Twitter or Facebook? Which one is better to use for game promotion?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Casillero, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Casillero

Casillero New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    #1 Casillero, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    Hi everyone!

How to make users follow you on Twitter and Faceboook?
    Actually I’ve made the profile in both, Twitter and Facebook , got the number of followers and friends by adding the active users but from day to day I’m loosing followers.:eek:
    Still no idea how to make advertising campaign or promote the game in Twitter???
    Is there any some special tactic?
    I need your help! :D
    Thanks

Cheers.

2. facebook is better for promotion of games

3. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I would think twitter is better for promoting games.

4. Ryan el champ

Ryan el champ Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    subway sandwich artist
    chicago
    I also think twitter is better for promoting games. I personally only use facebook for catching up with some old friends.

5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I say Twitter is better, but you might as well use both since they're free :p The thing about Twitter is that you will get a lot of bots following you and I believe sometimes their accounts get shut down, so you shouldn't really feel bad if you lose followers. One thing that'll help you promote your game/get followers is to do giveaways. Whether it's iTunes cards or just promo codes for your game, it'll definitely help.

6. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I think Twitter is better for promoting games. Easier to retweet competitions and lookout for stuff. I follow a number of devs for this reason alone.

That and I don't have a FaceBook yet.

7. Maxime Briand

Maxime Briand Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Both!

While I'm not in the game development business, I guess my personal experiences are still related... I also think that you need to use both, but it all depends on your business model and what you're trying to promote.

IMO, it seems much easier to propagate info about new games and devs on Twitter, because it's so simple to retweet a post and share info while still being selective about what you promote. You need to develop a good base of followers first, looking for fellow devs/game enthusiasts but also video game medias, but then it's gonna pay exponentially. And if you have a contest on Twitter, it's gonna spread REALLY quickly. A common tactic, that I don't enjoy that much but still works I guess, is to say that you'll give away a prize after reaching "X" number of followers, or that only those who retweet you will be eligible. But, as I said, this feels slightly too intrusive for me...

On Facebook however, with so many pages and friends, I'll usually only follow the Pages of games I already own and play, or of the companies that develop games I like... so it depends on your game development history maybe. And unless my friends share a post from a page (video, contest, really interesting note/topic) I won't usually go as far as checking the pages that my friends are following.

In both cases, making sure that you write original posts and content (i.e. not the same for Twitter and Facebook) while keeping in mind that you want people to share those could make a huge difference.

I hope that helps a little!

8. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Twitter.
    I never do facebook contests, cause I don't want to bother my friends. :p

9. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    i would say both of them are effective. but you need to work hard and try different skills to attract more followers or fans.

10. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    twitter

11. Scrooge

Scrooge Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
  12. gamerstrack

gamerstrack Active Member

Feb 14, 2011
    twitt twitt

go for twitter think of different don't go for marketing only first generate interest and tell them what they aspect from you they you will right kind of followers.:cool:

13. weilies

weilies Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Game Developer
    Planet Earth
    i would say facebook.
    Coz the event, discussion, fan page which is the killer feature twitter doesn't has

14. Casillero

Casillero New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    #14 Casillero, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    by promotion you mean buying an ad on Facebook? I've tried it already, but I can't say that there was a huge effect. There were some clicks, but it didn't influenced sales that much.

15. Casillero

Casillero New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    by promotion you mean buying an ad on Facebook? I've tried it already, but I can't say that there was a huge effect. There were some clicks, but it didn't influenced sales that much.

16. Casillero

Casillero New Member

Feb 22, 2011

Thanks a lot.
    I have no experience of making contests in Twitter. Sounds nice.
    Please follow me on Twitter and Facebook.
    Cheers.