaders Against Piracy

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sizzlakalonji, Oct 27, 2009.

1. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    #1 sizzlakalonji, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
    After reading from yet another developer who is getting crushed by piracy, I decided to create a group called Touch Arcade Against Piracy with the goal of showing developers that we see this platform as a viable gaming machine, and are willing to pay them for their hard work. I would love for TA to be known as the forum that doesn't tolerate piracy. If you agree, please join, and help make this the largest group in TA.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/group.php?groupid=145

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Piracy isn't always bad.

3. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Yes it is.

4. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Nop. Here comes my very old example for this. Thanks to the developers, not all games are aviable in all country's AppStore. How could I play, let's say, Civilization Revolution if not by using a pirated copy of it?

5. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Cool..Count me in!!

How do you justify this statement? It's the same thing as walking into a store, pocketing an item, and walking out without paying for it. How is this sort of behavior EVER alright to do?

6. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    This site should practice zero tolerance against piracy! People should understand that when you resort to piracy you deprive the very people who worked long and hard to give you this games!

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    You could create an account in another country's app store and purchase it that way. You are using a very specific example that doesn't really address the fact that piracy uncontrolled could kill the app store. If you want to justify your part in that, go ahead, but I don't agree.

8. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    you could always change the country for your store. I dont why people dont do that. Shouldnt that work?

9. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    @IpodLady, @SarcasticGamer: Answer to my question is post #4 please, then.

Edit: #7, #8: I couldn't as I need a real address in that country, wich I havent't got.

10. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    How can you say that? There's lots of things wring and bad about piracy.

Anyways, I joined the group

11. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    This kind of thinking makes me sick! You have no business posting here :mad:

12. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    No you don't. I have a Japanese iTunes account, and I most certainly don't live in Japan. I know it's technically a no-no to Apple, but I got one specifically for the reason you're talking about in music. There are certain items in the Japanese music store that aren't in the U.S. music store. Do I go looking for pirated versions? No, I set up a Japanese account and buy it threre.

13. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    If we are technically talking about being legit, you simply shouldn't play at it.
    If a developer can't\doesn't want to sell in your country, that's how it should legitimately be.

14. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Last time I tried, I couldn't. Please, give me a step-to-step guide for doing that.

15. Tesio

Tesio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    If this is the ONLY situation in which you pirate it's not as bad. You still aren't really entitled to it, but if they don't have it for sale in your country, then they don't really have much room to complain. But that's only in this example, it doesn't relate to the problem these people are complaining about and fighting to change.

16. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    How would YOU feel if you were a Dev that had worked for months on a new game, only to have most of your profits eaten away by piracy?

17. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    @Tesio: Yes, this is the only situation I use pirated copies.
    @IpodLady: That wasn't the question.

18. Tesio

Tesio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Then in that case it seems like you are just trying to 'stir the pot' to get people upset and spur on a reaction.

19. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    @Tesio: Nop. I just want to see them accepting, that piracy isn't always bad.

20. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009