Shardlands - Fantasy/Scifi Puzzle Adventure

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Rrraimo, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Rrraimo

Rrraimo Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Managing Director & Co-Founder at Breach Entertain
    Tampere, Finland
    #1 Rrraimo, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    Hello TouchArcadians!

We're a new independent game studio based in Tampere, Finland and we're thrilled to present you our upcoming iOS fantasy/scifi puzzle adventure game, Shardlands.

[​IMG]

We just started the company in the beginning of the year but we've been working on this first game for over a year now and our proprietary game engine even longer than that.

We're not ready to reveal too many details about the game yet but we can tell you that it's set in a desolate alien world where the player needs to unravel mysteries, solve puzzles and avoid horrors that inhabit the ruins of an old civilization. The game has tap-to-move controls and touch interactions - absolutely no on-screen directional controls or buttons.

Shardlands will be released later this year for iPhone (3GS and up), iPad (all) and iPod touch (3rd generation and up) with support for retina graphics on the new iPad.

We'll be posting updates here on this forum as well as on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/breachent), Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/BreachEnt) and our website (http://www.breachentertainment.com/) and if you're more interested in the development of the game, you can follow our creative director, Aarni on Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/fiftyseventh)

UPDATE 2012-05-21:

Locations Trailer:

UPDATE 2012-07-20:

First Gameplay Footage:

UPDATE 2012-10-12:

The game is now waiting for Apple's review and it should come out later this month. We'll set the release date once it has passed the review and we haven't found major bugs.

You can listen to clips of the soundtrack on SoundCloud

Some newer screenshots of Shardlands running on the retina iPad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE 2012-10-19:

Shardlands is finished and it will be released next week! The exact release date is October 24th.

-Raimo
    CEO, Game Designer & Co-Founder, Breach Entertainment Ltd

2. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    I look forward to hearing more about this

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    WOOO GOOO TAMPERE! :D (I live in a neighbour city) Also, the screen looks nice, can't wait for more info :)

4. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Can't wait to see more from this game

5. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    This looks great, will keep watching.

6. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    That picture is a nice tease, especially knowing it will support iPad Retina graphics. Definitely looking forward to more info. :)

7. Rrraimo

Rrraimo Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Tampere, Finland
    Added two new screenshots to the first post. Enjoy :)

8. Rrraimo

Rrraimo Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Tampere, Finland
    In case anyone's wondering, the graphics you see in the screenshots are all rendered in real time with fully dynamic per-pixel lighting. There are no pre-rendered background images or even lightmaps in use.

This high quality lighting model will be supported on the new iPad, iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. Older devices (iPhone 3GS, iPad 1, iPhone 4, iPod touch) will fall back to simpler shaders in order to achieve a smooth frame rate (30fps). In terms of performance issues, our biggest challenge is making the game run smoothly on the much slower CPU of 3GS-level hardware.

9. Sharontung66

Sharontung66 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Absolutely beautiful. I can't wait.

10. Rrraimo

Rrraimo Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Tampere, Finland
    Added two new screenshots to the first post.

11. Rrraimo

Rrraimo Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Tampere, Finland
    #12 Rrraimo, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  12. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Woah, really awesome video. The gameplay looks perfect for the touch screen. I especially like the look of the mini games. Even more excited for this now!

13. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    I totally agree. Have been following this thread since it started but didn't really know what to expect from the game. After seeing the vid things have become clearer and I am really looking forward to its release

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Ditto. This looks amazing!

15. charlie8bit

charlie8bit Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Montana, US
    Looks very unique, I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for updates!

16. seventh

seventh Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Game developer
    Tampere, Finland
    Thanks for the feedback. It's great to hear that someone is anticipating the release. If it wasn't said before, we are a team of four guys making the game in a basement. We are really excited to get the first version ready for release, which shouldn't be too far from now.

I have to say, when we started this project, we just ultimately wanted to create a game that plays great on touch devices and make sure it's a game we wanted to play ourselves. This is what we came up with after many iterations and I'm personally beginning to be very pleased with the game. I too think that it's very unique, which I find hard because when you're telling about it to someone, you can't really say: "It's like <insert a popular game>, but..." I sometimes laugh and tell to others that it's like a next generation Pac-Man, sarcastically :)

17. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    As in, you guys literally set up shop in a basement? That's freakin awesome :D And this is a lot of work for a four man team. Mad props to you guys.

Now that you mention it, I can see some similarities, although very subtle, between this and Pac-Man. Take for example, the rigid, somewhat grid-based movement system, and the orbs that you collect.

As for the laser puzzles, falling platforms, and path-restructuring system, well...I guess that's what you get from next gen game development. Haha. Yeah, this is definitely a brand new beast of its own. Can't wait to see, hear, or play more.

18. penguinspl

penguinspl Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Hell Yes!!! Cant wait for this game.Day 1 for me :)

19. Rrraimo

Rrraimo Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Tampere, Finland
    As my brother already mentioned, Shardlands really started from an idea to make a game that is perfect for touch devices. We're not big fans of virtual pads or virtual action buttons and also many gesture-based control schemes feel like they limit the gameplay too much. We wanted to make a game where the player can interact with the world in a very natural way, by simply pointing and dragging objects in the game world, and that is exactly how you play Shardlands.

You move the character and activate objects by tapping and move floating tiles and objects by dragging them on the screen. You can also control the camera with two fingers but that's all there is to it.