Rocking Pocket Racing Engine Tech Demo

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by RPGGuy, Sep 24, 2009.

1. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
  2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #2 ImNoSuperMan, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    Didnt you just make another thread for the same???

EDIT: Here it is..
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=26828

I think you created the new one as it needed to be in the Upcoming section. You could have simply asked a Mod to move the old thread too :)

3. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I put it in the other one because I don't think many people actually read the developer forums :) I've been seeing a number of posts lately that exist in more than one forum with the same replies. Anyone know how to do that?

4. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Dont think that`s possible. Btw it doesnt belong in either of the section IMO and should be in General Game discussions I guess.

5. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    My bad, I was thinking the 'newest releases' section on the front page was a different forum. IMO the vid could go in either section because it's related to RPR and other developers would know what I'm talking about with the technology used.

6. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    To be fair, we've had shadow mapping in Touchgrind since its release in November, and that's without the new fancy hw ;)

Still, pretty spiffy.

Cheers!

7. sio2interactive

Mar 2, 2009
    #7 sio2interactive, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    Well I've been personally using shadow volumes with SIO2 for quite some times now... and also without the new hardware... using the same method as they are using on PS2 or XBox, work like a charm with ES v1.1... Nothing new here, still alot of work have to be done with the technology... ;)

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I doubt you are using real shadow mapping which has object self shadowing. It requires the use of pixel shaders to compare depths. It's not the same as just projecting an image.

9. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    While the stuff you're doing here is technically quite interesting, for a tech demo, it's lacking in aesthetics. You can see obvious stitching artifacts where the floor textures line up. There's lots of aliasing issues (in large part because of the video resolution, I'm sure). And the geometry being drawn doesn't appear to involve all that many polygons - it's hard to see whether these techniques will scale to a real game. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.

10. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    The seams on the ground are because it's actually a tiled map used in other games like Blue Skies and Dark Raider but drawn in 3D. I didn't make any effort to make it a seamless texture in the demo. My code repeats tile 0 when the map is out of range so that's why you're seeing some seams at the edge of the world. My plans for this are to build a tiled map of a city and then add 3D buildings on top of it.

I have been playing with the shadow maps to try to get them with more resolution. I'm looking into LISPSM and TSM's for that.

There's about 1000 polygons per car, 5 cars, and the scene has to be drawn twice. The shadows and bump mapping could be toggled off too. Of course I want it to be playable with all the features.