Best social gaming network and why?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Puzbox, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Puzbox

Puzbox Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Making fun games
    London
    Hiya,

We are wondering if we should just make our own score back end. How much do you guys use social networks like crystal or openfeint (oops I mean openbirdstrike) and why?

2. DPRICE81

DPRICE81 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    I use openfeint. I like how everything is laid out. You can see scores locally and globally and have achievements for points towards your overall openfeint scores. It is also the most widely used one. Crystal I'm not too sure about. The only game that uses crystal that I know of is angry birds. I havent played that in awhile. Plus is good too but their social gamilng thing is only used for select games and you have to entered your password everytime whereas Openfeint similar recognizes you when you log in to a new openfeint game.

3. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    GameCenter. - I was using it for a while While fooling around with Gold Edition of iOS4. And I liked it a lot. It was very easy to add people. Although it was not a complete addition.

4. Puzbox

Puzbox Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Making fun games
    London
    We're not allowed to use Game Center yet as developers.

5. kingmunchkin

kingmunchkin Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Will there be any other social network once game center launches fully?

6. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I know but you asked which is the best. and so far i think it's the best.

7. Puzbox

Puzbox Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Making fun games
    London
    Yep when its launched we will go for it right away. Openfeint does support GC internally though. Everything remains to be seen.

8. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Tricky question. I like the simple and unobtrusive way Plus+ works. Crystal is a very classy looking interface, very slick. OF is my least favourite, however, I am aware that many people like whoring up the achievements on there.

What it boils down to is... What you are going for with your game.

The worst thing about having your own system is that, in some cases, your hard work (as a player) may go unnoticed.

9. jacksoncombs

jacksoncombs Well-Known Member

i like plus+

10. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    i like the way tilt to live incorporated agon

11. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    I agree but I dont have any other games that use agon to see if it's just tilt to live that did it well.

I hate OF and Plus+ as someone who starts his games with little to no service often. It KILLS the start of a game unless your service is good. Lots of times I'm forced to start in airplane mode for Plus+ games because they wont let me play without logging in. Both need a way to be full on disabled in games if they are going to be that obtrusive.

12. Puzbox

Puzbox Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Making fun games
    London
    Here's the problem facing developers with OF:

1. if you start up at the start of the app, you can retrieve online data and scores just fine, plus you submit scores/achievements and get live response if an achieve is done or not

2. you cannot make use of their "network save card" feature if the person isn't logged in. So if you have the same game on multiple devices you might not get the data from one device to another.

Having said that I am listening carefully. Although Barnyard Bounce is a family/kids game, our next game is pretty much full on touch arcade style, risky, grotesque and a lot of fun. I want to get this 100% right, this is why I'm here on these forums, and interacting with you guys 1:1.

Based on what I've heard, you guys like the scoring aspect and online aspect of OF, but think its a bit sucky how it invades your face. Because of this, I am going to only enable OF on demand in our next game. So you'll have to actually tap the OF scores button to see if you beat someone else online. I personally think its a bit like a punch in the face how it invades your entire screen on first start. Both fruit ninja and my own previous game crashed at the start because of OF's server being momentarily down too. So opt-in is the way forwards for us - you'll have to actually tap the icon.

Having said that, the only reason I want to integrate OF at all is because it *might* bring in more revenue. I'm not actually sure if it adds anything at all to the gaming experience.

I don't see the point of developers hiding away from you guys. After all you're the guys I want playing this game.

If you want to provide more insights or ideas feel free to PM me here or mail me on my website, I am reachable and accountable, and above all you are heard.

13. Temujin

Temujin Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Are the social networks actually worth it tho? Personally I never switch any of them on when I get a new game. I think the little logo in the icon is a bit of a turn off too, but thats just me.