Question about transfering game saves...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RKRigney, Dec 17, 2009.

1. RKRigney

RKRigney Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Journalist
    Poplarville, MS
    Can it be done? I plan on replacing my iPod Touch tomorrow due to an unfortunate crack in my screen, and I was wondering if doing so will erase all of my game save data, or will I get all that data back when I sync with my applications in my itunes?

2. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Well I have a jailbroken second gen ipod touch, and there's a cydia app called 'AppBackup' which lets you ... *dramatic pause* backup your game files.

So lets say I don't want Assassins creed on my touch anymore, yet I don't want to have to start from zero (I'm stuck at one part :(), so I AppBackup it, and then delete it. When I resync Assassins creed later I can restore the backup and my progress is still there!

3. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    Yes you can, have your iPod a full back-up. Then on your new iPod, restore it.

4. RKRigney

Nov 26, 2009
    Journalist
    Poplarville, MS
    how do I do a full backup?

5. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Sync with itunes

6. RKRigney

Nov 26, 2009
    Journalist
    Poplarville, MS
    Okay, so I clicked encrypt iPod backup and it said it was backing up my ipod. How do I restore what I just backed up to my new ipod when I plug it in tomorrow night?

EDIT

Nevermind I figured it out :) Thanks for the help, guys!

7. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    When you first plug in a new ipod a screen in itunes will come up asking if you want to sync as a new ipod, or sync from a back up. Choose the back up option and select the newest date and time available.

8. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    What happens if you have 2 iDevices plugged into the same computer? Will there be 2 separate backups?

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I assume though, since each device is different iTunes would probably recognize that and save both backups separately. That's just an educated guess though.

10. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    So if you plug in a new iDevice, can you choose which backup to sync into the iDevice?

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yea I believe so, go to iTunes > Preferences > Devices and you can see the backups that you currently have.

12. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Oh ok. Thanks.