how do I figure out what I've got?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DaviddesJ, Jul 19, 2010.

1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I have a really stupid general iPhone/iOS question. I've got all these apps on my device. How do I figure out what they are? I just want to be able to do something like select an app on one of my screens and be taken to the App Store page for it so I can see what it is. Can I do that??

2. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    #2 sid187, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    to see what the app is. just tap it with your finger till it opens. to close the app you press the bottom at the button of the screen.

on your home page you should see a app store icon. it maybe in your task bar thing too. it will look like a broken triangle with something in it. you just tap it with your finger.

to delete a app:
    hold the icon down with your finger till the icons start shaking and a X appears.. tape the X.. it will then ask if you really want to delete said app.. this is how you delete a app. just hit the home key at the button at the bottom of the screen to make the icons go back to normal. I figure id mention since that question would be next after you downloaded something you no like.

chris.

3. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    OK, I do know that! I can run the app, but that doesn't tell me about it. What if I want to see the full name, the publisher, the version number, the reviews, etc., etc.?

4. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    #4 sid187, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    well to see the full name i guess you could do a search for it. when you are at your home page just flack the screen to the right.. and type in. or you will have to go to the about page of the app, in the app it self.

i guess you could search the app store and get the info that way. or better yet this maybe what you want.

http://appshopper.com

type in the name of the program. either by getting it opening the program or using the search. and then type that into the search bar of the appshopper.. and you will get the info i think you want.

i love appshopper.. tells you when it was released, price drops, increases etc..

i like appshopper if there is a app you want just tell it, and when it goes on sale it will email you. very handy not so good for the wallet. also i use appshopper to manage my apps..

about all i can recommend.. if that is not what you want.. maybe someone else smarter than me will know.. lots of them brains on here :)

chris.

5. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I guess it would be enough to even get the name. Sometimes I can't figure out the name, the text displayed under the icon isn't always the same as in the App Store (the full name is often too long), and sometimes it isn't displayed in the app either when I run it.

I would have thought there would be some way to get all of this information. Even just accessing a list of all of the apps stored on my device would be nice.

6. Scroll all the way to the left and type in the letter a or something into the search and it will show all apps from A.

7. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Good thought, occasionally useful, but it doesn't show the actual full title of the app (from the App Store), it just shows the abbreviated name (the one displayed with the icon on the device).

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Learn it. Your brain stores memories.

9. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Not so much any more. Just wait until you get old.

10. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    How do you not know the app that you downloaded?:confused:

11. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Why have icons at all? Maybe everyone should just remember what they downloaded and where to tap on the screen to run it. A game within a game.

I download games/apps when they look interesting, then later I plan to check them out, but there are lots of them and I forget what some are. Not helped by the fact that iOS doesn't display the full name so most apps abbreviate it in one way or another. Is this really such an unusual problem?

12. niezam

niezam Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    App Store
    You can always check your download history under your account, if you don't mind browsing all of them.

I hope Apple implement something easy on the App Store to show that we have download/buy the app/game before :)

13. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    How do I do that?

14. niezam

niezam Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    App Store
    On the iTunes - App Store, hover your mouse to your email(top right corner), drop-down menu - Account - Purchase History.

15. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Too many apps?

Folders!!!

Arrange your stuff in folders even in random at first. Label your folders: Platformer, RPG, Productivity, etc. Then just move them to the appropriate folders when you finally have everything inside the 11 page limit.

16. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Does this mean there's no way to do it from my device? Only on a Mac?

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I'm sure I will use folders in four more months when they are available on iPad. Still doesn't really solve this problem, though. I will still have a folder with "RPGs" and be trying to figure out what apps I have in it.

18. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Wow, thanks for the suggestion, but I tried it and it's virtually useless. It lists my orders, not my apps, so each line has several apps on it, most not even displayed. I can click on each order individually and view the apps contained in that order, but I'd have to open each and every one just to find a single app I'm looking for. :(

19. niezam

niezam Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    App Store
    Yeah, at least you can see the full name of the apps/games now. Searching for a single app, can't do that for now. Waiting for Apple side.

20. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Thanks. Can I download all of the apps I've purchased to my Mac, in any way other than syncing with my device?