Prior Videogame Experience Research Study

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Greendude123, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Greendude123

Greendude123 New Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Hello all,

My colleagues and I from the Illinois Institute of Technology are conducting a research study to develop a measure of prior videogame experience (PVGE), intended to help develop and use learning games. Currently, we are trying to link situational and dispositional factors with PVGE through an online survey to validate the new scale. Please help us with the research by participating in this brief and confidential survey, approved by the university's institutional review board. The link is provided: https://iitresearchrs.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6qZvi2oTDyXwbYN

I would be glad to answer any questions or concerns.

Thank you!

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #2 Nullzone, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Sounds interesting, I'm in. I'll have to hop off in a few minutes, will try to make time for it tomorrow.

Do you have some background material/information on "dispositional and situational factors"? I'm curious which ones you work with.

Minus points for not having Attack Helicopter on the silly "what's your gender?" list :p

First thing I notice (decided to take a look anyways):
    It would help if your section on school/education were less US-centric. The European systems for example are quite different, and I have no clue were German Gymnasium (highest-graded school type) would be on your scale.

Oh, and it should say "high*est*" instead of "What is the *higher* grade or year of school you completed?" in that headline.

3. Greendude123

Greendude123 New Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Thank you very much, Nullzone! The feedback is great.

Regarding the question on education, true. We should have considered non-American audiences. In fact, I'm rather embarrassed, having been taught in school in Europe for years. That particular question came from a PEW survey (a prolific American research agency). The highest level of education in America is post-graduate education (a master's degree, which is a step toward a PhD or another degree beyond a master's).

I am sorry! I meant no disrespect to anybody identifying themselves as a helicopter, haha. Wow, I haven't seen that reference in years.

Yes, I can send you some of our materials in a private message.

Thanks again! Very much appreciated!

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #4 Nullzone, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Thanks a lot, Greendude! Got your PM, good bunch of reading material for the weekend ;)
    And don't worry, Europeans make the same mistakes, only the other way around. Good study design is damn hard, even I as an interested outsider know that much.
    Just going through the survey, I'll send you some feedback later.