Assassin's Creed: Memories (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TheMerc, Jun 29, 2014.

1. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    #1 TheMerc, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Though no official announcement has yet been made, some sharp-eyed people noticed this on Uplay:

[​IMG]

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Card battler. (p.")p <-- that's my two-thumbs-down emoji.

3. TheMerc

Jul 11, 2012
    Yep, I was disappointed when I saw what this game was too. It's especially disappointing when you consider last year's Assassin's Creed Pirates, which even though it wasn't an AC experience as one might expect, at least hinted that Ubisoft might be willing to attempt to recreate certain gameplay elements on mobile (much like what Square Enix is doing with Hitman, with the Go and Sniper games). To see them return to the standard fare card-battler games is disheartening to say the least... At this rate, it'll really take a while for iOS to have a proper Assassin's Creed experience...

4. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Oooh...
    There's no reason (yet) to think it will be "standard fare" though I must say.
    What they did with AC: Recollection was very innovative and unique for a card battler system. I totally loved that game... spent a fortune on the booster packs and enjoyed every minute of it.

I have high hopes for this, but the ongoing support is dropped like a lead balloon by Ubi if they sense it's not got the users they "expected".

As opposed to Hearthstone where you can feel safe that Blizzard will support it for many years so investing time and money there is a safer bet for a long term place to find players. That is my only concern with this Ubi effort but I am really intrigued what this will be.

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    While the "RPG" part of the description of Memories would indicate otherwise, I'll be hoping and holding out for a re-release (or reimagining) of Recollection (which would explain why Recollection was pulled). That would be just the most exciting thing I could imagine for iOS, next to the upcoming Star Realms.

AC:R was one of the most innovative and complex TCGs ever created, certainly one of the best for any digital platform (perhaps even compared to physical TCGs, right up there with Netrunner and the LCG edition of Call of Cthulhu), and one of the most polished titles I ever saw for iOS, from graphics and UI to writing, peripheral features and the f2p implementation (possibly excepting the netcode ;) ).

It is a shame that many still percieve this now long-lost gem as an attempt to cash in on Assassin's Creed name (which is what kept me away, intially, not being a fan of the AC franchise :) ), when in reality, it was a brilliant and inspired product from a passionate TCG team.

As per mine and Baracus posts above, there was nothing standard faire about Assassin's Creed: Recollection.

6. TheMerc

Jul 11, 2012
    ^^
    I know, I really dug Recollection too. However, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer a proper Assassin's Creed game (BackStab sort of proved that something similar to the first Assassin's Creed game could be done on iOS, so why not give it a shot?).

What I meant by "standard fare" is that the card battler genre seems to be the type of game a company will fall back to when they want to cash in on a property with little regard to the essence of said property. If this game manages to remain faithful to the essence of Assassin's Creed, then I'm good.

7. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Why can't mobiles have a real Assassin's Creed??? I don't want one more card game. Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Tomb Raider... Why does everything have to become a card game on mobiles?

8. Aezio26

Aezio26 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Director
    Newark on Trent, England
    My thought exactly, just look at the side scrolling action game they did years ago, that was good for the time, but come on all you need to do is what gameloft do and turn it into a action game.

Seriously all we need is something like infinity blade, for Star Wars I.e light sabre duels where you're a Jedi or something or assassins creed with a detailed assassin, it's not rocket science.

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah. Had Backstab only featured manual aiming and some more skill-based elements to its swordplay, I would have been all over that shit.

Very true. AC:R was a significant exception, though, as it was made by a small team with a passion for TCGs, and provided a truly innovative (actually, absolutely unique) card experience, with toooons of polish.

I've never been a fan of the franchise, but the writing in AC:R was good and the story elements were intricate, so I imagine the game just might have been true to the metaplot and narrative (if not the atmosphere), at least :)

10. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I loved Assassin's Creed: Recollection. However, I don't know if I want to invest money and time in another card battler that they'll just stop supporting again, sooner or later. I still am frustrated about them giving up on Recollection.

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As am I. That's why I'm hoping this is their redemption, and that Recollection was pulled for the sake of Memories. (Which would not justify the previous abandonment, but at least give us something similar to play :) And yeah, I would probably naively invest in this as well, my previoius experience with Recolleciton notwithstanding, if it is similar.)

12. Wikilix

Wikilix Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    OC, MD
    #12 Wikilix, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    Card games I've always found to be mediocre. That (somewhat) recent Star Wars card game was ehh, so I don't expect this will be any better.

Just waiting on an actual Assasin's Creed.....
    Maybe a port of The PSVita version......?

13. mejjos

mejjos Cancelled

Jul 26, 2012
    There's a soft launch out for some territories, anyone able to download it? It's been officially announced today.