Quotes in App Description?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Xyzl, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Xyzl

Xyzl Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Hi fellow developers,

What's the common practice for quoting people in your App Descriptions?
    I know it's common practice to quote review sites..

But how about quoting users from bulletin boards? Or from customer feedback from App Store Review comments?

Is this considered bad etiquette? Or Non common practice? What are your thoughts.

Cheers
    Xyzl

2. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Hi :) I never replied to your other thread. I like the longer version.

3. oioioi

oioioi Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I have seen somebody quoted iTunes reviews in the app description. It wasn't of any interest to me, most reviews on iTunes rate the app 1 or 5 start. Of course some people write good reviews on iTunes, but this app had quotes like "Simply the best app ever" that doesn't help the user to decide if he wants to buy it or not. My first and only thought about it was that no review sites had written any thing good about it so they put up iTunes reviews.

4. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

Quoting a review from a review site would be a good idea as iTunes viewers may not visit the site/see the review. Quoting from an iTunes review in iTunes description text wouldn't seem such a good idea as the person can easily view the reviews if that is important to them. As for forum posts.... I don't think that these would carry as much weight as a review from a game site.

5. TechPadProductions

TechPadProductions Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I agree, quoting from a review site is your best option.

6. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    True, but I wouldn't mind reading a few small "User feedback" quotes. Things like "This game rocks!" don't carry so much wheight, but if someone says something a bit more specific like "The gameplay is really unique, the screenshots don't do it justice" then that would get me to do more research about the game.

And not everyone can get their game reviewed by TouchArcade etc., so then user feedback could be the way to go.
    I would ask the user if it's OK to quote them with their (user)name or if the he/she should be quoted anonimously (like "A TouchArcade forums user").

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I've seen some apps post quotes attributed to "TouchArcade" that were actually just forum posts.

kinda sketchy.

arn

8. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

Yea that kind of thing is pretty poor form.

9. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    You should feel honored that dev's want your recognition so much they are willing to defraud you! :D

10. Xyzl

Xyzl Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008

I know what you mean, I did it by accident as well by following what others had in their descriptions. Good thing GatorDeb pointed it out to me, so I was able to correct it pretty quickly.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

11. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    OK by me

The way I see it, if I like feel positively enough about a game I will spend my time to write a review for the community explaining why this game deserves the accolade. One of the things I enjoy about the app store is the relationship between the dev's and the gamers where input and feedback is ENCOURAGED. I would like to think that a positive review can in some small way help to directly impact the sales of a game where credit is due. I don't mind seeing a user review quoted at all as long as it is truthful and representative of the game/app it might save me from reading too many others when deciding whether or not to buy.