Carota! - A puzzle game for iOS

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by biminiroad, Feb 21, 2012.

1. biminiroad

biminiroad Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

#1 biminiroad, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    Hi all! Been a lurker in these boards and just keeping my head buried in the game I've been working on. Expected to finish and send to the app store by the end of the month!

Think Pipe Dream plus Tetris Plus. Very SNES-inspired, with 3 modes of play and 50 stages across 5 different levels.

I hope you'll enjoy it! Here are a few screenshots, with a video found on the site here: http://www.signal-blue.net/carota

UPDATE: nikhsterboi reminded me I can embed youtube here! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    The graphics look gorgeous and the gameplay seems to be excellent also. Probably an instabuy whenever it hits the stores. Any ETA?

Edit: nvm, it's end of the month/march

3. biminiroad

biminiroad Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Thanks LOLavi! I have about a week's worth of work left, some tidying up here and there. Can't wait to get it out! :D

4. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Holy jeebus! I just wet my pants in sheer excitement! Ohh, loving the look of this, it's a beauty.

5. Trinza

Trinza New Member

Feb 22, 2012
    This looks like it'll be a lot of fun! I really like the music in the youtube clip, too.

Any hint at what the 3 different modes of play are?

6. biminiroad

biminiroad Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Thanks, Trinza! I'll let my friend know, he's composed about 7 tracks for the game!

For the modes, there's a regular "arcade" version, which involves clearing levels with basic gameplay, a puzzle mode where you have a limited amount of moves to beat each stage, and Endless, where you can keep playing until you get a game over and play for the the highest score.

OpenFeint and GameCenter enabled for achievements and leaderboards, too!

7. biminiroad

biminiroad Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

I've seen other devs add some concept art to their posts, so I figured why not since I have some! :D Nothing special, and I'm definitely not an artist, but here are some of the original concepts for 3 of 5 of my level monsters. Then adding a screen of the stage selection screen, with some of those monsters pixel-ized. Hope you like!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    This looks a lot like the aMAZEing Labyrinth, one of my favorite board games and iPhone apps. Is the gameplay similar to that? If so, it's definitely an instabuy for me.

Is there a release date for this yet? :)

9. biminiroad

biminiroad Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Thanks, SkyMuffin!

I just checked out The aMAZEing Labyrinth (this one, right? http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/portabliss-the-amazeing-labyrinth-ios/)

-- It sounds really similar, actually. In Carota! you're supposed to move and rotate tiles, getting the character to jump over a certain amount of them. I think the main challenge will be in the puzzle mode, where you can only beat the level in a limited amount of moves.

I'm so-so-so close now, I think I should have it prepared by the end of the week if I can work my butt off. :D So mid-March might be safe to say!

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Yup, that's the one. :) I'm looking forward to your game then.

11. biminiroad

biminiroad Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Hi all! Very happy this weekend, finally got it submitted to the App Store Thursday evening, and have been enjoying the calm before the (mini, tiny, probably swift and fleeting?) storm! :D If all goes well, expect a release in the next week to week and a half.

And thanks for all the good vibes! It's really appreciated, coming from the (sans-music) one-man team who managed to get this game up in just my spare time. Can't wait for everyone to play. :)

12. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Very excited to hear this has been submitted! It looks fantastic, and I'm a big fan of the graphics style and the genre. Hope to play this soon! :)

13. biminiroad

biminiroad Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Anar, Sky, thanks for the encouragement! :D I was definitely nervous of showing off the graphics--I'm not an artist by any means, and probably think the graphics took more than any other part of the game, just because of how slow I am at it, haha. I'll try my best not to disappoint! :)

14. biminiroad

biminiroad Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

And excited to say: Carota! launches tomorrow, Tuesday 3/20 on the App Store (if all the settings I picked go right--I swear, iTunes Connect can be intimidating to me most of the time!). Thanks for all the encouragement, guys! Hopefully I'll see you on the "iPhone and iPod Touch Games" forum. :D:)