Everything but the programming

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Mosey, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Mosey

Mosey Member

Apr 8, 2014
    (posted this in another area but moving it since this area might be a better fit)

Tell me if I am just being a dummy here: I am working on an app company that does almost all but the programming.

That is, finding new, raw games a developer made and if it has potential the next step is working with the developer on things like UX, level design, upgrading graphics (potentially via a freelancer). On top of that I have experience in things like game theory, addictive behavior influence (i.e. IAP encouraging game design), psychology and the like.

I also have experience in marketing (with seed/budget), PR, social media marketing, SEO and the so on.

Am I barking up a wrong tree that developers would even want this or do most think they do those things just fine, much less need a marketing, strategy, publishing company to help them and split profits?

I used to program before I moved over to the dark side of marketing and know it can be a totally different mindset and some developers know their weaknesses, but does it have a chance as a business model?

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    There is obviously a market it for it. That is what publishers do, or what graphic artists do.

Essentially you sound like you want to be a publisher. A lot of developers dream about signing with a publisher and letting them get them the millions of downloads.

3. Mosey

Mosey Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Kind of thought there might be, (if developers know they need it or not). Now the question is it over-saturated and do people seek it out, or is it more of a cold-call sales thing.

Well, not millions of downloads...

4. simpleinteractive

simpleinteractive Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2013
    London
    Personally I'd be happy to get someone to do "everything but the programming". My skill set does not include marketting and all the other stuff you mentioned. So I'd be happy to get a publisher if you are offering! ;-)

5. simpleinteractive

simpleinteractive Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2013
    London
    Hi there,

I sent you a PM. I am interested so please get in touch!