Is my hatred of GameSalad still justified?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MasterChief3624, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    Don't know about load times, but I do know the I used to DREAD the Unity logo. That's no longer the case, first off because I like their new logo, and second because the engine has greatly matured and now Unity games are some of the best on the App Store.

2. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    when I got my first computer you had to load a game program from a cassette tape, usually it would take about 10-20 minutes. Sometimes it just wouldn't load at all. You had to watch a screen of crazy black bars for a long time before anything would happen.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Games...were on cassettes? How much could you store on those things?

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well you used to also get compilations, so you would get a tape and on one side there were 5 games (a right pain trying to find the gap between the games so you could load it), then on the b side you had another 5 games.

I 'think' the maximum were 90 minutes ? (A C90), or were there C120's i cant remember.

Most tapes didnt have much on them as they just needed enough for the game.

Bear in mind back in the 80's the Commodore 64 had 64k, the ZX Spectrum had 48k, later on you had special 128k games which were much better.

Back then when you only had 48,000 bytes to code with programmers had to do a lot of very clever things to get the game within 48k. Nowadays 'some' devs dont seem to care how big the file is as it doesnt matter so much, but back then it was quite an achievement to get your game working fine in 48k.

God i feel old ;)

5. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    #25 Psiufoxx, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    I'm with ya on the whole feelin' old thing. It definitely irks me when these youngin's complain about a free or 99c game that they instantly downloaded to their mobile powerhouse of a gaming device. When way back when we basically had to bang 2 rocks together and call it a game. I couldn't even dream of such devices at the time :)

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha ha i completely agree !

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #27 Vovin, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

Shit, mate, I completely understand you because I've experienced it all, too.
    Feeling old now. Wish I could kick your butt. :p

Here you go, all you infidels!

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    That picture of the C-64 is brings back so many fond memories! Ditto to the feeling old after reading this thread, though it did take me down memory lane as well as bring up memories of some great old games! I used to trade copies of games with my friends as well!

9. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, I do realise that! What I meant was that developers stopped bothering trying to con, or possibly just got overlooked altogether, once EA and GL introduced bigger and better games.

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    That's right. But that has nothing to do with the game engine... GameSalad was designed for indie, starter developers in the first place. So I'm sure they knew, that top games won't be made with their engine. If some big company made a game with their engine, it would still sell even if it's made with GameSalad.

11. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    LOL, penises and tacos, two of the most import things in the mind of a 13 year old boy.

12. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    did you ever have a C-64? Did you ever play an Electronic Arts (back then they were "Electronic Artists" game, waiting for what seemed to be an eternity as the EOA (I think it was an O) changed from color to color?

13. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    My uncle gave me hundred of cracked C-64 games. back then, it wasn't piracy. Just like cutting a mix tap wasn't piracy or copying cassette to cassette. It was called WE'RE BROKE, we're kids, and no one gave a damn. No one gave 2 ****s before Napster came along. None of us was making money.

14. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Didn't have one for my C-64, but used one with my TRS-80. anyone else have the "turbo" cartridge for the c-64 that supposedly sped things up?