Popular JB piracy app shuts down.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MidianGTX, Dec 30, 2012.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't know if that means we're allowed to mention it by name now, but it's a recent story on TechCrunch if you want to check it out. Good riddance, I say. It did nothing but fuel more App Store customer greediness and make well-meaning jailbreakers look bad.

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I would've never believed it, but wow :eek: This is amazing news! Of course it won't completely stop piracy on iOS, but most download through the said app so it'll make it harder for most. Maye they'll even give up!!! Said app is by hacku lous and it's called Insta llous.

3. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Great news for developers:)
    We might get more good games now

4. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Don't worry about that. It's true that hackulo shut down, but people immediately asked for alternatives (just look trough some forums). The alternatives are just the same as installou.s was, but now they're gonna be more popular.

The arrow to the heart would be if they shut down apptrack.r, but even then pirates will find alternatives.

I've been on the pirate side once... Until I realized how cheap iOS games are and if I don't buy them with real money they just turn into 1-minute-play games.

5. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Make JB illegal!

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Primoz I was too... That was Before I joined TA tho.

7. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    You've been on the pirate side :eek:
    Everyone I know is but I still pay for my games
    Glad you've joined the paying for apps side.
    What the pirates don't realise is if it keeps on going like this every game will be freemium .

8. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    For the better

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Jbing tablets in the US is now technically illegal until the next hearing/appeal. I don't really care because there is no jailbreak for iOS 6.

But no one is going to stop you from doing it anyway; certainly wouldn't stop me if I had the desire to. Jailbreaking for tweaks such as SBsettings and activator and display recorder is perfectly legit and if you want to I say more power to ya.

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    JB is awesome. It's just the piracy side of it that needs to be removed...

11. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    If they just allowed the tweaks without JB...
    Then anyone who has JB is bad instead we have the people who JB for tweaks (who are good)
    And then we have JB for pirating which is bad and will eventually kill iOS apps

12. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    This +10000 I like the tweaks but I will never JB because people will say you're jailbroken you steal apps etc,etc

13. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #13 crex, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    Is it.....is it bad that I thought JB stood for Justin Bieber when I first read this?

14. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Popular justin bieber piracy app shuts down. Lol
    Who would want to pirate justin bieber songs they are not even worth £0.00

15. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    You should be paid to listen to them.

16. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Whilst I didn't agree with the mass pirating it allowed, I always downloaded it after a fresh jailbreak so I could install VLC. The App Store version that was pulled beat the Cydia version hands down.

17. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    .+157842772787999000

18. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    But JB'ing is the only way to play emulators on an iOS device. Other than that, I'm not for jailbreaking.

19. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Emulators of that sort inherently involve piracy. I really doubt there is anyone in existence that has used an emulator of that sort and actually have the legal, physical roms, that they copied themselves for use with the emulator, for every game they play on it. No, people download the roms off of pirated rom sites. And there are legal emulators on the app store. They generally require you to pay for the games, which legally gives you access to them.

Now one could argue that after a period of time, old game roms should become public domain, but I don't believe that is actually the case in the US. I could be wrong though - I am not an attorney. :)

20. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Jbing your phone is just a waste of time.

iOS apps are like 1-5 dollars. They are so cheap, I don't even know why I even pirated them in the first place.

Back about 3-4 years ago when I had my iPod touch 2, I used to pirate games, and never even played them. I pretty much never used that device again. It ruined it!!!

But then on my iPhones, I never jail broke them for stealing apps. I would use like 5 column springboard and 5 rows. And stuff like barrel, intelliscreen x, sbsettings, and tap to unlock.