Universal Vritra - (by Salvo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 18, 2012.

1. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    since the price wuz lowered i thought id let folkz know + ive been playing it again. i cant pinpoint y it reminds me of that Masterp.e.a.c.e. thtz all m'Lord

2. Yup, it is fun, thtz all m'Lordz!

3. buzzToronto

buzzToronto Member

May 11, 2016
    Amazing relative touch controls due to resizable/moveable display and mulitipler

The gameplay experience on this iOS shmup is second-to-none...

As I mention in this thread http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=287378&goto=newpost, what sets this game apart is its usability!

See the attached screenshot, you can see that with this unique/customized display setup, I have lots of room for right-handed relative-touch control without the need to cover the screen!!

This is a very big deal, IMO, and every horizontal shmup for any mobile platform should seriously consider adopting this level of gameplay/display customization!

Attached Files:

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    While I'm happy that you've found a setup that works well *FOR YOU*, I can't do it. It's too sloppy that way. My thumb keeps wanting to go to the gameplay area where my ship is and I'm constantly having to pick up my finger and move it, so it becomes more of a hastle trying to fight with it than an enjoyable experience.

I've never had an issue with playing vertical shmups until I tried it with your 'optimal' setup... So there's that...

But again, good for you.

5. buzzToronto

buzzToronto Member

May 11, 2016
    #25 buzzToronto, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Thanks

@syntheticvoid --Thanks so much for your reply!

The tendency for your fingers to gravitate toward your ship-- that's really, really interesting!

I'm a bit surprised, as I find it completely natural to control the ship through relative movement.

Like moving a mouse pointer on a laptop with a trackpad.

Different strokes (relative strokes) for different folks!

I guess I just dislike having fingers covering the gameplay screen more than I like having fingers close to the ship.

Cheers!

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    No worries... I think I totally agree with your basic point though:;: the more customizable options you have, the better, as you never know how people will be most comfortable playing your game.

I do agree that the options given to us in Vritra are great, and do wish more developers would think about things like this... Though I personally don't find it necessary in order to enjoy most shmups. This is just me talking though. I have no idea how many gamers don't play shmups because of awkward-for-them controls, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a meaningful %. While not all games or genres would benefit from the addition of multiple control options, shmups are definitely one of the genres where typically more = better in terms of options. And if it could bring in more gamers to the shootemup 'scene', I don't, in any way, see that as a bad thing. It's when people start expecting it or harping on developers to do more... Trashing a gem because they can't resize the play screen or have to deal with buttons that it becomes an issue for me. I think I've gone way off topic... Sorry.

7. buzzToronto

buzzToronto Member

May 11, 2016
    #27 buzzToronto, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Good points

Great points, again. Thing is, a lot of games seem developed with a visual ideal (control-wise) that doesn't translate to a playable game in practice. And, what is the point of creating a beautiful game if it can't be played? If you make a beautiful game that has bad (or compromised) controls, then people will dwell on the bad controls instead of appreciating the game design.

The thing that's great about autofire shmup relative controls is that you (almost) never have to tap glass. You just slide. Tapping glass controls has to be the most unsatisfying gaming experience ever. But gliding in shmups isn't bad at all, so it's the potential for better, precise control in the iOS shmup world than in the arcade stick world that makes it worth paying this level of attention to control options. But, I think devs can certainly be forgiven for not considering/implementing customizable display/sensitivity options such as those found in Vritra. Not everyone appreciates or needs high levels of customization. It's just something about the shmup world that attracts a hardcore type of gamer that may actually care a lot! :)