3D Gaming on iPad/iPhone - Without Glasses-

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Seishu, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    #1 Seishu, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    I got this press release email today from Big Head Games about a way to play 3DS style games on the iPad/iPhone platform.

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    ehh this doesn't seem to good.... the ipad really isn't a primary gaming device most people use it for buisness.......(like my dad) so I guarentee lots of people wouldn't want a 3d ipad. also nintendos 3d is adjustable according to how you want. this is a plastic sheet that is only one setting. no where close to the 3ds. also the 3ds is a primary console device. 3ds is cheaper by like 200-400 dollalrs.

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    You've been had!

4. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    #4 Seishu, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Yeah I wasn't too sure whether it was a joke or not since other sites were posting about it. If it is then I do apologize. :p

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I don't rate 3D in anything but cinemas and even then just for novelty value. It's sad seeing the 3DS has worse graphics than the original PSP despite being supposedly more powerful I personally think it's because they have to do double the display visuals for the 3d effect.
    Anyone who doubts this just look at ridge racer on both devices and bear in mind ridge racer was a PSP launch title and it still looks much more detailed than the 3DS version.
    I don't think this sheet for ipads will ever go anywhere there won't be a big market for it so no one will make apps/games to take advantage of it. It's an interesting Idea though I wouldn't mind seeing it working in person.

edit: guess I've been April fooled posting this duh

6. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

PSP's resolution is 480x272 and the 3DS' is 400x240 (2x) so the graphical discrepancy shouldn't be anywhere near as large as it is. I'm wondering if there are other elements at work here like lack of anti-aliasing in early games that's causing the 3DS games to look as bad as they do. Ridge Racer 5 on PS2 is a perfect example of that, the game looked like crap for the very same reason. I do not want any kind of stereoscopic 3D on my iPad, particularly after playing around with the 3DS demo units.

7. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Are you serious? The 3ds can run unreal engine... but thats off topic this does look like a april fools joke

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #8 Teknikal, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
    Last I heard the 3DS was below spec but it doesn't mean anything anyway as I was playing unreal on a pentium 2 at least a decade ago. All you need to do is look at the graphics in any case they speak for themselves.

Not even mentioning the headache reports and the black screen of death.

9. Spamcan

Unreal 3 engine, but since the iPhone 3GS and modern Android phones can run the Unreal 3 engine it would be fairly pathetic if a dedicated gaming device released in 2011 could not. The issues with the early games might be worked out in the near future but the early titles do look a bit bad.

10. wertyuio

wertyuio Active Member

Mar 20, 2011
    it's just an engine... efficient as it is, i'm sure even the first pentium processor could run unreal engine 3.

point is, game engines are not an accurate representation of hardware capability.

11. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Yeah, don't believe anything you read for the next 24+ hours, it's very rarely true, unfortunately :p

12. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm not really a big fan of 3D.

I hope Apple doesn't release iPhone 3D.

13. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    My point... the iphone is supposed to be a buisness phone. Apples trying to hard to make a primary gaming device... this really has to stop. I can undestand a 3D ipod touch but not iphone thats going TO far

14. Spamcan

Wait, the iPhone is a business phone? Seriously? It's pretty much everything except a serious phone for business.