SlotZ Racer HD (Free update, Universal)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Zwilnik, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Hi all,

just an update to let you know that SlotZ Racer will be temporarily disappearing from the App Store while we prepare the new free, Universal update with all the cool new stuff :)

Normally, this would just be a case of leaving the old version there and switching on the new one when it's ready, but as we're switching it to being a free game and some more news tomorrow adds some extra fun to the mix, we'd rather not risk players buying or downloading the old version of the game by mistake until the new one's out.

Also, to repeat what I mentioned a while back, the game's not becoming freemium. As lots of people have bought it over the last couple of years we don't want to stick them with having to pay over and over for the features they've already bought. Current players will still have the whole thing, along with a bunch of specific goodies just for anyone who played the game pre-update. There will be a couple of very cool packs available via IAP for anyone who wants even more or just wants to support the game. More on that tomorrow hopefully ;)

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Excellent!

Really looking forward to universal support.

My daughter got an iPad for Christmas, and this was one of the games played!

What do we need to do to ensure our apps know they were paid versions before the update?

3. Zwilnik

All you need to do is play the original game (ie the copy you've got at the moment) on your device so that it has a save game. When the update's done, it'll spot the existing save game and unlock the specific extra content for current players (and a thank you note ;) ).

4. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Sweet cant wait for the update. Any idea when it's going to be submitted/ released?

5. Zwilnik

The original plan was to submit it early enough to be available next week for reasons that will become clearer tomorrow. Unfortunately it slipped a bit and we didn't want to submit it rushed and with minimal testing, so we're taking a more "it's done when it's done" approach and hopefully submitting in the next couple of weeks. Tomorrow's news will give you something to keep you occupied while you wait though ;)

6. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    THAT sure sounds interesting :D

Can't wait to hear the news.....and play SlotZ in HD !

7. precurser

precurser Member

Aug 8, 2011
    REALLY looking forward to this update. It's been a long time coming!

First screenshot just posted on Twitter:

[​IMG]

8. Zwilnik

Note, that's actually a screenshot of SlotZ Racer Caterham Special, which is out on Monday. (full press release and screenshots here.. http://www.strangeflavour.com/slotz/styled/index.html )

Once the full version of SlotZ Racer HD is back on the App Store, the Caterham Special version can be used as a controller for it in Party Mode :)

9. Zwilnik

#9 Zwilnik, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  10. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    To me that looks Like the cars are going REALLY fast. With my real life slot cars I play with no magnets and for me it's all about controlled drifting round the corners.
    Still there's a real shortage of slotcar games for ios so can't wait for the update.

11. Caladell

Caladell Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
  12. Zwilnik

Thanks for that :)

oooooomonkey: speed wise, you get the hang of them pretty quickly, but in the full version of SlotZ Racer you can also adjust all the characteristics. In the Caterham Special version, it's been simplified to an adjustment for the throttle/braking balance as it's intended to be more of an introductory version.

13. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Cool thanks. Hopefully we won't have to long to wait.

14. Zwilnik

15. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Just a thought but with the level editor are we able to change the track elevation?
    Just wondering if I can make my home track. Best way to explain it is, it looks like a multi story car park with the track layers all on top of itself.
    Ah like this here's a pic of my prototype

[​IMG]

16. Zwilnik

Hehe, yeah in the track editor you have 4 bridge heights above ground level. You could do that one with tight hairpin bends at each end.

17. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Sweet. I'm still building my home track but it will look kind of like my cardboard version just with scenery and stuff. Doing it this way is the only way I can have a permenant setup. The wife didn't look to impressed when I said "oh look the floor in the living room is wood I could just get the router out and make the track straight into the floor" hehe.
    Well anyway enough ranting about my track. Slotz will be keeping me entertained until it's done.

18. marticus

marticus New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    IAP unlock for existing customers

I got a shiny new iPhone today and when I restored it from a backup of my previous one it lost a whole bunch of apps including SlotZ Racer. It looks like not all my apps transferred across from my old laptop when I upgraded last year...

Does this mean that I will have to pay to unlock the pre-existing features of the app even though I bought SlotZ the week it was released back in 2009?

Is there a work around for customers in my situation?

19. Zwilnik

Looks like there's a couple of people in this situation and the plan was that the extra content would be exclusive to current players (ie those that had bought the game previously) so there wouldn't actually be a pay to unlock option, which is why I posted here a while back.

As your purchase of the game is permanent on the App Store, it should still allow you to redownload for free whenever it's actually available. So what I might try and organise is switching the old version of SlotZ Racer back on for a short time slot to give current players another chance to redownload it, while hopefully avoiding anyone accidentally buying it at full price before it goes free.

20. jassica2012

jassica2012 New Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Is it released ?

Is it released?