[Fighting Game] Kinetic Damage

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by KineticDamage, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KineticDamage

KineticDamage Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    http://toucharcade.com/2012/12/07/upcoming-indie-fighting-game-kinetic-damage-looks-legit/

Thank you Toucharcade :)

Sidenote :
    If game goes well at release, not only will I work on setting up online multiplayer, but also bring AAA quality models. Plus other things ;-)

Kinetic Damage is targetting gamers who love the legacy of fighting games mechanics, but who are searching for some kind of evolution of this well-known gameplay.

I hope you'll enjoy it :)

2. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Congrats on getting the front page coverage. That's awesome. I hope this has a successful launch.

3. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #43 defred34, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    Just a question - will this game be coming to Android? If yes, will it have a simultaneous launch as iOS?

PS: Also, will the local multiplayer support cross platform play or not?

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I love the customization i see on the video. Reminds me a bit of Fighter Maker. Will be instabuy for me.

5. Oliver Splash

Oliver Splash Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Congrats KD, wish you all the best at launch! :)

6. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    Thank you guys,
    I can't wait to let you play this :)

Yes it will, but with a slight delay from iOS release (matter of weeks). The reason is that the IAP billing system (used for the only IAP : getting the full game) works differently on both platforms, so I'll have to code two different ways of managing it.

Precisely ! It will.
    And that's the other reason why I'm waiting January to release the game :
    Actually I've coded my own local multiplayer framework, which works very well (and which already supports cross platform multi), but it doesn't support Adhoc wifi. That means in order to see a device, you have to connect to a Wifi hotspot first, which imo sucks. (And creating Adhoc Wifi management is not trivial, so would delay the release even more)

So I've decided to let my own version apart, and adopt an external one : Qualcomm's AlljoyN. AlljoyN is an awesome (opensource) solution that let's you discover other devices (cross platform) without having to connect to a hotspot.
    Actually they released a Unity plugin for Android, but not yet for iOS (only the Obj-C solution). They mentionned releasing it before end of the year, so I'll take advantage of Apple's December closure to wait for it :)

To ensure KD is releasing in early january at all costs, I'm parallelly continuing to work on my homebrew Wifi solution, though. Just in case of.

I'll keep you in touch !

7. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    If you want an honest opinion, you should have two versions of your game. One trial version that is free and can be unlocked via IAP, and another that is paid and unlocked from the get-go.

I would never bother to download a demo then get the full version via IAP. It may work...I don't know. But its best to get both options out there.

8. User58394

User58394 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    #48 User58394, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    I don't know, but the attacking confuses me. Otherwise, it looks great!

Btw, how many characters can you create? Will there be more character slots, if there's only six?

9. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #49 KineticDamage, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    Buying full game via IAP is faster than [going to Appstore, searching for the full game version, and tapping on "purchase"] :)
    Plus, having only one centralized version contributes to clean an already over-clustered appstore ;)

Attacking is pretty simple, and won't get you lost from your traditional fighting game schemes : 4 buttons (fast punch, strong punch, fast kick, strong kick).
    For specials, it's even simpler : holding the "S" button will turn those 4 buttons into special buttons, which you will only have to press/hold to trigger the action.
    Anyway there's a well-crafted ingame manual, also containing movelist, which is even available during fights via pause menu :)

I wanted to give some choice to players, but still make that choice valuable. So you'll get 3 fighter slots.

Don't worry, I've thought about the times where you would want to change Art, without having to start an alt all over :
    in Career Mode, in the Shop, you can convert your actual fighter to any other Martial Art. It will convert all your combos, specials, and even Art Special outfits to the one you chosed. It will also keep your current partner and implant.

Price is reasonable, you'll be able to afford it by winning approximately 10 Career fights.
    Career fights rewards also scale with their difficulty (5 levels), so it could be less than 10 fights if you're good enough to win against harder opponents.

Although, to keep that Art conversion meaningful, the more advanced your fighter is, the higher the price (based on the number of combos, specials, special outfits and implants you got).

This pricing mechanic works quite well, as the more advanced your fighter is, the higher difficulty you will be able to face in Career events, therefore the higher rewards you'll get. Money rewards also scale up with the number of rounds you'll set per fight in the options, so hard, long fights will be more rewarding than 1-rounders.

10. adriilabsjoy

adriilabsjoy Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    cool any news on this?

11. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #51 KineticDamage, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    Totally :

Qualcomm seems to take a bit longer time to provide a framework for its Unity version of iOS Wifi device discovery, so seems like I made the right choice to continue developing my own solution besides.

I'm actually finishing the network synchronization algorithm, so that even with a small lag (even wifi got some) you don't get a messed up sync.
    That is the very last bit of work to achieve before release (and is actually quite advanced in completion), so I'm still very confident in a January release :)

Another news : as soon as Unity supports Windows Phone (= "soon"©), Kinetic Damage will also be released on that platform (depending on Microsoft validation, but I guess there's no difference with Apple/Google).
    I got my hand on a Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 920), and the OS is a real beast, I really want KD to land on that ecosystem.

12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    OOoh-YEAH! Been waiting for this! Almost finally here! Can't wait!

13. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Any chance some of us here can get our hands on a early copy of the game upon submission? I'm dying to see it in action for real esp since it looks mega fluid in the gameplay trailer!

14. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #54 KineticDamage, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
    Hi Defre,

I'm actually unable to deliver any copy before submission, but don't worry, things are coming really fast. I guess I will send it to Apple within 2 weeks.
    (This is an estimation, though, but I can't see why it would take any longer)

You will also be able to test it for free with 2 martial arts as soon as it hits the store (free version got 2 martial arts, quick matches and 1 level).

I'm super glad to see such an enthusiasm :)
    Although I really want to make sure the version you will all got will be the most perfect possible gameplay I can put out, without a single bug.
    I'm actually working hard (yep, on Christmas day), on network responsivity, so there's not a single visual desync. Works good so far.
    Network syncing is a tense thing to work on for fighting games, as every milisecond counts :)

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cant wait for this. Im in for some beating.

16. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    I wish you all a happy new year :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. adriilabsjoy

adriilabsjoy Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    happy new year to you too , well i hope i could see this next week

18. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Great stuff here. So any update? When can we expect this to lunch?

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Why would you want to put this in your stomach? :D

20. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #60 KineticDamage, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    Hi guys !

Some news, indeed :

I actually had a super hard time setting up a proper synchronization algorithm for multiplayer. Syncing two players in such a fast paced genre as fighting games is a pain, believe me :)
    So after several works and reworks on a good sync model, I ended up with a very good news for you :

I ended up building a network syncing model that is (partly) inspired from GGPO.
    That means Online ready.

Right now, like I mentionned earlier, I don't have the resources to support a full online experience, but that news means practically no work for me whenever I will decide to create an Online feature.

I'm now entering the multiplayer test phase with friends, which should go smoothly. I'll post some videos :)
    After that, I'll be packing up the product, and send it to Apple.

Cheers

edit : as a reminder, creating a videogame is not an easy thing when you want to "make it right" (= zero bug, proper experience). Whatever the time it has to take, I won't release it until it is "right". But this shouldn't be that long now, and you're still welcome to ask for some progress :)