Anything like the old 8bit Contra, Super C, and Contra 3 games in the app store?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bacon-N-eggs, Apr 29, 2012.

1. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Just wondering if I have missed any games like the old 8bit Nintendo Contra games? I have and love League Of Evil one and two, but I'm looking for about the same thing but with longer more "side scrolly platformer-ish" vibes. :D

Contra would be perfect, jailbreaking is out of the question for now. I'll play/break this phone when I pick up another ;)

Thanks in advance! :)

2. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
  3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #3 Royce, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    Well, I wouldn't say it's like Contra, but if you like LOE and want longer levels and a gun, INC is good.

As for most like Contra, I haven't played SM:IA since it's iPhone only but it looks good. Gun Runner is a Contra-like infinite runner. Whatever you do, just stay away from the terrible Icefish contra clones.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #4 Exact-Psience, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    This pretty much sums it up.

And you might want to try Steel Runner too. It's one of the best runners now and has shoot em up mechanics similar to Contra.
    http://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/steel-runner/id496435390?mt=8

5. emjeeman

emjeeman Active Member

Apr 30, 2012
    How do you not know Iron Commando Pro???????? It's probably the closest to an 8-bit Contra clone. It's Contra with a different name and robots (Probotector? :p)

As for another 8-bit Contra based series, try the SuperBoss 1-3 games. They may not be as good, though. But especially try SuperBoss 2 (closest to Contra of the 3).

6. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Clash Force is free today.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #7 psj3809, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    Love the Contra games back in the day

As others have pointed out Star Marine is superb, well worth getting, Clash Force is a great Contra style game also with retro graphics. I really enjoy both games, theyre great.

Iron Commando as pointed out above is a nice traditional Contra style game, has those stickman type graphics but it plays well and theres a fair few levels.

I did buy some other Contra style games which from the images in the app store looked great but theyre shameful poor rip offs, even then i thought i'll like it but no the gameplay is so bad in them dont get fooled by some of these chinese copies, theyre shocking.

8. emjeeman

emjeeman Active Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Out of curiosity, what are these Contra style games you seen?

As for Clash Force, Shiiite! If I'd waited a bit longer, I could have gotten Clash Force without paying today... Ah well, the game is so epic and kickass, it's worth it :)

9. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    #9 headcaseGames, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
    It's coming along rather slow, but we are working on it. Controls are pretty awesome and feels much better than the usual "virtual D-Pad" crap. Expect this due late in the summer, or so.

[​IMG]

I apologize for the obnoxiously giant image, this rez was for a flyer/print and I didn't bother to shrink it :/

10. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Try

Shante's RR
    Swordigo
    Frogatto
    Terra Noctis
    The last rocket
    Meganoid(I think?)
    Max and the magic marker
    Soozis
    Fancy pants adventures
    Arcade jumper
    Beans quest
    Rogue runner
    Cordy
    Beans quest
    Robot wants kitty
    Covorite
    Mos speedrun
    Undead ocean
    Cheeseman
    Chocorun
    Robatto
    Lars
    Alien hominid
    I bit Ninja
    Storm in a teacup
    Commander pixman
    Kungfu rabbit
    Pizza vs skeletons

There's more but ur bound to enjoy some of those...

11. emjeeman

emjeeman Active Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Did you not read the topic?

He's asking for Contra-based iOS games.

12. The Bad Guy

The Bad Guy Member

Jun 1, 2011
    I wanted to fight the dude behind icefish so bad when he stole my money with the first Contra fraud, then I came back and he had more fake games:mad:

13. emjeeman

emjeeman Active Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I think I know who this Icefish clown is.

Visit classicgames.cn and you'll notice that many of the Flash Contra fan games there are extremely similar to the hunk of crap that Icefish released. The music, as well as the levels, in Icefish's Contra games are very similar to those flash versions. The guy you're looking for is a prick named Jian.

Lucky for me, I got all the games for free :)

14. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I gave him some alternatives based off of contra and loE and Platformers (not exactly like contra but all good Platformers)

15. emjeeman

emjeeman Active Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Yeah, well he's asking for Contra-like games. Most of what you provided are not based on Contra and loosely resemble Contra...

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Gunhead looks like it could be great BUT i'm worried about the 'revolutionary control system'. Hope they keep an alternative old fashioned one as well, touch screen buttons work fine for platform/Contra type games, hopefull it wont turn into some crazy tilt/swipe type game

True but a list of other good platform type games will be useful for many people to try, only takes a few seconds to look at screenshots on itunes. I've often discovered many great games due to someone putting lists out there

17. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    You're right to be skeptical, I'm not the 1st to claim "awesome new controls" only to have them not end up so hot, after all. Tilt works great for Doodle Jump, but for a run'n'gun/platformer there's no way it can give the player such precise control as is required for this type of game.

I am a superfan of Contra (and the like) and the only way I'd try to make a game like that, is only if I could do it complete justice. We've got it feeling really good at this point, but still too early to demonstrate it. In due time, keep your eye out!

18. Sri Ram

Sri Ram Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
  19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm not a fan of endless runners, i've played a few and everytime i wish there was a left/right button. Many of these would turn out to be brilliant 'Mario' esque style horizontal platformers.

Gun Runner has the potential to be a great Contra clone but sadly just another runner.

20. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #20 Darth Ronfar, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
    Cuz there aren't anymore... Just listing games as close to it I can think.

Star marine is the closest As mentioned

Gunman clive also looks interesting though I haven't played it