Moonlights - World of goo simil.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JavierDavalos, May 26, 2009.

1. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Hey guys. One of the developers on another forum is working on this game and it looks interesting, seems to be like World of Goo, a popular game for the Wii and other systems.

2. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Looks awesome.

3. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Looks great. Do you maybe have an official website?

4. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    Nope that developer is just as independent as i am hehe.

5. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Do you have the link to the forum or thread on which he introduced the game?

6. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    That pretty much IS world of goo! I wonder if they would allow it. Looks great anyway.

7. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    isn't Tiki Towers also a World of Goo clone?

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Not really, in Tiki Towers and EleFunk(PSN exclusive) you use different materials to create an object (usually a bridge) that something must cross.

In world of goo you have little goo creatures that you use to create a an object to reach a goal where the unused goo creatures are collected.

So it's similar but not a clone

In moonlight you stretch points that construct rigid lines between them. In world of goo they are soft and crumble under their own weight.

You also have to reach the goal which is touching the moon

This game seems like a cross between World of Goo and Fanatastic Contraption.

I can't wait to see this released!

9. DieseliPhone

DieseliPhone Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    WOW - already looks quite polished!! Nice.

10. jptsetung

jptsetung Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Hello,
    I'm the one currently developing Moonlights. Thanks for the positive feedback on this preview. It's my first iPhone game, I come from Flash game dev.

The game is of course inspired by World of Goo but it's of course different, I added my personal touch. It's also different from Tiki Towers (I hadn't played Tiki Towers before staring the project). There were a lot of games using this kind of physics engine before World of goo arrived.

I don't want to compete with those great games. They are far better than Moonlights. They are far far away from what I can achieve, specifically on the graphics/animation side. For Moonlights, I try to focus on the gameplay, with simple but coherent graphics.

Note that there is also a (free) Flash version of Moonlights ready to be published on www.bonuslevel.org , when the game will be submitted and accepted on the apple store.

I also plan later to provide an online level editor in Flash for the iPhone game, this is an ambitious feature (the editor in flash is almost ready but the iPhone side , to download levels, is not) and I don't know if I will add it before or after the first apple store release.

Now I need your help on a simple question. For now the game has no sounds, do you think an iPhone game can be released without sounds ? I usually play without sounds, what about you ?

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Most of the time I play without sound as well. However I'm sure we are the minority on this one.

A solid sound to confirm the segment has been built
    A sound to confirm a segment has been removed
    And a mellow chime once the Moon has been reached
    Allow the user to play their own music while still getting those sfx

I'm a minimalist so I wouldn't need anything else.

12. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    Hey JPT it's carpy from the cocos2d forum.

There are lots of free sounds on the web, don't release the game without any sounds because that will come back for you in reviews. Just download a few wavs from the internet and put them there they don't have to be anything special.

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    They MUST make the soundtrack downloadable!!! ... and yeah, game, awesome :D

14. case

case Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Interaction Designer
    Michigan
    for background music please allow users to start a track b4 entering the app and have that be the BMG.

also check out Virt for some chiptunes, he might be interested: http://www.biglionmusic.com/

lastly, for level creation the easiest in my opinion is:

users create levels in the flash app through a desktop browser. levels saved to your server. users given a code. code entered into iphone app. level retrieved from server and downloaded to device.

oh, and if accelorometer is used for tilt adjustment, please recalibrate silently b4 each level and include a sensitivity slider in options. thx!

15. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Its my understanding that 3.0 offers devs access to music library (and by now you should be developing for the 3.0 sdk). It would allow access to selecting tracks for playback from within your game, so why not try that. Allow us to select a playlist, album or song to listen to in the background. Maybe, if this is possible, add a shuffle entire library if nothing is selected? I would also suggest, like others adding some simple sfx, if only to inform players that actions have been performed, level complete etc.

Anyway, the game looks awesome. :D I particularly like the 'swing' mechanic shown in the youtube vid, and the effect when a new 'ball' is created. Nice little touches like that help separate the game from others like World of Goo and Tiki Towers.

A few questions:
    1. Is there any variety in the properties of the 'balls' such as weight, size, grip etc that would add extra variety to the gameplay? Or also in the "links" that are created between them i.e. a super strong "link" or a flexible "link"?
    2. Are there any scores/ratings for completing levels? Would add to replay value if you had to score well (time taken, no actions, no. 'balls' used etc) in order to progress or to unlock bonus content (maybe harder levels?). This is one of World of Goo's greatest achievements - I enjoying revisiting levels to beat my previous best and to save more goo balls...
    3. Are there any achievements?

ps I think you are being harsh on yourself in regards the graphics. They are pretty nice, some fun effects going on and a fun, yet simple style, similar to World of Goo.

16. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    Thanks all, that was VERY useful, now I'm sure I absolutely ad sounds to the game and I've already started to work on this.

Btw, because of many demands, I've created a twitter to inform when the game is out : https://twitter.com/jpsarda

@nizy, about your questions
    1) The variety is not in the links and nodes, it's in the moons. There are many kind of moons (sticky moons, volcanic moons, icy moon, and stone moons, and a few other items). I thought about allowing different weight for the nodes, but I'm not sure I will get into this.
    2) Yes there are scores (number of moves), all levels have to be unlocked before you can go to the other one. for now the socres are local, but maybe online later.
    3) No achievements.

17. coolman

coolman Well-Known Member

Hi JPS,

Definitively you must add sounds to the game.

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Moonlight has been submitted for approval!

19. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    The game was quickly apprroved by apple.
    It's available for $0.99. All links here : http://www.bonuslevel.org/moonlights/

And there is sounds/music inside. So far, nice reviews by players.