Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    #501 Pony, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
    nvm.

2. iosgamer4s

iosgamer4s Active Member

Aug 19, 2012
    #502 iosgamer4s, Aug 19, 2012
    My apologies. Thanks.

That being said though, there are random glitches. For example, I just reached the second checkpoint in Westernesse. After defeating the first pygon in the second checkpoint and throwing the first switch, I was automatically thrown into the side of a cliff with no way out.

Thinking that if was safe to quit the game and start where I left off, I force quit.

Bad mistake. I lost progress from the second checkpoint and now starting all over again from the first checkpoint.

I realize the devs worked really hard to get this game out, but this losing progress and being thrown to a previous checkpoint is a little too much.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I hear ya and I'm with you on that. Disappointing how the ipod touch 4th gen. device is the latest of it's kind and yet obsolete, isn't it?

4. Adeeb246

Adeeb246 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Canada
    Question for the developer. I love Horns movement system, but sometimes it becomes a bit irritating and hard to control. Are you guys at all thinking about, or have already decided, to put in an optional d-pad?

5. iosgamer4s

iosgamer4s Active Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Arrgh. Stuck to a rock again. This time right after collecting the first egg/gem thingie.

6. iosgamer4s

iosgamer4s Active Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Now for the good news---

Wow. The mechanics in this game and the cutscenes has the potential for a decent tomb raider and/or assassin's creed type games. I hope Ubi commission's Phospor Games for the next AC3 or Splinter Cell iOS versions.

7. Adamo

Adamo Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2011
    #507 Adamo, Aug 19, 2012
    A lot of people have brought it up so we are keeping it on the table as something to talk about during our planning session for what's next. Great feedback! Keep the coming everyone! We're listening :D

Combos would make a fantastic addition ;)

8. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    And combos ^.^

9. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    #509 brerlappin, Aug 19, 2012
    I think it needs at least 2 sequels!

10. RunnyGnome

RunnyGnome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    I changed my mind, I think I will buy this after all. I'll post some iPod touch 4G impressions later for all you folks who haven't bought it yet.

11. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Would be much appreciated

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    You know, I'm really not looking forward to the updates for this game. Clearing all that space AGAIN... ouch. :(

13. Linebarrel86

Linebarrel86 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Cog in the corporate machine.
    In my skin...
    Thanks for biting the bullet to help others know if the iPod can handle this game.

14. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I will repeat my impressions which I posted earlier in the thread. ;)

The game will run on an iTouch, but it is obviously very, very different to the screenshots people have been posting from the later iPads and the iPhone 4S. It is not Retina resolution, all the textures are low detail and the effects are mostly cut out entirely. It looks something like an RPG on the Playstation 2 from several years ago. That being said, it runs at a reasonable framerate, occasionally glitching slightly or briefly freezing. It is still perfectly playable. Sound is fine, animation is fine, art design is still obviously good. The only outright ugly portions of the game are the 2D story cutscenes, where the textures are at such a low resolution it's not even clear sometimes what's going on - but even then the text and voiceover explains things fine.

There is currently a bug which stops iTouches - some, maybe all, I'm not sure - from going any further than the first mission from the hub world. The level will sometimes load, but it will crash inside a few seconds. (At least, this happened to me every single time I tried.) Phosphor's patch which should be out very soon supposedly fixes this bug and allows iTouches to play the game. It still looks very, very different to the screenshots people have been posting, and as far as I can tell the developers do not want to officially say that the game is supported on iTouches - even after the patch - because people will expect it to look exactly the same as the iPad 3 or iPhone 4S and then get angry with Phosphor when they realise it doesn't.

Would I recommend people play it on iTouches as it stands (assuming you can complete the game after the patch hits)? That's a tough one. Based on what little I did get to play before the bug hit I'd say only if you're prepared to make some big compromises. But if the rest of the game is anything like the opening it is still playable and it is still fairly impressive, even with so much detail unable to be displayed. Just got to wait and see, I suppose.

15. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Phosphor should put the paid version of Dark Meadow on sale to celebrate Horn's release!

16. RunnyGnome

Oct 13, 2011

These are my impressions as well. No retina, but the graphics are still pretty dang good. And I can confirm that you cannot get past the first level, but again that patch should fix it.

17. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    phosphor games I think the game needs
    Bug fixes (graphics, freezing, ect), more weapons, extra missions, game center, Achivments, cloud save, and light shafts.

18. Adamo

Adamo Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Great list! We really appreciate the feedback! Do people have any favorite weapons or costumes so far?

19. RunnyGnome

Oct 13, 2011
    Yo Adamo! I have a few questions regarding the patch;

1. When was it submitted, or has it been submitted yet?

2. Does it just fix the crashing or does it improve the Framerate as well?

3. Will you make me a sandwhich?

Thanks!

20. Adamo

Adamo Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2011
    1. Was submitted days ago.

2. Crashing and other nasty bugs. If you are having serious frame rate issues, I would suggest rebooting to free up memory. (I have about 100 games on my idevice and when I play something memory intensive like walking dead I have to reboot to regain my lost frames). Edit: just saw you're on iPod 4 it should help. It still won't be officially supported and I can't promise it will be crash free (the low memory really hurts :() but you should be able to play it more.

3. I can, but I can't promise it's freshness by the time it gets to you.