What MORE Marketing can i do for my app?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by layzerboy, Mar 18, 2011.

1. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    I have posted on blogs, forums like TouchArcade, websites, YouTube, local sites, etc but what more can be done to push up NewtonApples?

App Store Link: http://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/newtonapples/id417698312?mt=8

I have read everything there is written out there for marketing and followed it. The game has gotten many 5* ratings but the downloads and numbers are just not there.

Any thoughts on this?

2. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Honestly I cant tell whats going on in the screenshots. The art style is different and unique so thats a plus but gamers got to look at the screenshots and tell whats going on in the game.

3. SuperFunApps

SuperFunApps Well-Known Member

yemi is right, think of your app as a novel that has to grab the reader from the first sentence. or a song that needs a catchy tune before the long buildup. once you're known, you can tease, but for now - you gotta lay it out FAST.

4. layzerboy

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    Gotcha.. so how or what should i change/add in your opinion to make them understand or see what the game is about?

5. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    Your first screenshot should show gameplay, not a title screen.

Overall it is not even obvious what kind of game it is. Is it a puzzle game? tower defence? educational? Make it clear.

6. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I'd consider to raising the price slightly while simultaneously introducing a lite version. You can see how that goes, and you'll have the option of going on sale for another burst of visibility later.

The game looks interesting and has a unique art style, but as other folk have said, it isn't at all obvious from the screenshots what the gameplay is like or whether it might be fun. People will take a chance on something like this if it's free, but there are so many other established, excellent 99 cent apps that you'll have an uphill battle unless the screenshots scream, "this is fun."

7. Xori

Xori Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Noticed that the size of your game is 25.7 MB. This can be very ristrictive, as Apple has a 20 MB limit on game downloads over 3G - this means that people have to be on wifi to download your game

8. layzerboy

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    all valid comments - i thank you all from the bottom of my heart :)

9. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    whoa! it looks tough :(

I don't like the drabness and darkness of the screenshots - the icon is alright but it's definitely out of the league of a lot of the higher-production value games (it looks a little slapped together). The name doesn't tell me anything or curious about the game - makes me think of science and gravity, while physics games are definitely in right now this doesn't look like it plays at all like what I'd expect.

Honestly having 8 reviews for a game, these days, makes me think "the dev was only able to get a few of his buddies to review it" which translates to "no one has really bought this, so why would I look at it?"

I am not saying it is a bad title, I am just judging a book by it's cover since that is all the appstore really is nowadays.

There's a ton of things you can do to promote. Address your screenshots and icon, even your name - these are the first things anyone will see. Simply compare all this stuff against what's hot in the appstore at the moment. What are all those games doing that you aren't, relative to those factors?

Get your game out there, do some promoting. Find ways to get people to talk about your brand, your game. Maintain a thread and give out codes or other things to get people to realize you exist. Once you start getting a little enthusiasm about your game and yourSELF, people will start to investigate what you are actually selling. And if it is a little different and funky, like your game seems to be, that might be the spark you need to get some attention.

Going free is always good. It will get you some added downloads and ratings for sure. Again, make sure you promote such an event (press release, threads, promotion, submit the news around, twitter, facebook, etc). There's tons of people you could partner with to help get promotion for a temporarily free app (dailyAppDream, FreeAppCalender). There's expensive ones as well, be aware.

I see you've got a lite so I will definitely check that out, now that you've piqued my curiosity :) Mind that if you never made this thread, I would never have realized this app exists!

Anyway, this is the same Q&A session that a lot of people have gone through by now, in this exact same section of the forum. The takeaway these days is that it's no longer simply enough to develop and release a good game, of equal importance (hell, more so) is how one goes about promoting it. Expect to make mistakes, expect to spend some money.. but if you are really wanting to find success in here, those things will bring you closer.

10. layzerboy

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    i hear you.. its not about making good games but now its about making great games and getting noticed.

as the pool of apps gets bigger, you have to do all you can to stay afloat...

11. SuperFunApps

SuperFunApps Well-Known Member

honestly, you can't do much else but tip the scales of luck in your favor and then hope it gets noticed by some loudmouths :)

12. Alistair Aitcheson

Alistair Aitcheson Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Game Developer
    Wiltshire, UK
    #12 Alistair Aitcheson, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    This is all really useful, as I'm in a similar position, and there's definitely lessons here that I can take away from this. So many thanks to layzerboy for starting the thread, and for everyone else who's responded.

My app is here: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/greedy-bankers/id417814882?mt=8&ls=1

Perhaps people would have some advice on where I'm going wrong as well?

Edit: For fear of hijacking layzerboy's thread, is it better I started my own thread about this instead? Don't know what the best etiquette is here on the TA dev forums, and I don't want to cause anyone problems :)

13. robdog

robdog Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Coding
    San Diego
    I showed my daughter the screen shots of Newtons Apples..

she said it looked like a "school book".. whatever that means..
    maybe you need to brighten up the colors. more cartoony?

14. layzerboy

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    You can start on your own or hitch on mine, dont matter :)

my comments are - name and gameplay dont match
    graphics are nice , i wld love to play it but at first glance, i would ask myself if i wanna play looking at the pics. i am sure your OST wld be wicked :)

15. Alistair Aitcheson

Alistair Aitcheson Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Game Developer
    Wiltshire, UK
    Thanks for the feedback. Any ideas what I could do to improve the pics? I'm thinking I might add some cartoon fingers and arrows and things on top, to show how the game is being played, rather than just what it looks like.

I've started my own thread about the game here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=88730