List Of Point & Click Adventure Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheFamousEccles, Jan 17, 2010.

1. webshark3

webshark3 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    A couple originals

How could we forget a few originals?

Transylvania Adventure
    Mystery House

and a weird knock-off
    Proscenia

2. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Again, if the true intent is to list Point & Click games, none of these would qualify. however, the first two were quite fun to go through again (though I'm not sure how much I would have appreciated them had I not played them the first time around back in the 80s). Proscenia was just weird and not very well written. However, if the OP does decide to include all of these, then we'd need to add Masquerade Deluxe as well. There's also another Escape game out (something to do with Houdini or magic or something), but I don't remember the name of it right now. I'm almost thinking we should expand the list to be just "adventure" and have two categories - point & click and "traditional" for lack of a better word. Traditional would include games like Mystery House, Transylvania Adventure and Masquerade Deluxe.

3. webshark3

May 10, 2010
    One way or another, I think these should be in the list. As I recall, Mystery House gave birth to graphic adventure games (but lacked P+C for obvious reasons).

It would be hard to exclude Mystery House but still include something like King's Quest. Like saying "Sorry Grandpa, but you're not invited to your own party." :)

4. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    How bout honorable mentions? :)

5. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I agree with you in spirit. In fact, check out this article that I wrote for iPhone Life magazine regarding adventure games. It appears to have been truncated, because I actually wrote about Transylvania as well, but you'll get the gist. I guess my point was - do we keep adding all these things just because they make sense to us, or do we get this back to what the OP originally intended? Both the games you mentioned are worth having on an adventure game list, but really aren't appropriate if they aren't Point & Click.

6. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    #106 TheFamousEccles, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    I don't have a problem with adding general adventure games to the list. I think that most fans of P&C games are fans of adventure games, and vice versa.

My only problem is with the logistics of it. Right now, my first post has used up all of the characters, and there are some iPad only games I want to add. Should I just make another post with a list and link to it from the front page? I'll start working on it now, but I want your input on how I implemented it.

7. TheFamousEccles

Dec 19, 2009
    #107 TheFamousEccles, Jun 8, 2010
    Delete

8. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I've seen a couple threads were people were making lists and instead of posting the lists directly on the thread they would just provide a link to somewhere that sported an Excel like interface. Unfortunately I don't know where that "somewhere" is, but maybe you could do something like that? Then it wouldn't matter how big the list got.

9. TheFamousEccles

Dec 19, 2009
    #109 TheFamousEccles, Jun 8, 2010
    Delete

10. TheFamousEccles

Dec 19, 2009
    I suppose I could try that. I imagine something like Google documents would do the trick.

Too bad I read this suggestion after I already started posting.

11. TheFamousEccles

Dec 19, 2009
    Thanks to a friendly moderator, I no longer have to figure out how to use Google Documents.

Tell me other adventure games that are missing, which I'm guessing number in the thousands.

12. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I wish. There are a few adventure games, but not nearly the numbers there should be. Of course, that might change drastically when iPad development really gets rolling.

13. webshark3

May 10, 2010
    Thanks for the link Eric. Some great reviews there. I'm currently playing Broken Sword. Best Adventure Game experience I've had in (wow) 12+ years(?). I came from a period where my games were all based in the Sierra worlds, so I never played the others (LucasArts, etc.). I either never had the money nor the computing power when I was younger, so I stuck to Sierra. Now I have the money AND computing power, so I can go back and "reboot" my childhood a bit. :)

Ironically, I had serious issues getting Grim Fandango to run on a Core2Duo because it was too fast. Amazing. I spent my life waiting to get enough computer power to run every game of my childhood dreams, and when I have it, I spend a week tweaking it to emulate a 486.

For me, the iPad is the ideal platform, and I hope a lot more games can be ported.

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I was a Sierra child as well, but I did venture out somewhat into the other realms. In fact, I technically was an Infocom child, and then I upgraded to Sierra :) I didn't get into all the LucasArts stuff, but I remember Loom with much fondness. I think I actually have Grim Fandango sitting around my house somewhere, but I've never actually gotten around to playing it. I agree about the iPad, though, and I hope we see both new iterations of the old series and some remastered versions of the classics.

15. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I'm playing Hector on my iPad and, while it plays really well, I'm left with the feeling that I'd like a native iPad version on it even better. So yes, bring the iPad point-and-clicks on!! :)

I also spent more time with Sierra than LucasArts, although I did play some of them a bit. However, I actually finished the Space Quest, Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry games. :) Good times, going back right after school with a friend to hammer on those puzzles...

16. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    What, no King's Quest? Or how about Quest For Glory? You're missing out on some good stuff if you've not delved into either of those series.

17. webshark3

May 10, 2010
    sarien.net

Hey guys,

There may be enough of us here to petition http://sarien.net/ to make their site iPhone/iPad friendly. It almost works, but no keyboard support. Of course, the site is probably more concerned about stability than compatibility right now.

18. TheFamousEccles

Dec 19, 2009
    I've always been more of a Lucasarts fan. Come to think of it, I haven't played any Sierra adventure games, even though I was a Lode Runner addict.

I've never heard of that website before, it looks neat. Playing without sound feels wrong though.

19. webshark3

May 10, 2010
    Yeah, it needs sounds. But the multi-player is cool.. but also feels wrong. :)